POLL: What serrated model would you prefer: FFG Endura SE (liners, VG10) or FFG Pac Salt 2 SE (no liners, LC200N)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What would you prefer: FFG Endura SE (liners, VG10) or FFG Pac Salt 2 SE (no liners, LC200N)?

FFG Endura SE (WITH liners, VG 10)
15%
FFG Pac Salt 2 SE (NO liners, LC200N)
85%

Total votes: 66

cycleguy

Re: POLL: What would you prefer: FFG Endura SE (liners, VG10) or FFG Pac Salt 2 SE (no liners, LC200N)?

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:25 am
tonijedi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:18 am
cycleguy wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:58 am
Being the Delica nut I am, this is an easy one - Salt 2 all the way!!!

However, I am fine with SE in H1, and don't see a need for a FFG SE vs the current offering.

I would like to see a Salt 2 PE LC200N! It would be a must buy (prefer the yellow handle but black would be ok too).

CG
I would like to see PE and SE LC200N in the Salt 2. It's my dream knife.

And certainly in ffg, right?!
Hey Wartstein,

I'm going to go back on my earlier comment about the Salt 2 (I know it is not the Pacific Salt 2 which is the subject of your post, but I can't keep from commenting about it).

I'm not so concerned about the blade thickness like so many are, and as I implied earlier. However, I'm now believing a ffg serrated edge blade would take some weight off the front end of the knife and give a better weight distribution/balance given the linerless handle. This would be a win win scenario - a win for me regarding the weight/balance, and a win for those desiring ffg/ less blade thickness.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Re: POLL: What would you prefer: FFG Endura SE (liners, VG10) or FFG Pac Salt 2 SE (no liners, LC200N)?

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:09 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:25 am
tonijedi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:18 am
cycleguy wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:58 am
Hey Wartstein,

I'm going to go back on my earlier comment about the Salt 2 (I know it is not the Pacific Salt 2 which is the subject of your post, but I can't keep from commenting about it).

I'm not so concerned about the blade thickness like so many are, and as I implied earlier. However, I'm now believing a ffg serrated edge blade would take some weight off the front end of the knife and give a better weight distribution/balance given the linerless handle. This would be a win win scenario - a win for me regarding the weight/balance, and a win for those desiring ffg/ less blade thickness.

CG

:) I am totally ok with the balance of my Pac Salt, but you are right, it maybe could be even improved by an ffg (instead of sabre hollow ground) blade!

I am not literally concerned about blade thickness (actual blade stock is the same in the ffg Endura and the sabre hollow Pac Salt), but in the increased cutting performance in normal EDC tasks (not "heavy duty" tasks!) that SE ffg offers over sabre hollow ffg in my experience (and ffg generally does over sabre hollow imho).

Spydercos serrations in ffg are shallower and less aggressive then SE in their sabre hollow grind, and I prefer the shallower type for normal, more "urban" EDC

To be clear: I ABSOLUTELY want the Pac Salt and it´s serration pattern to remain as it is!! Great outdoor folder!

Just additionally an Endura sized ffg SE backlock (just give the ffg PE Endura the exact same serrations as the ffg Endela already offers) would be great
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: POLL: What serrated model would you prefer: FFG Endura SE (liners, VG10) or FFG Pac Salt 2 SE (no liners, LC200N)?

Post by Wartstein »

Since there has been some more interest for an ffg SE Endura lately, I may bump this poll... :rolleyes:

on page 1 (https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1397311) there is a comparison pic of Pac Salt SE, EndELa SE and Endura PE. What I´d like to see is an ffg Endura with the exact same serration pattern as the Endela SE features.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Re: POLL: What serrated model would you prefer: FFG Endura SE (liners, VG10) or FFG Pac Salt 2 SE (no liners, LC200N)?

Post by skeeg11 »

Isn't this where Surfgringo is supposed to chime in and say, "A FFG serrated version of the Siren for the win." I would think of it as an upscale option to the Pac salt 2 in a number of ways.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:55 am
Isn't this where Surfgringo is supposed to chime in and say, "A FFG serrated version of the Siren for the win." I would think of it as an upscale option to the Pac salt 2 in a number of ways.
Don't have a Siren (yet!) but you might very well be right.
The one thing though I still certainly prefer in a Pac Salt: FRN
Hope the Siren sells well enough to justify the costs for an FRN version of it... AND SE of course! :)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:57 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:55 am
Don't have a Siren (yet!) but you might very well be right.
The one thing though I still certainly prefer in a Pac Salt: FRN
Hope the Siren sells well enough to justify the costs for an FRN version of it... AND SE of course! :)
The textured gripiness of the Siren's G10 handle might be a little shocking to some at first, but I've grown to actually prefer it to the FRCP on my S110V Manix2 LW. And then there's that incomparable build quality of the Siren's back lock.............
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The only LC200N I want is
047018F9-13C0-4B08-9CA0-C998EC718B45.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I didn't even vote on this one. Because both steels have their high points and their low points. Both steels however from what I can ascertain seem to do well in SE. VG-10 even does pretty decent in PE which is kind of unusual for a blade steel to shine in both edge types.

