Spyderco coffee mug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Red

Re: Spyderco coffee mug

Post by Red »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:05 am
I'm in for a set of 16 oz Tervis Tumblers with the Spydie Logo Patch
Oh yea, that would be very cool.

👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 pm
We're working on two. The first one will be very much like the original 12 oz coffee mugs we made years ago. The second one is an oddball and I can't say anything about it.

Both will more than likely be consumer direct to keep the cost down. Then we'll go from there.

sal

Thank you sal!

If anyone has a pic of the original 12 oz Spyderco mug, please post it here.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 pm
We're working on two. The first one will be very much like the original 12 oz coffee mugs we made years ago. The second one is an oddball and I can't say anything about it.

Both will more than likely be consumer direct to keep the cost down. Then we'll go from there.

sal
I'm hoping #2 is a 20oz mug with a Para 3 blade sticking out of it à la the Ben Shot Lil' Native tumblers.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:49 am
go big or go home!

Deneen Pottery. These two are the camper size - 14oz.

I'll second this and hope that Spyderco seriously considers having Deneen Pottery in St. Paul, Minnesota, produce these mugs. Made in the USA, by hand, ability to achieve incredible detail, and their quailty is top notch (hmmm, sounds a bit like Spyderco itself...).

See for yourself: https://deneenpottery.com/

Here's a 1 min 45 sec video of making a Deneen mug: https://deneenpottery.com/making-of-a-d ... ttery-mug/

I first stumbled across Deneen Pottery in that late 1990s at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival in Shakopee, MN. They had a booth set up (as they have done for decades) and was was amazed by the quality of the stonewares, the colors on their glazes, and the detail of the custom raised logos they were able to put on their wares. I've seen plenty of coffee mugs in my day, but none that hold a candle to Deneen's. Once you hold one in your hand you will know what I'm talking about. They have an amazing company story, starting (and remaining) as a small family operation, overcoming their share of "bumps in the road", and going on to achieve the success and reputation they are known for today.

As I write this I'm picturing their "Lumberjack" model (14oz) in combination black with red glaze and the Spyderco logo on the side. Sign me up for a couple of these. I would buy them in a hearbeat regardless of the retail price.
Last edited by The CoPilot on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

Those are nice looking mugs.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the link. We'll check it out.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Y'all could make a mug with a hole in the bottom of it and I would still buy it lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:16 am
Y'all could make a mug with a hole in the bottom of it and I would still buy it lol
"Thingamamugs".

For all(most) of your non-liquid holding needs!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ haha, likewise! ;)

Please consider as large a handle as possible too.. it's always nice to be able to get a full fisted grip on a mug.. I think that's much more comfortable that a 2 or 3 finger grip anyways..

But yeah, regardless, I will buy one!
:)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Another big vote for A Deneen Pottery collab, They’re mugs are amazing. They’ve done em for Emerson and Hinderer knives And many other smaller companies. No idea why they wouldn’t work with spyderco, This would be awesome! Their quality and design is out of this world
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

spyderHS08 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:25 pm
Another big vote for A Deneen Pottery collab, They’re mugs are amazing. They’ve done em for Emerson and Hinderer knives And many other smaller companies. No idea why they wouldn’t work with spyderco, This would be awesome! Their quality and design is out of this world
Hadn’t heard of this company before, but I appreciate a good mug plus would love something with the Spyderco logo on it. Count me in.
sal

Post by sal »

My assistant is looking into them.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

If they make a 20oz mug I like it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Just got this Crate & Barrel Bennett Mug 10 oz. Light, and the handle, being flat, is the most comfortable for carry / use.

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:10 pm
My assistant is looking into them.

sal
I’m happy to see y’all coming around on the fancy mugs! :p
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 pm
Just got this Crate & Barrel Bennett Mug 10 oz. Light, and the handle, being flat, is the most comfortable for carry / use.
Yeah... flat handles. I've had teeny round handles so the mug wants to rotate unless you put a death grip onto it. A big slab-sided handle keeps the mug from tipping over if you're not paying attention.

Y'know, with all of us putting our heads together, we're really coming up with some great mug ideas. What do you think about Bi-Directional Texturing on the handle? Maybe it's time for Spyderco to phase out these old knives, and get into the expanding kitchenware business.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydercos, Sailboats and a nice cup of tea!
(Usually before I start fiddling around...)

I will always love my Otagiri mugs. It doesn't fit in a cup holder, but I don't drink tea in the car. :p

Also, kids can drink hot chocolate out of them, on the couch, while watching a movie and not spill it everywhere.

:D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

This is the stainless steel printed 12oz from Photomugs dot com they do a range of ceramic as well.

JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I want a black Thermoflask with red Spyderco logo.
Red

Post by Red »

A Spyderco coffee cup/mug would be very cool. Part of the morning routine is a cup of coffee while I browse the forum.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.