Got a favorite ax? Post ‘em up!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: Got a favorite ax? Post ‘em up!

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 am
OH for Sure!! Everyone who uses an ax or maul or any other striking tool for that matter can benefit from Bernie Weisgerber's "An Ax To Grind" put out by the U.S. Forest Service. I was lucky enough to get the original book and video both and I still look at both of them occasionally. Mr. Weisgerber joined the Spyderco Forum a few years back but only posted just a few times and hasn't been back since. I would really like for him to return.

In the past 3 years I've bought some really nice replacement handles for two axes and one maul I use a lot. They were made by the O.P. Link company and I believe they are out of Tennessee. There are other companies here in the USA that make great hickory handles. It's actually interesting and fun to play with these older axes and other tools.
Hey JD, is this the video that came with your book? I found it on Youtube.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Another good source for handles is House Handle. They and the Links will take extensive shaping unless you like your handles big boned. I like them a little more slender, a narrow oval in cross section. Hoffman Blacksmithing makes really awesome handles, but they’re more costly than a new complete hardware store ax.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:25 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 am
OH for Sure!! Everyone who uses an ax or maul or any other striking tool for that matter can benefit from Bernie Weisgerber's "An Ax To Grind" put out by the U.S. Forest Service. I was lucky enough to get the original book and video both and I still look at both of them occasionally. Mr. Weisgerber joined the Spyderco Forum a few years back but only posted just a few times and hasn't been back since. I would really like for him to return.

In the past 3 years I've bought some really nice replacement handles for two axes and one maul I use a lot. They were made by the O.P. Link company and I believe they are out of Tennessee. There are other companies here in the USA that make great hickory handles. It's actually interesting and fun to play with these older axes and other tools.
Hey JD, is this the video that came with your book? I found it on Youtube.
Yep!! that's the one. However if you know of any newer videos that are better than that one I would sure like to look at it. But Bernie really did a great job on that "An Ax To Grind" video put out by the U.S. Forest Service.

Hey I've just discovered something kind of interesting in the past two days. I've been surfing the web looking at sites that sell replacement ax and tool handles ( Mostly Hickory). And most all of them are out of the state of Tennessee. And what I find weird about that is that Tennessee sure doesn't have the market cornered on hickory wood. We've got tons of it here in Missouri for instance and I know of several midwest states that also have a lot of hickory too. I did find that a bit strange that most of those types of companies are in the state of Tennessee :confused: .
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm
Yep!! that's the one. However if you know of any newer videos that are better than that one I would sure like to look at it. But Bernie really did a great job on that "An Ax To Grind" video put out by the U.S. Forest Service.

Hey I've just discovered something kind of interesting in the past two days. I've been surfing the web looking at sites that sell replacement ax and tool handles ( Mostly Hickory). And most all of them are out of the state of Tennessee. And what I find weird about that is that Tennessee sure doesn't have the market cornered on hickory wood. We've got tons of it here in Missouri for instance and I know of several midwest states that also have a lot of hickory too. I did find that a bit strange that most of those types of companies are in the state of Tennessee :confused: .
Hey JD, maybe you need a side business to keep you busy? :rolleyes:

I really thing that video must be the definitive guide to axe care and maintenance. I've been looking around YouTube a lot lately, and it's by far the most comprehensive and most well done. Thanks for the tip!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:29 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Hey JD, maybe you need a side business to keep you busy? :rolleyes:

I really thing that video must be the definitive guide to axe care and maintenance. I've been looking around YouTube a lot lately, and it's by far the most comprehensive and most well done. Thanks for the tip!
Dude??? A side Business??? Are you serious :D I'm about as busy as a beaver trying to clog up the Missouri River as we speak. :eek:

Again I wish Bernie Weisgerber would come back to the Spyderco forum. Heck we could even add a section for axes and other striking tools. They have a sub-forum like that over at Bladeforums.
Also that book that is still available on pdf with the same title is a great reference book for anything related to axes, hatchets and hawks. I think the U.S. Forest Service quit giving out hard copies back around 2012 or thereabout.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:24 am
Dude??? A side Business??? Are you serious :D I'm about as busy as a beaver trying to clog up the Missouri River as we speak. :eek:

Again I wish Bernie Weisgerber would come back to the Spyderco forum. Heck we could even add a section for axes and other striking tools. They have a sub-forum like that over at Bladeforums.

Also that book that is still available on pdf with the same title is a great reference book for anything related to axes, hatchets and hawks. I think the U.S. Forest Service quit giving out hard copies back around 2012 or thereabout.
Was Bernie a member here? That's really cool! I'll have to check out that sub-forum on Bladeforums.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:24 am

Was Bernie a member here? That's really cool! I'll have to check out that sub-forum on Bladeforums.
Yeah he was for sure. And he used his name i.e. Bernie Weisgerber as his forum name too. I think it was about 7 to 8 years ago. He chimed in on a thread about axes and he corrected me on the brand of ax he was using. It was an honest mistake but I talked to him by way of PM and he seemed to be an all right guy. I sure hope he comes back at some point.

