YOJUMBO has been released!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lumpy620

Re: YOJUMBO has been released!

Post by Lumpy620 »

:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Baldspot wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:22 am
Mine just came in today - outstanding fit, finish and materials. I really like it however it did NOT come shaving sharp out of the box. I was a little surprised and disappointed about that. However, some strop time took care of that.
Mine also was “dull” by spyderco standards when it arrived, it just wasn’t as sharp as I’m used to spydies being when they arrive new. That being said..............

This is undoubtedly the king of the Wharnies. It’s HUGE, and I mean to the point that I laughed out loud when I opened it HUGE. Fit and finish is AMAZING. Spyderco continues to kill it with their Golden, CO offerings. This was a total impulse buy and I’m glad I did. It makes other large folders I have feel dainty
vivi

Post by vivi »

These look nice, I'm really glad to see Spyderco do an XL version of an existing model!
:unicorn
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

Gah! Still out of stock where I’ve had my preorder in for months. I think I’ve learned a lesson about preorders on new models. Just hang on to your cash and see where they start dropping first. I’ll just be patient for now, but I’m itching to check this thing out. Y’all are killing me... ;)
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 am
These look nice, I'm really glad to see Spyderco do an XL version of an existing model!
My thoughts exactly, I think you might like this one welcome back.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mr Janich briefly presenting the Yojumbo, maybe interesting for some:

https://youtu.be/kIF6swVod0E
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I got my Yojumbo yesterday. Fit and finish is perfect and it is super sharp. My only issue or complaint is the part of the blade that blocks part of the compression lock. I can't see any reason for it to be there. Maybe I am not seeing something? When I get around to taking it apart I will probably grind off most of what is in the way.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
yojumbo1.jpg
yojumbo2.jpg
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That appears to be the YoJumbo's version of the Shaman Nub, a very polarizing knife design element. It's essentially there to push your finger off the lock tab to make sure there's no chance of the blade hitting your finger.

I don't mind it on the Shaman and I probably wouldn't mind it here, but it IS intentional.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

hereiamu1 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:44 pm
I will probably grind off most of what is in the way.

Any thoughts?
Do it! Grind it! Sand it!

Bench grinder, or even a Dremel will make quick job of it. Just keep the blade cool.

But as with any modification, think twice, grind once, you can't put material back.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Actually, the portion of the blade your referring to isn't there to "push your finger off the lock tab." It's there to make the transition from the front of the handle to the heel of the edge as snag-free as possible.

When I cut, I try to use the full length of the cutting edge and apply constant, increasing pressure as I approach the tip. Just as many people don't like sharpening choils because they snag during utilitarian cutting chores, an unsharpened choil (for lack of a better word) at the heel of the YoJumbo's edge could be a major snag point. For a folder designed with personal defense in mind, that can be a serious disadvantage. I determined this through actual cutting tests on denim-covered "Pork Man" targets during the design process, so it was not an arbitrary decision.

On the Shaman, the portion of the blade that nests in the lock well is actually the forward section of the index-finger choil, which acts as a guard. That needs to be there to keep your finger from potentially sliding forward onto the heel of the edge. In operation, the Shaman's guard is more likely to strike the index finger when closing the knife than the nub of the YoJumbo's ricasso. However, with a little practice, clearing your finger from the lock well before the blade strikes is easy--especially since both knives have long blades that close more slowly than shorter ones. For folks who are concerned with the "fidget factor" of their knives, this should be no problem, since fidgeting is, by nature, repetitive practice.

I hope this helps folks understand my priorities during the design of the YoJumbo. As always, if you have any questions and would like straight answers from the source, I'm happy to help.

Stay safe,

Mike
Red

Post by Red »

Have a YoJumbo on the way!!!!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just ordered one, I love the Yojimbo series so I have to check this one out.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:16 am
Mr Janich briefly presenting the Yojumbo, maybe interesting for some:

https://youtu.be/kIF6swVod0E
More videos worth watching:

https://youtu.be/1ddOdON ... ex=18&t=0s

https://youtu.be/KmQAajb ... =18&t=907s
Red

Post by Red »

Mine came in a few days ago, its freakin Awesome!!! Lighter than I thought so its easy to carry and it just feels perfect in the hand. Oozes quality.
D629933E-5295-43CD-89CD-2BC794597B56.jpeg
So glad I got one 👍
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:54 am
Actually, the portion of the blade your referring to isn't there to "push your finger off the lock tab." It's there to make the transition from the front of the handle to the heel of the edge as snag-free as possible.

When I cut, I try to use the full length of the cutting edge and apply constant, increasing pressure as I approach the tip. Just as many people don't like sharpening choils because they snag during utilitarian cutting chores, an unsharpened choil (for lack of a better word) at the heel of the YoJumbo's edge could be a major snag point. For a folder designed with personal defense in mind, that can be a serious disadvantage. I determined this through actual cutting tests on denim-covered "Pork Man" targets during the design process, so it was not an arbitrary decision.

On the Shaman, the portion of the blade that nests in the lock well is actually the forward section of the index-finger choil, which acts as a guard. That needs to be there to keep your finger from potentially sliding forward onto the heel of the edge. In operation, the Shaman's guard is more likely to strike the index finger when closing the knife than the nub of the YoJumbo's ricasso. However, with a little practice, clearing your finger from the lock well before the blade strikes is easy--especially since both knives have long blades that close more slowly than shorter ones. For folks who are concerned with the "fidget factor" of their knives, this should be no problem, since fidgeting is, by nature, repetitive practice.

I hope this helps folks understand my priorities during the design of the YoJumbo. As always, if you have any questions and would like straight answers from the source, I'm happy to help.

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike thanks for the reply, sorry it took so long for me to reply.

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I wonder if the high point is flattened a little, maybe even bevel the edges a little it will be just as snag-free? Something I might get around to trying.

Also any chance there could be a "YoMiniBo"? :D Blade about 2-2 1/2 inch long, DLC, and purple G-10

Thanks again
KiandlC

Post by KiandlC »

Mine has been languishing in my KnifeCenter cart for weeks. The suspense is killing me.
Red

Post by Red »

Got mine from knifeworks, smooth and easy