It truly is like comparing apples to oranges because both steels are completely different animals. The Nitrogen based steels are good at what they are good at. I haven't yet seen a Nitrogen based steel be able to compete with S110V, M390 or 204P.

But on the other hand I haven't seen many conventional stainless steels have the corrosion resistance of some of the Nitrogen based steels. If I had my way I would own both knives. My case is closed on that one.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This is tough. Both steels are favorites of mine and I strongly prefer liners...

But, I'd have to choose the FFG LC200N Pac Salt. I really enjoy LC200N.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:16 am
I didn't even vote on this one. Because both steels have their high points and their low points. Both steels however from what I can ascertain seem to do well in SE. VG-10 even does pretty decent in PE which is kind of unusual for a blade steel to shine in both edge types.

It truly is like comparing apples to oranges because both steels are completely different animals. The Nitrogen based steels are good at what they are good at. I haven't yet seen a Nitrogen based steel be able to compete with S110V, M390 or 204P.

But on the other hand I haven't seen many conventional stainless steels have the corrosion resistance of some of the Nitrogen based steels. If I had my way I would own both knives. My case is closed on that one.

Thanks anyway for your reply! :)

Just to be clear:
I did not create this poll back then in order to find (or suggest) the absolut best possible version of a serrated ffg Endura 4 based knife.
I just took the two main existing versions:
Endura 4 ffg in VG10 and Pac Salt 2 in H1. Then I HAD to change the steel of the latter to LC200N, cause H1 only comes in sabre (hollow) grind and not ffg. So LC200N was the most realistic option for a still-Salt-Pac Salt 2 in ffg SE.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:27 am
This is tough. Both steels are favorites of mine and I strongly prefer liners...

I´d perhaps be equally fine with both versions, but as of now I´d prefer the Endura 4 in VG 10 to come in ffg SE.

Just for the reason, that I personally love VG10 (especially in SE) but have no experience with LC, don´t need its total rustproofness and Larrins last chart seems to indicate that VG10 is a bit superior in parameters more important to me as far as I can recall (would have to look that up again, but I think edge retention was better on VG10 - ?)

And: For Spyderco it would be a lot easier to make an Endura 4 ffg SE. They do have the handle already, they do have the ffg blade, they´d "just" have to grind serrations into that existing blade.
While an ffg SE Pac Salt would require a new (cause ffg) blade in a different steel...
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I had a similar experience as the OP. The cutting performance of my Paramilitary 2 FFG SE blew me away. I liked hollow ground SE, but FFG elevated my appreciation for SE to a whole new level.

I voted for the Pacific Salt 2 FFG SE LC200N. My Pacific Salt has taught me that the Endura/Pac Salt doesn't need liners, and LC200N's added corrosion resistance would benefit me.

However, if Spyderco offered the Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N, I would probably purchase a PE version first.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kels73 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:04 am
I had a similar experience as the OP. The cutting performance of my Paramilitary 2 FFG SE blew me away. I liked hollow ground SE, but FFG elevated my appreciation for SE to a whole new level.
OP here ;), glad you made the same experience!
Thanks for voting!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

I´d perhaps be equally fine with both versions, but as of now I´d prefer the Endura 4 in VG 10 to come in ffg SE.

Just for the reason, that I personally love VG10 (especially in SE) but have no experience with LC, don´t need its total rustproofness and Larrins last chart seems to indicate that VG10 is a bit superior in parameters more important to me as far as I can recall (would have to look that up again, but I think edge retention was better on VG10 - ?)

And: For Spyderco it would be a lot easier to make an Endura 4 ffg SE. They do have the handle already, they do have the ffg blade, they´d "just" have to grind serrations into that existing blade.
While an ffg SE Pac Salt would require a new (cause ffg) blade in a different steel...
Eh, you can compare chart notes all you want. Until you've used both, you can't reasonably answer this question.

Based on my usage, there is no discernible area where VG-10 exceeds LC. LC has been equal or better. Infact, I've experienced equal(if not slightly better) edge retention with LC, while being quicker to touch up.

None of this is scientific. But it is at least first hand, based on several years of carrying both VG-10 and LC200N, exclusively.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Eh, you can compare chart notes all you want. Until you've used both, you can't reasonably answer this question.

You are 100% right, but that's what I meant anyway... ;)
Let me put i clearer: If I had to decide right now based on my current knowledge I'd choose VG10, exactly because I know already what I get with this steel in SE, but not when it comes to LC. As soon as I get to try LC this might change of course!