I'm here to to tell you that guy is an encyclopedia of ax knowledge. He actually built log cabins in National Parks using different axes to do it with when he worked for the U.S. Forest service. He knew axes going back over 200 years or so. You never know when someone is coming back to the forum and I hope he does.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:14 pm
Yeah he was for sure. And he used his name i.e. Bernie Weisgerber as his forum name too. I think it was about 7 to 8 years ago. He chimed in on a thread about axes and he corrected me on the brand of ax he was using. It was an honest mistake but I talked to him by way of PM and he seemed to be an all right guy. I sure hope he comes back at some point.

I'm here to to tell you that guy is an encyclopedia of ax knowledge. He actually built log cabins in National Parks using different axes to do it with when he worked for the U.S. Forest service. He knew axes going back over 200 years or so. You never know when someone is coming back to the forum and I hope he does.
Man, that's awesome; talk about a dream job! I hope for his return as well.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Here's the Kisa in action this weekend.

Managed to hit a rock and take out a good chunk so I ordered the Hultafors sharpener to go along with. Wish me luck...

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:34 pm
Here's the Kisa in action this weekend.

Managed to hit a rock and take out a good chunk so I ordered the Hultafors sharpener to go along with. Wish me luck...
Hey that's a nice looking ax. I take it by the name that it must be a Swedish ax? Or is that a unit that Grandfors Bruks makes?

Again I've been told that the one Splitting Maul that Grandfors Bruks makes is a really great tool. However I really want to check out the two mauls that MacLaren put up. Those look like excellent wood splitting tools.

I had an engineer tell me a few years back that the Swedes make great steel. He said he worked over there for a couple of years and he really liked their tools. That one company Sandvik is a Swedish steel company. I've often wondered if Sandvik might make axes themselves?

Those Swedish axes have a persona of their own for sure :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm
Hey that's a nice looking ax. I take it by the name that it must be a Swedish ax? Or is that a unit that Grandfors Bruks makes?

Again I've been told that the one Splitting Maul that Grandfors Bruks makes is a really great tool. However I really want to check out the two mauls that MacLaren put up. Those look like excellent wood splitting tools.

I had an engineer tell me a few years back that the Swedes make great steel. He said he worked over there for a couple of years and he really liked their tools. That one company Sandvik is a Swedish steel company. I've often wondered if Sandvik might make axes themselves?

Swedish it is, made by Hults Bruk (which seems to be the traditional axe line produced by Hultafors).

Seems to be great so far. I've never had a new sharp axe before, and this one certainly made short work of turning a few fresh logs into firewood for the weekend in Tahoe. I'll post a photo of my only other axe soon, a boxing hatchet that I recovered in the woods and restored with my dad when I was a teenager.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:05 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm

Swedish it is, made by Hults Bruk (which seems to be the traditional axe line produced by Hultafors).

Seems to be great so far. I've never had a new sharp axe before, and this one certainly made short work of turning a few fresh logs into firewood for the weekend in Tahoe. I'll post a photo of my only other axe soon, a boxing hatchet that I recovered in the woods and restored with my dad when I was a teenager.
That's interesting "kenneth". I've wondered if there were other ax companies over in Sweden. I would like to know where both companies ( them and Grandfors Bruks") get their steel at for their ax heads? I'm willing to bet that Sandvik is probably thee big steel producer for knives and edged weapons over there in Sweden. And that's certainly not a bad thing at all>> actually it's probably a really good source.

I'm going to do a search on that company. Hey I'm interested to know what vendor you got that new Swedish ax from? None of our hardware chains here in Kansas City have any Swedish axes that I know of. I also wonder what wood that the Swedes use for their ax handles? Because I doubt that hickory is available over there.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Gransfors Bruk small forest axe. Light enough I can take it packing with me everywhere and capable enough around the camp that it comes with me all the time. Just put a new handle in her last fall and it still looks brand new.
Gransfors and Spyderco.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:34 pm
That's interesting "kenneth". I've wondered if there were other ax companies over in Sweden. I would like to know where both companies ( them and Grandfors Bruks") get their steel at for their ax heads? I'm willing to bet that Sandvik is probably thee big steel producer for knives and edged weapons over there in Sweden. And that's certainly not a bad thing at all>> actually it's probably a really good source.

I'm going to do a search on that company. Hey I'm interested to know what vendor you got that new Swedish ax from? None of our hardware chains here in Kansas City have any Swedish axes that I know of. I also wonder what wood that the Swedes use for their ax handles? Because I doubt that hickory is available over there.
Oddly enough, they use American Hickory handles. I guess it just doesn't get much better!

