The DAMAUKPK Project: Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hugin for me. I like the repeating pattern - it looks more deliberate.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

fixall wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:42 pm
I think Rose is probably my least favorite Damasteel pattern.
Good shout on the rose. It does not look great in person.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I happen to have a chunk of Bjorkman's twist Damasteel nearby (still trying to make a Damasteel Shaman happen), so this is what that pattern looks like in person:

I'm partial to it, haha!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I used to own a custom with Bjorkman's twist. It was very nice.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

So, I have been looking at the patterns for most if today and I think I am liking Thor the most.

[*]https://damasteel.se/wp-content/uploads ... or-web.png
Last edited by Superfool on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:01 pm
Thanx Turbo,

Actually, I would be interested in your opinion on choice of pattern.

sal
No problem!

I personally like the following blades but it seems that blade size AND pattern need to be considered when choosing a pattern so that the blades come out somewhat uniform (unless that's not what most what) and some/many patterns loose their character on smaller blade stock.

Odins Eye looks great on the first blade but looses it on the small Victorinox blade IMO.

Gysinge

Odin Heim

and hard to argue with a tight Ladder

Edit:

I like Thor too...
-Turbo
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've noticed that orientation also matters a bunch - for instance, many of the 40th anniversary natives have the Thor pattern in the vertical orientation, not following the handle to the tip. (Still an incredible knife!) I can only imagine the logistics necessary to arrange that in a factory environment, however.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Hi all.

Handle discussion over here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87017
David

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I like the more organic looking patterns which look like burled wood grain, or ink dispersing in water, like the Odin, Thor, Bjorkman's Twist, and Vinland types.

I notice some of them have different steel grades and combos too. I'm going to have to research that a bit more.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I like the Ægir.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
fixall

Post by fixall »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:35 pm
I like the more organic looking patterns which look like burled wood grain, or ink dispersing in water, like the Odin, Thor, Bjorkman's Twist, and Vinland types.

I notice some of them have different steel grades and combos too. I'm going to have to research that a bit more.
I imagine the Damasteel would be Damasteel DS93X martensitic, which is a combo of RWL34 (aka cpm-154 or PM ATS-34) and PMC-27 (aka PM 12C27).

Damacore DC18N is a cladded steel with DS93X on outside and N11X (similar to Vanax) for the core. This would be cool, but it’s probably not what most people think of when they think of Damasteel damascus. It’s probably super spendy too.

Damasteel DS95X Austenitic is a damascus made with 304L and 316L stainless. Neither of which are very suitable for a high performance knife.

Neither Damasteel RWL34, nor Damasteel Nitrobe77 are damascus steels.

DS92X and DS96X are both designed to be used for gun barrels.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

fixall wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 pm
I imagine the Damasteel would be Damasteel DS93X martensitic, which is a combo of RWL34 (aka cpm-154 or PM ATS-34) and PMC-27 (aka PM 12C27).

Damacore DC18N is a cladded steel with DS93X on outside and N11X (similar to Vanax) for the core. This would be cool, but it’s probably not what most people think of when they think of Damasteel damascus. It’s probably super spendy too.

Damasteel DS95X Austenitic is a damascus made with 304L and 316L stainless. Neither of which are very suitable for a high performance knife.

Excellent info Fixall, thank you.

Ah, so a given designation refers to both the dark and light steels used in that particular type. That makes sense.

I looked up the different DS grades on the Knife Steel Database app, and that would explain why they weren’t on there.

I’d be interested to hear of any comments on edge quality from people who have damasteel knives. Both RWL34 and PM 12C27 would be excellent knife steels, but they’d have different wear rates and slightly different hardening responses in heat treat, so I wonder if you’d get that ‘microserrated’ effect after a bit of use, like the way the classic damascus of old was supposed to behave?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thor is a fairly coarse pattern, and I can't say I've put enough miles on my 40th anniversary native to show any visible difference in wear. Something like a dense twist might perform better when it comes to edge behavior/microserrations.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:30 am
fixall wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 pm

Excellent info Fixall, thank you.

Ah, so a given designation refers to both the dark and light steels used in that particular type. That makes sense.

I looked up the different DS grades on the Knife Steel Database app, and that would explain why they weren’t on there.

I’d be interested to hear of any comments on edge quality from people who have damasteel knives. Both RWL34 and PM 12C27 would be excellent knife steels, but they’d have different wear rates and slightly different hardening responses in heat treat, so I wonder if you’d get that ‘microserrated’ effect after a bit of use, like the way the classic damascus of old was supposed to behave?
Happy to help. :)

I have a knife in Damasteel with the Dense Twist pattern but it hasn’t really gotten enough use yet to really get a feel for the steel’s properties.

Larrin of KnifeSteelNerds and his father Devin (a legend when it comes to damascus) did a catra edge retention with damascus using AEB-L (similar to 12c27) and 154cm and found the edge retention ended up splitting the difference between 12c27 and 154cm on their own (they used a ladder pattern to ensure the edge had the micro-serration pattern).

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/07/30/ ... cus-steel/
Last edited by fixall on Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I would be down I love the drop point blade. I like the gysinge pattern
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Hi everyone.

Last call for options on the handle before we go to preliminary poll.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87017

Please look at the list, and offer a suggestion if you dont see an option you have burning desires for.

Thank you.
David

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Pardon the sacrilegious picture, but I really like the Ægir pattern. It has a sort of ocean wave/undertow pattern.

Reminds me of Hawaii, for some reason.
(Sets rolling in)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

fixall wrote: Happy to help. :)

I have a knife in Damasteel with the Dense Twist pattern but it hasn’t really gotten enough use yet to really get a feel for the steel’s properties.

Larrin of KnifeSteelNerds and his father Devin (a legend when it comes to damascus) did a catra edge retention with damascus using AEB-L (similar to 12c27) and 154cm and found the edge retention ended up splitting the difference between 12c27 and 154cm on their own (they used a ladder pattern to ensure the edge had the micro-serration pattern).
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 am
Thor is a fairly coarse pattern, and I can't say I've put enough miles on my 40th anniversary native to show any visible difference in wear. Something like a dense twist might perform better when it comes to edge behavior/microserrations.

Thanks Fixall and Curly, those are good points about different patterns probably exhibiting that ‘micro serrated’ effect more than others.

I suppose you’d have to get a fair bit of wear, or have the edge ground fairly thin to see the effect at all.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

OK - The scales poll is up

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87046

3 days this time.
David

Superfool

Post by Superfool »

DAMAUKPK damasteel options prepoll vote HERE: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2#p1433972

Please come and vote for you first, second and least favourite options, as per the guide.

Thanks, David
David