Knife monogamy is a satisfying yet boring life

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Knife monogamy is a satisfying yet boring life

Post by Evil D »

I can not do rotations. I have tried, it's just not in my nature. I'm borderline OCD about some things and I don't mean that as a joke. I don't need to lock the doors 47 times or wash my hands 100 times a day, and I don't mean to make a joke of people who really do have that kind of OCD, but there are some things that I'm so particular about that I'm not comfortable if they change, and knife carry is one of those things. Once I'm really dialed in with a particular model or design, it's really hard for me to change.

Over the last 3 or so years my tastes have really changed (which alone is a big deal when you're so particular about what you like) and those tastes are getting even more specific, to the point where I don't have much interest in 80% of the knives I already own, and even less interest for new models coming out.

For starters you probably all know about me and SE by now so no reason to talk that into the ground. Once I learned about sharpening them and how to make them slice without snagging, it opened the door to a whole new world of performance that's way beyond anything I've experienced with PE, and because of that I haven't really considered buying any of the new models that aren't offered in SE. This alone cuts down my options by a huge percentage.

Next is ergonomics which lately have evolved into not wanting a 50/50 choil, which if you combine with the SE option really reduces my options to almost nothing. By this point almost everything in the catalog is a pass, and there are still details beyond those two that keep me from buying models that will fit those two requirements.

So I'm left with a few options, and they're options that I do really like or else I wouldn't limit myself to them, but it's a bit of a downer seeing all these threads that keep popping up about new models and seeing everyone excited over them, while I'm over here carrying the same old same old. On one hand it's nice being so satisfied with what I carry, and my wallet is thicker because of it, but it is a bit boring.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Re: Knife monogamy is a satisfying yet boring life

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That's why you can carry two! One for primary use, one for "fun".
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:35 am
Once I learned about sharpening them and how to make them slice without snagging, it opened the door to a whole new world of performance that's way beyond anything I've experienced with PE
At the risk of sounding totally incompetent, might you be able to point me to anything you have previously posted about achieving this (how to make SE slice without snagging)? I've tried some searches and am not finding it. If you have posted about it before I don't want to ask you to rewrite that content, but would love to read and learn from your experienc is you care to share. Thanks, Evil D!
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The CoPilot wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:51 am
Evil D wrote:
Once I learned about sharpening them and how to make them slice without snagging, it opened the door to a whole new world of performance that's way beyond anything I've experienced with PE
At the risk of sounding totally incompetent, might you be able to point me to anything you have previously posted about achieving this (how to make SE slice without snagging)? I've tried some searches and am not finding it. If you have posted about it before I don't want to ask you to rewrite that content, but would love to read and learn from your experienc is you care to share. Thanks, Evil D!

There's the "compendium" thread that I think is on the first page, lots of good sharpening info there.

My thoughts are pretty well summed up here.
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=84985
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Evil D wrote:
to the point where I don't have much interest in 80% of the knives I already own, and even less interest for new models coming out.
I hear ya, brother. I'm left handed, so all the frame locks, liner locks, compression locks--they're all off the table. But it's not a big problem, because they're not my favorite styles of lock, anyway.

But I understand your fidelity to one or two knives. I have a couple that I carry, depanding on my attire and what I'm doing. It's the same with guns and shoes. Sometimes you really NEED something different.

To be honest, I've been carrying a "side knife" for a couple months. But even a "side knife" needs commitment. First, it needs to be carried with the factory edge. Then it needs to be carried through a couple sharpenings, enough to get the edge exactly where you want it. Then it needs one more sharpening before it gets put in the drawer and exchanged for the "favorite" knife (I can never lay aside a knife with a less-than-perfect edge.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:19 am
There's the "compendium" thread that I think is on the first page, lots of good sharpening info there.

My thoughts are pretty well summed up here.
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=84985
That is absolutely perfect! Just what I was looking for! Thank you!
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Rock Jumper in SE coming this summer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

soulspy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:51 am
Rock Jumper in SE coming this summer.

Indeed, and I probably have my hopes too high for that one already but from pics it looks amazing.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I actually enjoy my knives more when I narrow the field. There’s only a few knives I actually carry and use on a regular basis anymore. At one point in my life, I went more than 10 years carrying and using one pocketknife, a Spartan SAK. I never got bored with it, because I only pulled it out when needed, and my knife interests I had since a kid had been overshadowed by other interests at that time.

The Spyderco I use the most now is my G10 Manix 2 in DLC. If I’m being honest, I don’t really need to buy any more knives. Sometimes I’ll switch it out for a Military or PM2, or a Salt if I’m going into the water, but the Manix 2 feels like a perfect fit for me. I don’t find limiting my options to what suits me boring at all. I’m picky anyway, and am not one to try out every new model and/or steel.

BTW, I do have mild OCD around certain things, which used to be bad when I was a kid. But no offense taken. :)

Jim
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Similar situation for me. I'm a bit more agnostic regarding SE or PE knives. I have been on a buying spree as my wife is retiring so my disposable income is going to vanish. I bought 8 folding knives over the last year. I want to start using them to see what I think of the designs and the steels, but most of them will just sit until I get a real urge to use them. My last knife is in the mail. I just keep grabbing the two knives below for all my user needs.

EDC-Endela SE for almost everything
Cardboard cutting for the recycling bin-Endura ZDP-189
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Well, I will have been monogamous with the same woman for fifty years next month and I cannot say it's been boring.

