Endela or Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Endela or Manix 2

Poll ended at Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:37 pm

Endela
14
25%
Manix 2
24
43%
Manix 2 LW
13
23%
Manix 2 backlock
5
9%
 
Total votes: 56

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9686
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:37 pm

Which do you prefer and why?

I’ve never held an Endela with its CQI modified handle, but I love the M2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:03 am

Doc, that´s a REALLY tough question... and funny, I thought just the other day that in my rather small current collection my Endela is the closest "competitor" to my Manix 2 LW..

They are also very close in most specs (see also pic below [Keep in mind: MY Endelas blade is a tad shortened since I had to repair the tip once!])

Closed length: Endela 4.69", Manix 4.66"
Blade: Endela 3.41", Manix 3.37
Cutting edge: Endela 2.99, Manix 2.88
Weight: Endela 3.1 oz, Manix 3.0

I love both my Endela and Manix 2 LW (and voted for those two), but if I was forced to choose I´d probably take the Endela..

- In that particular size category I value each mm more edge length I can get (and the Endela offers 3mm more)
- I love both backlock and CBBL, but still prefer the former
- Endela and Manix 2 LW have practically the same weight (in grams: 88 vs 85 - despite the Endela has a sturdy linered construction), but the Endela carries a lot slimmer in the pocket
- For me personally the ergos of these two models are though in different ways equally good (the Endela has basically the excact same handle as the Endura, just a tad wider due to the rounded off "points" of the finger grooves. The Endura just flares out a bit more at the handle end, which is not noticable in use)
Choking up on the Endela-Ricasso is equally fine for me as choking up on a dedicated choil
- The Endela comes in full (ffg) SE - a HUGE plus for me

What do I prefer on the Manix?
- The leaf shaped, wider blade
- The CTS BD1N steel... Still don´t know why, but in my use it is superior in edge holding over VG10

Image
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Sonorum
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Sonorum » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:26 am

The manix is fantastic but I prefer the neutral handle of the Endela since I tend to hold the knife in different ways.
/ David

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Pancake » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:00 am

I would say Manix, but I have not had Endela in my hands (but I have no problems if someone want to give me one :D ) .
The thing I like about the Manix is how tall the handle is. Folders are not going to feel as good in the hand as fixed blades, mainly because of handle thickness, but the tallness could compensate it to a some degree. That's why Caribbean is so high on my list.

And Manix backlock with liners and like Cru-Wear would be awesome.....don't really care for LW, because of the wire clip.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Waterway

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby ladybug93 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 am

the manix 2 lw has my vote. it’s the sturdiest of all lw models i’ve held, it’s very light for a knife it’s size, i love the blade size and shape, the handle is comfortable in multiple grips, the handle tapers toward the pocket opening so you can still access other items in your pocket, the cbbl is very strong, and the grip texturing is very functional.

as far as i’m concerned, there are only two ways to improve the manix 2 lw. one would be to make it a salt with lc200n. i’d even take a lw manix 2 salt in a backlock if that’s what it took to make it happen. the second, and actually more important to me, is to stop it with the pins and give us torx screws so we can disassemble and properly maintain our tools. i don’t know why anyone would ever want a non-stainless manix 2 lw. there’s a whole section of the blade than can’t be dealt with if it starts to develop rust. i even had a rust spot develop on my xhp manix 2 lw under the handle and was barely able to reach it through the cbbl slot by jamming a qtip in there. hopefully there aren’t any more rust spots that i can’t see under the handle. there’s literally no way for me to know or do anything about them if they are there. i HATE the pins.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:17 am

I'd probably choose the M2 Backlock. Second choice would be the Endela.

But, I really don't like the CBBL, at all

User avatar
rabbitanarchy14
Member
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 am
Location: Michigan, USA, Earth
Contact:

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby rabbitanarchy14 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:31 am

manix 2 g10, LOVE THE CBBL, and because the lw is blade heavy and i dont care for the cheap feeling plastic and i hate lockbacks and cheap feeling plastic, well honestly just about hate all back locks or mid locks.
192.168.0.1 - Para 3 S35VN, Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native S30V comp, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM 2 M390 DLC BL, PM 2 K390 RG, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - D'allara 3, Techno 2 w/G10

Burton Knut
Member
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:56 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN (LaFollette)

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Burton Knut » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:56 am

Manix 2: strong and secure...bring on the beef!

