Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK - DAMASTEEL PATTERN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK - DAMASTEEL PATTERN

Post by Sumdumguy »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:07 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:27 am
Superfool wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:41 pm
So here is my pre-poll roundup so far.

By my maths, Vinland, Hakapella and Hugin are the three frontrunners.

dAMA POLL.png

The final handle poll is up, IVORY G10 or shredded CF.
3 days.

Can we sort out the rest of the blade discussion, so we all agree and I can get his poll up tonight please?

Kind regards, David
I think your chart is a bit flawed. I saw Ægir as first or second on several posts(including my own(and yours)

I'm still out, as I'm not interested in the handle choice. But, I don't want to see poorly compiled data, regardless.
While you are correct in that you put it as first, you put nothing in as second or third. Also you made it clear you were not buying the knife. I didn't include your choice for both of those reasons.

I did not put Aegir as my first choice but my second, so apart from you, only one person did. Hence there is only one vote for it as first.

I will, however, recheck the data prior to creating the poll, as I too dislike poor data compilation, and I would not want anyone suggesting I had tried to unfairly influence this project.
Hence, why I said, "first or second".

And also, SG88, Deacon and Filoso listed Aegir...

Regardless if I am buying it, you don't get to pick and choose what data you include. Either do it right or not at all.

I will also, go back and choose a second and third. I've just been preoccupied lately.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:44 am
Superfool wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Superfool wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:41 pm
So here is my pre-poll roundup so far.

By my maths, Vinland, Hakapella and Hugin are the three frontrunners.

dAMA POLL.png

The final handle poll is up, IVORY G10 or shredded CF.
3 days.

Can we sort out the rest of the blade discussion, so we all agree and I can get his poll up tonight please?

Kind regards, David
I think your chart is a bit flawed. I saw Ægir as first or second on several posts(including my own(and yours)

I'm still out, as I'm not interested in the handle choice. But, I don't want to see poorly compiled data, regardless.
While you are correct in that you put it as first, you put nothing in as second or third. Also you made it clear you were not buying the knife. I didn't include your choice for both of those reasons.

I did not put Aegir as my first choice but my second, so apart from you, only one person did. Hence there is only one vote for it as first.

I will, however, recheck the data prior to creating the poll, as I too dislike poor data compilation, and I would not want anyone suggesting I had tried to unfairly influence this project.

Regardless if I am buying it, you don't get to pick and choose what data you include. Either do it right or not at all.

I will also, go back and choose a second and third. I've just been preoccupied lately.
This was your response to the poll.
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 am
1. Ægir
2. ?
3. ?

I'll have to think about 2. and 3.
This is what I counted.

I havent got time to sieve through your posts to check up if you have got round to doing it yet. I haven't been doing it for anyone else, although before creating the poll I probably will.

The others mentioned them as their seconds. Hence that should be how they are listed.

If I missed one off somewhere, then its probably because I am really busy dealing with other aspects of my life.

And finally, regarding this comment:

"Regardless if I am buying it, you don't get to pick and choose what data you include. Either do it right or not at all.

I feel this is getting toward the territory of rude. Maybe you have stuff going on, maybe it's not my place to judge if you do or don't, but I am working quite hard on this.

This project is my idea, and I am doing the work to get this moving. Whether you are buying this knife or not absolutely affects this project. Why would I include someones opinion who isnt going to buy it? I dont really see why you are interested, but I am happy to listen.

If it is really that important, then I will add your opinion if you can please go and edit your original post.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:17 am
If we're counting dislikes too, put in a hate point for me on Vinland. It looks way too much like the damascus used in the Endura and Delica.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 am
The Meat man wrote:
If we're counting dislikes too, put in a hate point for me on Vinland. It looks way too much like the damascus used in the Endura and Delica.
Noted, but can you please just edit your original post into the format I requested.

This makes it easier for me to collate the data.

Many thanks, David
David

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:23 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Superfool wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Sumdumguy wrote:
1. Ægir
2. ?
3. ?

This is what I counted.

I havent got time to sieve through your posts to check up if you have got round to doing it yet. I haven't been doing it for anyone else, although before creating the poll I probably will.

The others mentioned them as their seconds. Hence that should be how they are listed.

If I missed one off somewhere, then its probably because I am really busy dealing with other aspects of my life.

"Regardless if I am buying it, you don't get to pick and choose what data you include. Either do it right or not at all.

I feel this is getting toward the territory of rude. Maybe you have stuff going on, maybe it's not my place to judge if you do or don't, but I am working quite hard on this.

This project is my idea, and I am doing the work to get this moving. Whether you are buying this knife or not absolutely affects this project. Why would I include someones opinion who isnt going to buy it? I dont really see why you are interested, but I am happy to listen.

If it is really that important, then I will add your opinion if you can please go and edit your original post.
The fact that you want to call me rude after your initial response is funny.

"I didn't include your choice for both of those reasons.