I bought mine with my REI Dividend this year. They give members 10% back each year, so I didn't pay much on top.

I was curious, so I had a look into Hults Bruk's history. They claim to have made their axe heads by hand since 1697, in their own foundry. I'm not sure what their steel looks like before they melt it down, or where that comes from. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something a bit more traditional than Sandvik, though, as Sandvik was founded in 1862, and it seems that they mostly focus on stainless steels.

Swden does make some great steel, and I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the Uddeholm, of Bohler-Uddeholm, was founded in Sweden in 1668 if you can believe that. They produce a wide range of steels, including Vanadis and Vanax Superclean which get mentioned here on the forums by a couple of steel junkies.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:47 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Oddly enough, they use American Hickory handles. I guess it just doesn't get much better!

I bought mine with my REI Dividend this year. They give members 10% back each year, so I didn't pay much on top.

I was curious, so I had a look into Hults Bruk's history. They claim to have made their axe heads by hand since 1697, in their own foundry. I'm not sure what their steel looks like before they melt it down, or where that comes from. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something a bit more traditional than Sandvik, though, as Sandvik was founded in 1862, and it seems that they mostly focus on stainless steels.

Swden does make some great steel, and I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the Uddeholm, of Bohler-Uddeholm, was founded in Sweden in 1668 if you can believe that. They produce a wide range of steels, including Vanadis and Vanax Superclean which get mentioned here on the forums by a couple of steel junkies.
With that said and if hickory is by far a great ax handle material that they prefer to use then you just know that the price of a Swedish made ax is not going to be cheap. But if it's quality made I guess I can live with that.

That's interesting about Bohler-Uddeholm>> because I sure love my M390 Military model. I'm sure they would make excellent tool steels for axes.

The hickory selection is really an item of interest. I would guess that hickory might be far more shock resistant than about any other wood. There are so many woods from Africa like Bubinga for instance that would make a great ax handle it just really makes me wonder why they decided on hickory? I would think it would be cheaper to ship stuff from Africa or even Russia for that matter.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 am
The hickory selection is really an item of interest. I would guess that hickory might be far more shock resistant than about any other wood. There are so many woods from Africa like Bubinga for instance that would make a great ax handle it just really makes me wonder why they decided on hickory? I would think it would be cheaper to ship stuff from Africa or even Russia for that matter.
I'm sure not the expert but I do know that sometimes companies choose to just "give the people what they want," and Swedish Steel and American Hickory sure do seem to sell like hotcakes.

Guitar manufacturers have struggled with this recently, having to replace Brazilian Rosewood first with Indian Rosewood, and now with other exotic hardwoods. It was a long fight to convince consumers that they could still build good guitars with these newer tone woods.

I would bet that since American Hickory is not in short supply, it's easier to just keep shipping it over than it is to try to convince consumers that Bubinga is just as good. We see a similar thing happen with Spyderco I think, now that we're shipping American steels to Japan and China. Is BD1 really that much better than 8cr? Probably not, but American steel sure does sell well.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Some very true statements "Kenneth" and hickory may have better shock resistance that most other woods on the planet. The more I think about it your exotic woods like Bubinga and a few others are really high priced. It's probably cheaper to import the hickory handles. The last time I checked there were about 4 of those handle manufacturers and I believe 3 of them are in Tennessee. I'm sure that Tennessee and Kentucky both have more hickory than they need.

Because as quality minded as Grandfors Bruks is they probably do insist on the best of all the components needed to make a great ax or any other striking tool for that matter.

I've often wondered if Osage Orange would make a good tool handle? The primitive archery crowd sure likes it for making their own archery equipment ( bows especially).
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

There are a handful of makers on Instagram who have used Osage orange for ax handles and wedges. They look amazing, and I’m sure they perform.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:30 pm
There are a handful of makers on Instagram who have used Osage orange for ax handles and wedges. They look amazing, and I’m sure they perform.
Wow!!! I find that very interesting. I bet that Osage Orange wood is truly **** to work with. I've cut down several Osage Orange trees here in Missouri over the years. There are few types of wood that are meaner to chain saws than Osage Orange.
Every time I've cut any of that wood I always brace myself knowing I've got a lot of chain sharpening to do :o .

Never ever burn that wood in a fireplace :eek: It pops embers all over the room and it is a major fire hazard. And only burn it in really well made wood burning stoves because that stuff really burns super hot. It could destroy a cheaper made stove very easily.

Here in Missouri we call Osage Orange wood "hedge". Why it got that name I'm not certain. But there are many "Hedge Posts" used by farmers that have been in the ground for 50 years and longer.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Osage orange aka “hedge apple” was planted as hedge rows. It’s effective!