I voted Manix LW too, but I’d be willing to give the Endela a shot in this spot. I haven’t got around to adding one to my collection mainly because the Endura/Pacific Salt are handling anything the Endela would at this point.

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9686
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Doc Dan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 am

I have never seen an Endela, much less held one, and now the Rock Jumper is coming. But, as much as I love, I mean, love the Manix 2 LW and Backlock, I have put an Endela in my cart, taken it out, and put it back a dozen or more times. I think it would carry nice and slim and I love Spyderco's mid backlock. Sal seems to think he has fixed the issue with the finger bump thing hitting the finger in the wrong place and I'd love to test this out with my dainty little 2XL hands.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9686
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Doc Dan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:15 am

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:03 am
Doc, that´s a REALLY tough question... and funny, I thought just the other day that in my rather small current collection my Endela is the closest "competitor" to my Manix 2 LW..

They are also very close in most specs (see also pic below [Keep in mind: MY Endelas blade is a tad shortened since I had to repair the tip once!])

Closed length: Endela 4.69", Manix 4.66"
Blade: Endela 3.41", Manix 3.37
Cutting edge: Endela 2.99, Manix 2.88
Weight: Endela 3.1 oz, Manix 3.0

I love both my Endela and Manix 2 LW (and voted for those two), but if I was forced to choose I´d probably take the Endela..

- In that particular size category I value each mm more edge length I can get (and the Endela offers 3mm more)
- I love both backlock and CBBL, but still prefer the former
- Endela and Manix 2 LW have practically the same weight (in grams: 88 vs 85 - despite the Endela has a sturdy linered construction), but the Endela carries a lot slimmer in the pocket
- For me personally the ergos of these two models are though in different ways equally good (the Endela has basically the excact same handle as the Endura, just a tad wider due to the rounded off "points" of the finger grooves. The Endura just flares out a bit more at the handle end, which is not noticable in use)
Choking up on the Endela-Ricasso is equally fine for me as choking up on a dedicated choil
- The Endela comes in full (ffg) SE - a HUGE plus for me

What do I prefer on the Manix?
- The leaf shaped, wider blade
- The CTS BD1N steel... Still don´t know why, but in my use it is superior in edge holding over VG10

Image
I would love to get an Endela in hand.

As for the BD1N, it is a fine steel. I have no complaints so far. I do not know if it is actually better than VG-10. When I first started using it I thought the same thing. Now, with more experience, I am a bit more cautious and I will say it is at least as good as VG-10, which is pretty good in my book. However, the Endela has a FFG Serrated edge. I wonder how well that would hold up in BD1N. In the regular chisel ground serrated edge it does really well and I have given three knives a real workout to show it. It rolls, not chips, it seems. I have had zero issue working out some flat spots (cutting on a plate for a while). I do like it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4235
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby steelcity16 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 am

Last year after the Cruwear Delica came out I carried that pretty much exclusively up until the recent Teal Endura came out. Now I have been carrying one of my two Enduras almost exclusively. Sometime I feel like the Delica is too small, but the Endura can be a tad large for a lot of basic tasks. I haven't tried the Endela yet as I was hoping to see it in the K390 lineup, but since it isn't, I will be picking up the VG10 version very soon. I voted Endela since my Manixes have been mostly sitting in my drawer for the past year. My "grail" knives right now would be Cruwear Enduras, Endelas, and Dragonflies. :D
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:12 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 am
Last year after the Cruwear Delica came out I carried that pretty much exclusively up until the recent Teal Endura came out. Now I have been carrying one of my two Enduras almost exclusively. Sometime I feel like the Delica is too small, but the Endura can be a tad large for a lot of basic tasks. I haven't tried the Endela yet as I was hoping to see it in the K390 lineup, but since it isn't, I will be picking up the VG10 version very soon. I voted Endela since my Manixes have been mostly sitting in my drawer for the past year. My "grail" knives right now would be Cruwear Enduras, Endelas, and Dragonflies. :D

In SE? :D
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:15 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:03 am
I would love to get an Endela in hand.