I will, however, recheck the data prior to creating the poll, as I too dislike poor data compilation, and I would not want anyone suggesting I had tried to unfairly influence this project."

That's an impressive combination of dismissal, incorrect information AND contradiction... for less than a paragraph.
No matter who's idea this was(It's been requested for YEARS), or who's buying it, I want to see it done properly and I will say something if I see an issue.

At this moment, I am not buying one. However, there are a lot of knives I have bought after seeing them in person. So, I am always a potential buyer.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:45 am
Superfool wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:23 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Superfool wrote:

Sumdumguy wrote:
1. Ægir
2. ?
3. ?

This is what I counted.

The fact that you want to call me rude after your initial response is funny.

"I didn't include your choice for both of those reasons.

I will, however, recheck the data prior to creating the poll, as I too dislike poor data compilation, and I would not want anyone suggesting I had tried to unfairly influence this project."

That's an impressive combination of dismissal, incorrect information AND contradiction... for less than a paragraph.
No matter who's idea this was(It's been requested for YEARS), or who's buying it, I want to see it done properly and I will say something if I see an issue.

At this moment, I am not buying one. However, there are a lot of knives I have bought after seeing them in person. So, I am always a potential buyer.
Ok. I am finished discussing this. I dont think this conversation is what the moderators of this board or Spyderco have in mind ad appropriate. I have tried to be civil, but it doesnt seem that you are reading it like that. I dont want to go down this route, so I wont be responding to this any further.

If you have a problem with this or anything that I have said to you, then I apologise. If this is insufficient, please contact the moderators.
David

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Regarding etch appearance - this is something that is pretty easy to change by the end line user. The dark areas of a damasteel etch will rub off with Flitz or other polish, leading to a much more muted contrast.

As for me, I prefer a tangible difference with a much deeper etch that I can feel with my fingertips, but I admit that's a project for when I get the knife in hand.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:10 am
Regarding etch appearance - this is something that is pretty easy to change by the end line user. The dark areas of a damasteel etch will rub off with Flitz or other polish, leading to a much more muted contrast.

As for me, I prefer a tangible difference with a much deeper etch that I can feel with my fingertips, but I admit that's a project for when I get the knife in hand.
I did not know that.

How far can you go with it? Is it possible to completely remove the etch with that polish? Or is it just the darkest bits?
David

Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

fixall wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 pm
I dig the Vinland the most out of those three choices..
Same
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Flizwit wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 am
fixall wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 pm
I dig the Vinland the most out of those three choices..
Same
Thir was my first, but I would probably go with Vinland out of these too.

I need to trawl through this thread and redo the poll, and then i will put in the top 3 as per the previous polls.
David

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:14 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:10 am

I did not know that.

How far can you go with it? Is it possible to completely remove the etch with that polish? Or is it just the darkest bits?
It depends on how long the etch is.

After grinding and polishing, both components of the damasteel are essentially "at the same level" on the surface of the blade. At this stage the blade looks identical to a non-damasteel blade.

Etching is a preferential oxidation of one steel VS the other. This initially presents as a color change on the surface. Removal and polishing at this time should result in a return to a shiny undifferentiated surface.

Extended time in the etchant solution will actually "eat away" the most affected steel, lowering it below the surface of the blade. Polishing now will remove the dark oxide, but the affected steel will still sit below the surface. The blade may be uniformly shiny but will have ridges.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 am
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 am
The Meat man wrote:
Noted, but can you please just edit your original post into the format I requested.

This makes it easier for me to collate the data.

Many thanks, David
Done.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 am

Done.
Thank you for that.
David

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
1. Ægir: Really like the wave pattern.

2. Gysinge: Slightly beat out Hakkapella for this spot
(it would look epic on a Kris)

3. Vinland: Looks like every other damascus pattern coming out of Seki. Doesn't wow me.
Fixed it.

-Thomas Jefferson
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:40 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
1. Ægir: Really like the wave pattern.

2. Gysinge: Slightly beat out Hakkapella for this spot
(it would look epic on a Kris)

3. Vinland: Looks like every other damascus pattern coming out of Seki. Doesn't wow me.
Fixed it.
Thank you for sorting this SDG.

Kind regards, David.
David

sal

Post by sal »

We're in communication with Per, (Owner of Damasteel) and he says the raw material for the DC material is 50% - *80% more expensive than their most popular DS93X. We're waiting on lead time info.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

What is DC material? :confused:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

It is a clad center core with patterned steel on either side.

In some cases this gives a uniform monosteel at the edge and can improve performance.

Because the DS93X is a powdered metal from the get go, there are not weld boundaries to produce flaws that could show up on an edge. Regular Damasteel is a good material. I have a pocket jewel with some of the early Damasteel in the blade and it has given excellent performance for a couple decades now.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

archangel wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 am
Don't know for sure but I assume he's referring to DC18N vs DS93X

https://damasteel.se/our-steel-alloys/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

archangel wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 am
The Vanax, basically.