Steak Knife Recommendations

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Zatx

Steak Knife Recommendations

Post by Zatx »

Looking for plain-edged steak knife recommendations. Preferably a set of 6 that don't break the bank, but are better than the junk that comes with cheap kitchen knife sets.
JD Spydo

Re: Steak Knife Recommendations

Post by JD Spydo »

It's interesting that the subject of "steak knives" would come up. Because just recently I've seen some really impressive looking steak knives made by a couple of impressive knife companies.

One that immediately comes to mind is the "Willian Henry" company. They also make some very impressive looking folders as well.

I've got some nice steak knives made by 2 impressive German knife companies. J.A. Henckel and Wustof both have nice steak knives.

I've kind of wondered over the years why Spyderco hasn't yet come out with a nice set of steak knives?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Sorry don't have any specific recommendations but if you look on Amazon there are pages of different steak knife sets. I have an old Japanese made set by Farberware. Nothing fancy but the get very sharp and serve their purpose. They work just as well as my Wustof's. Good luck in your search, let us know what you decide.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Forschner
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:05 am
One that immediately comes to mind ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

In my area, Tramontina makes set of 6 with wooden handle. Knowing their machete is reliable, I think their steak knives can’t be that bad.

Haven’t bought any, but that’s because I use my pocket knives for many things and Victorinox in the kitchen.

Edit: just re-read, you want PE. The Tramontina is SE. Alternatively one can just buy 6 pcs of Victorinox blunt tip paring. I used to see them often but now can only find SE steak knives, here: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-6-783 ... B005LRYQ2A
Chris :spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have a feeing my Bow River will see steak knife action when they drop.
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a very nice Bradford steak knife, but I think that a full set isn't really realistic on any normal person's budget.

I have a Shun steak knife that I like too, but I think they are just as pricey as the Bradfords.

It may be sacrilege, but my cheap Ikea steak knives (we have several sets) get the most use, and I've been perfectly happy with them.

Mora makes a steak knife, but I can't see what advantage it has over a standard (and much cheaper) Mora. It might be interesting to try using a Mora #1 as a steak knife. Probably better if you reground it thinner, but then you're blowing up the budget again.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the 4" Spyderco kitchen utility as a steak knife. My personal choice when I am home though is the CE Catcherman. Super thin and plenty of length to slice through even the thickest of cuts in just one pass.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
benben

Post by benben »

Cruise through here, I've got a few great deals on Shun kitchen knives from W & S. Already narrowed down to just steak knives.
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cu ... _type=gnav
benben

Post by benben »

I know you said set of 6, but this set of 4 is a smoking deal!
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... x=0.0.1900
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I bought these a few months ago and they are absolutely PHENOMENAL for the price! And they are still in stock.

https://www.dlttrading.com/kai-6-piece-steak-knife-set
Josh
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I think Opinel makes a set of steak knives.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

When I'm going out specifically for steak or traveling this is in my pocket/EDC bag.......

https://www.amazon.com/Kai-5700-Folding ... B01FUW6ANI

Mine is the older micarta handled model. I've used it several years now and sharpened it twice. Does an excellent job and doesn't scare folks like my Military or REKAT Carnivore use to.

At home I just use whichever Victorinox/Spyderco/Global kitchen knife I used prepping the meal.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting this thread would come back up again because I found a nice set of steak knives at a local thrift store. They are made by one of my favorite knife companies VICTORINOX. I paid close to $3 for the entire set. They have a red handle and some relatively small serrations. However I sharpened them other day after I bought them and they took a really super sharp edge. They were Swiss made as well.

On my original post on this thread I mentioned William Henry. About 10 years ago they offered a set of steak knives made with ZDP-189. I thought that was an interesting blade steel selection because to me that would be extreme overkill for a steak knife in my humble opinion. Also recently I picked up a couple of German made steak knives at a local garage sale made by a company known as "WMF". I paid 25 cents each for those at the garage sale. They also sharpened up nicely as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 am
Forschner
I got one of the Forschner butcher steels at a thrift store a couple of months ago for 99 cents. It's a smooth one like I prefer most of the time and it seems like a quality unit. I don't think it's as good as my German made F. Dick sharpening steels but it is well made none the less. I noticed that just about any dealer that deals in Forschner knives usually always sells Victorinox knives as well.

Speaking of F. Dick of Germany there is a local restaurant supply company that sells their knives and they make some excellent steak knives as well. F. Dick of Germany also sells a wide range of high quality culinary knives as well as their sharpening steels.