As for the BD1N, it is a fine steel. I have no complaints so far. I do not know if it is actually better than VG-10. When I first started using it I thought the same thing. Now, with more experience, I am a bit more cautious and I will say it is at least as good as VG-10, which is pretty good in my book. However, the Endela has a FFG Serrated edge. I wonder how well that would hold up in BD1N. In the regular chisel ground serrated edge it does really well and I have given three knives a real workout to show it. It rolls, not chips, it seems. I have had zero issue working out some flat spots (cutting on a plate for a while). I do like it.

- Doc, one question: What do you mean by "regular chisel ground serrated edge"? The Endela DOES come in this exact configuration, so a fictional BD1N Endela SE (or Manix 2 LW SE) should do very well?
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 am
I have never seen an Endela, much less held one, and now the Rock Jumper is coming. But, as much as I love, I mean, love the Manix 2 LW and Backlock, I have put an Endela in my cart, taken it out, and put it back a dozen or more times. I think it would carry nice and slim and I love Spyderco's mid backlock. Sal seems to think he has fixed the issue with the finger bump thing hitting the finger in the wrong place and I'd love to test this out with my dainty little 2XL hands.

IF you have issues with the Endura handle (= the finger bumps are in the wrong places for you), I am not 100% positive you´ll find the Endela handle to be a vast improvement.

I can´t really estimate that, since I personally love both the Endura and Endela ergos

But: The Endela handle is shaped exactly like the Enduras, with three exeptions:
1.) The Endela handle is a bit shortened at the very the rear end (so it misses a part of the Endura handle that I personally hardly ever use anyway)
2.) The parts between the ""points" of the fingerguards are a bit wider, which leads to:
3.) The "points" between the fingerguards are less "pointyr"

BUT: They are still there and at the exact same place as in the Endura handle...

You really have to try for yourself! :D
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:31 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 am
I have never seen an Endela, much less held one, and now the Rock Jumper is coming. But, as much as I love, I mean, love the Manix 2 LW and Backlock, I have put an Endela in my cart, taken it out, and put it back a dozen or more times. I think it would carry nice and slim and I love Spyderco's mid backlock. Sal seems to think he has fixed the issue with the finger bump thing hitting the finger in the wrong place and I'd love to test this out with my dainty little 2XL hands.
I would love to see what he comes up with. But, as of now, the Endela has the exact same issue the Endura has, regarding the grip shape.

The Rockjumper's handle is the solution in my book. Can't wait for it, I'll be buying it day one.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4235
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby steelcity16 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:48 am

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:12 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 am
Last year after the Cruwear Delica came out I carried that pretty much exclusively up until the recent Teal Endura came out. Now I have been carrying one of my two Enduras almost exclusively. Sometime I feel like the Delica is too small, but the Endura can be a tad large for a lot of basic tasks. I haven't tried the Endela yet as I was hoping to see it in the K390 lineup, but since it isn't, I will be picking up the VG10 version very soon. I voted Endela since my Manixes have been mostly sitting in my drawer for the past year. My "grail" knives right now would be Cruwear Enduras, Endelas, and Dragonflies. :D

In SE? :D

Hopefully both! :D
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

Bill1170
Member
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: San Diego North County

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Bill1170 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:54 am

I love my Manix 2 LW in S110V. To answer this pressing question of our times (nothing else going on, right?) I just ordered a SE Endela. FOR SCIENCE, LOL.

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2298
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Larry_Mott » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Endela every day of the week because no CBBL :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm
Endela every day of the week because no CBBL :)

I knew it... :p ;)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2298
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: Endela or Manix 2?

Postby Larry_Mott » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm
Endela every day of the week because no CBBL :)

I knew it... :p ;)
I know you knew ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Airlsee, benben, dj moonbat, eRoc, Fireman, FullFlatMind, Google [Bot], Holland, MFlovejp, root, The Meat man, Wartstein, yablanowitz and 72 guests