But I get your point.

The thing about this hobby--and it's a hobby, not an identity for me--is that one can go deep (as you do) or go wide (as I do), but there are no laws written that say you can't deepen or widen. For me, the Spyderco experience is just a simple pleasure that need not be overthunk, even if it is sometimes fun to wax philosophically...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t mind rotating but in a way the thrill is gone. I tend to carry the same knife for weeks at a time. I carried my S110V Military for about two months and have recently switched to a Cruwear Military. Before that it was my Rex45 Military but I was having corrosion issues so I grabbed the S110V instead. So I have basically carried some flavor of Military for quite a while now.

I have so many knives that I don’t get as excited about buying any more and I have rotated enough to now know what I like and don’t like.

The short answer, there is nothing wrong with knowing what you like and sticking with it. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wheats

Post by wheats »

For almost a full year I was almost exclusively DF 2 Salt. Fit every need and just worked. Moved to K390 Urban and now Para3 LW. Still collect but edc doesn’t change much, although I did try to carry the Nikakka the other day just for fun.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:47 am
That's why you can carry two! One for primary use, one for "fun".
Not for me Curly because I do carry a full plain edged folder along with a full Spyderedged folder and I've been doing so for quite some time now. Believe me it's not based on "fun" per se at all. Even though I do rotate periodically>> the bottom line is that I just want to be equipped for whatever cutting chore might encounter.

I can see Davids way of doing things and why he prefers to be married to one folder at a time>> because I used to be like that years ago. I do rotate at least once or twice a month but in the past two years I seem to always come back to my M390 Military and my Harpy or Spyderhawk for my full SE companion folder. The only way I permanently change my daily EDC tool carry is when I find a tool that is considerably better than what I'm already using. And it's usually got to be head & shoulders better too.

This is an interesting thread and I like to see what prompts other guys to do what they do with their EDC folders.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Knife model monogamy, in a way yes. That has been the case for a while, but especially with covid and me working from home 90% of the time. Now a steel monogamy? Not for me. I cheat all the time.

I would have saved a chunk of cash if I favored a knife which does not lend itself to lot of sprints and exclusives. Oh well.

Honestly, beyond a three knife polygamy, most of my other knifes I use because I have them. Yes I like them, and I do like the variety, but I really don't need to use them. Some just don't see any use, others used due to guilt. I need to off load some... and then a few more.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

In a way I envy your monogamous and boring ways. There's just too many models that I like having and I still enjoy switching them out and carrying something different each day. I'm starting to come around a little though. I recently made a trip back home (Chicago area) to visit family and friends and I only brought a Chap LW, Para 3 LW, and Manbug with me. It sure did make the decision on what to carry each day easy.

I've always said I could easily get by with only one or two pocket knives but, at the moment, I'm still enjoying having a wide variety to choose from
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:03 am
Similar situation for me. I'm a bit more agnostic regarding SE or PE knives. I have been on a buying spree as my wife is retiring so my disposable income is going to vanish. I bought 8 folding knives over the last year. I want to start using them to see what I think of the designs and the steels, but most of them will just sit until I get a real urge to use them. My last knife is in the mail. I just keep grabbing the two knives below for all my user needs.

EDC-Endela SE for almost everything
Cardboard cutting for the recycling bin-Endura ZDP-189

I fully understand that. This knife just CAN do everything in my use either, and almost always better than PE. Just the cutting edge can be a bit short for some tasks.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I hear you, David, especially on the SE-thing...

Fortunately (concerning that matter) I am not OCD at all, and so I can still appreciate, carry and use PE Spydies for their ergos, blade geometry, steel or whatever (and I mean: I is not like they would not cut VERY well either.. ;) )

Still: If I could choose, I´d want almost all of my users come in ffg full SE, and since I can´t and don´t want to have too many folders (10 at max in order to really being able to use them all frequently), I really begin to think differently about new purchases: For example: Should I really get another Manix LW in another steel, or should I save my bucks for an SE model that might soon appear? And so on...

Other than that: I found that I want to have my main, day to day, forever keeper folders to have a backlock or CBBL if possible. Not that I don´t like other lock types (I do), but in what I am using every day I enjoy the two mentioned above just the most (and I guess that´s also the main reason why I haven`t gotten a Caribbean yet).

Everything else is really just preferences: For example: I prefer FRN over G10, but if a nice model only comes with the latter, that´s not a deal breaker at all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I envy you my friend! Being knife monogamous would definitely make my morning decision easier.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For years I also gone by the philosophy that states "Variety Is The Spice Of Life" and it goes that way with folding knives too for me. I'm to the point now that I rarely buy or trade for any knife that I wouldn't use in real life. Which is one selling point that drew me to Spyderco long ago. They truly have a really great line up of very pragmatic, usable models.

When I got my first Dodo model I had said to myself that knife was nothing more than a "novelty">> boy was I wrong about that one. Just for curiosity I EDC my blue PE Dodo for a week and I was pleasantly surprised at how useful that blade was.

Spyderco just has such an interesting line up I just can't be satisfied with merely one knife ( folder or fixed blade). I may even try a forced rotation. I might just force myself to rotate EDC folders about every 3 months and see how that works out. But on the other hand I don't want to restrict myself from a knife that I would really need for a certain job either.