Best Spyderco for the $$

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Red

Best Spyderco for the $$

Post by Red »

I am new to the board but a life-long Spyderco enthusiast! I learned today (among many other things on this board recently, which is awesome) that the Delica was the first Spyderco for alot of you guys and gals. I need to get one for sure but what do you all think is the best/coolest Spydie for the money.

I realize “for the $” is subjective to income levels but I saw the Resilience come up in another thread and forgot how much I liked it. In my arbitrary opinion its the best Spyderco for the money. Why?

Makes me smile
Easy to sharpen
Spyderco quality
Cheap enough to avoid Ramen noodles-
Makes me smile

😀
167A0A49-5484-4B0C-BDDC-944B85BF96CE.jpeg
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Best Spyderco for the $$

Post by TkoK83Spy »

G10 Rex45 Manix 2!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Para 3 Lightweight in my opinion. It meets all of your requirements and then some.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Byrd Hawkbill. The Spyderco lineage shines through.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:11 pm
G10 Rex45 Manix 2!
I agree!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Red

Post by Red »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
G10 Rex45 Manix 2!
Ohhh, very nice!
Red

Post by Red »

Spydersense wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:12 pm
Para 3 Lightweight in my opinion. It meets all of your requirements and then some.
Dont have one but its high up on the list for sure. Edc a PM2 and a dragonfly often so that may fit both needs.
Red

Post by Red »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:14 pm
Byrd Hawkbill. The Spyderco lineage shines through.
Always wanted one. Closest I have come so far is the SE Tasman Salt 2 thats in the mail!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't think that the Byrd models qualify>> but I'll admit that for someone who can't yet afford a Spyder they might be a good starting point.

It's hard to argue against the Delica, Endura or Native models. All of those models give you a lot for what you pay for them.

And if you can get any of the three of them in better blade steels it's even better yet IMO.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Probably the Endura. Especially for some of the sprint steels.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

This is a tough one to answer because it is so subjective.. everyone is going to have a different opinion here. There may be as many different answers as there are responses..

If I were going to make a recommendation to someone selecting their first Spyderco, I'd ask them about their general knife size/carry/use preferences and go from there..

The short answer is.. pick one. Gun to my head, I can't really think of any Spyderco knife that isn't worth the money..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Red

Post by Red »

Danke wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:31 pm
Probably the Endura. Especially for some of the sprint steels.
Endura is a close second for me, such a good value in the VG-10👍
Red

Post by Red »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:28 pm
I don't think that the Byrd models qualify>> but I'll admit that for someone who can't yet afford a Spyder they might be a good starting point.

It's hard to argue against the Delica, Endura or Native models. All of those models give you a lot for what you pay for them.

And if you can get any of the three of them in better blade steels it's even better yet IMO.
I have to get a Delica soon, so loved by so many. Not sure why I never had one but definitely high up on the “want” list.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Red wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:21 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
G10 Rex45 Manix 2!
Ohhh, very nice!
Another vote for this one - man that was a great deal! But really, almost any Manix 2 is a great value. The CE or PE satin g10 manix 2s are only $122! And that for g10 scales, full liners, an awesome lock, excellent ergos, and s30v on a medium/large platform. All kinds of bang for your buck, and the fact that Manix 2 exclusives/sprints are typically only like $5-25 more is icing on the cake.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:

Point well taken. I guess I bent the rules a bit because they are under the purview of Sal Glessar. Cousins if you will. The OP alluded to an affinity for the Resilience and bang for the buck and since the Byrds are made from 8CRMOV13 as is the Resilience I may have overstepped. Spyderco does 8CR13MOV very well. In my experience the 8CR13MOV in my Byrd Hawkbill is pretty durn good, too. In fact, until they release a serrated Siren, I may have to pick up a serrated Cara Cara Rescue in the interim.
Red

Post by Red »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:52 pm
Red wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:21 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
G10 Rex45 Manix 2!
Ohhh, very nice!
Another vote for this one - man that was a great deal! But really, almost any Manix 2 is a great value. The CE or PE satin g10 manix 2s are only $122! And that for g10 scales, full liners, an awesome lock, excellent ergos, and s30v on a medium/large platform. All kinds of bang for your buck, and the fact that Manix 2 exclusives/sprints are typically only like $5-25 more is icing on the cake.
😬

I missed out on that one, But the burple Manix 2 in 110v is one of my all time edc favorites.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I need to buy a resilience. Just because... I had a tenacious... Wasnt a huge fan of it but it was my first spyderco. Never held a resilience.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Red

Post by Red »

Its an awesome knife for the $, love it. One of my all time favorites.
Red

Post by Red »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:11 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Point well taken. I guess I bent the rules a bit because they are under the purview of Sal Glessar. Cousins if you will. The OP alluded to an affinity for the Resilience and bang for the buck and since the Byrds are made from 8CRMOV13 as is the Resilience I may have overstepped. Spyderco does 8CR13MOV very well. In my experience the 8CR13MOV in my Byrd Hawkbill is pretty durn good, too. In fact, until they release a serrated Siren, I may have to pick up a serrated Cara Cara Rescue in the interim.
I agree. Big fan of 8CR13MOV, especially on a budget. Sharpens easily and as long as you show it some love after a long day, no worries.
👍
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would say the Caribbean. It is quite cheap($180), relative to how much knife you get and how capable/durable it is.
I carried mine for almost two years straight and my biggest takeaway was how insanely tough of a steel it has. I did some stupid things in the name of "work" and it just shrugged it off.

It also has amazing sharpening response. I just sharpened mine up for a few seconds and it melts anything it touches. Some say it doesn't have the best edge retention, but I would rate it the same as VG-10. Good enough for me.

Also also, it has the best grip pattern I've ever used. Smooth and grippy at the same time.
"Grip without the rip"

I could go on, but no one wants that... :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson