701 Profile Stone Instructions - download here

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: 701 Profile Stone Instructions - download here

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for that interesting read.

I was sorry to hear recently that there won't be another run of these, as it was thought they would be too expensive to sell well.

I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to find a set on the secondary market. They do seem like they would be very useful. In the meantime, I guess it's time to check out the Goldenstone.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

One could argue that the Goldenstone gives you part of the 701 Profile Set.

It does have the same profile, if spread over a broader flatter surface of white stuff.

But, if I recall Sal correctly, there will not be a brown Goldenstone, owing to production costs and limited life-expectancy (because friable).

My numerous Spyderedges do wish the 701 Profile Set would come back into production.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sal

Post by sal »

The Pro-Files were the predecessor to the Golden Stones. The technology wasn't there at the time to make the Golden Stone.

We got quotes on re-making the Pro-Files and they were cost prohibitive.

sal
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am

It does have the same profile, if spread over a broader flatter surface of white stuff.

But, if I recall Sal correctly, there will not be a brown Goldenstone, owing to production costs and limited life-expectancy (because friable).

My numerous Spyderedges do wish the 701 Profile Set would come back into production.
Yes, I’m looking forward to trying one out. It doesn’t seem to have the rounded corners to fit the tight serrations though, as far as I can see?

I currently use the Doublestuff 2 edges for those serrations, as well as a round Idahone UF rod for the wide scallops and a 1/3 length piece of broken Sharpmaker UF rod, held freehand to finish with.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:18 am
The Pro-Files were the predecessor to the Golden Stones. The technology wasn't there at the time to make the Golden Stone.

We got quotes on re-making the Pro-Files and they were cost prohibitive.

sal
Thanks for clarifying. Am I correct in recalling a brown Goldenstone is not happening?

The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Sal:

Found these images of 701 Profile stones online. Any idea when these might have been made. If I recall correctly, this style of red and black Spyderco package came into existence around 2008(?) How much longer beyond that time were the Profiles still being produced?
Attachments
701MF_Front.jpg
701MF_Back2.jpg
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Wrdwrght,

I was just thinking about how could we do that? I think we'd have to offer them with no warrantee against wear? We're getting ready to make another run of Goldenstones. HHHhhhmmmmm.

BTW, I'm planning a CBN "Duckfoot" to go with the Golden stone.

Hey CoPilot,

Hard to say, used different packaging. And we made them for a long time. They were not a big seller, but their shape served certain people. Now the Golden Stone does it all pus more.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:51 pm
I think we'd have to offer them with no warrantee against wear? We're getting ready to make another run of Goldenstones. HHHhhhmmmmm.

I’d jump on a brown Goldenstone without the warranty in a heartbeat, and will watch for more info on the CBN Duckfoot.

Thanks for the quick response.

The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Thank you, Sal.

I checked the few Spyderco catalogs online and the 701 Profiles last appeared in the 2011 catalog and were absent from the 2012 catalog onward.
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Duckfoot was one item I really regretted not picking up. It'd be a great BOB item or just part of a travel kit. The Sharpmaker is great, of course, but not necessary for putting on a quick edge.

I don't mind freehand with a diamond plate (which I have now in my kit) but the added precision of a sharpening system would add a lot of value for me. I put together a "road trip kitchen" for this year so I could see friends and family out west, and the Duckfoot would have been an ideal add-in.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am

I totally agree with everything you said here. The more I play around with and experiment with my GOLDENSTONE the more sharpening jobs I find that tool to be good for. Yeah I have heard Sal himself say that they are working on GOLDENSTONEs with other grit selections and the sooner the better is all I can say.

Most of the guys here tend to think I'm a bit old fashioned for sharpening many of my serrated blades with my Spyderco 701 Profile set. The Results I get are awesome if you want to spend the time. Oh sure the 204 Sharpmaker will put an edge on serrations for the most part but there is something really nice and precise using those 701 Profiles.

Also I'm really starting to like Evil D's method of using Dremel Tools to put a final edge on serrated blades. It just makes a good thing better IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The CoPilot wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:02 am
Since the instructions that Fred Sanford (the OP) originally linked to this thread no longer work, I found on another forum where he had uploaded this same document to Google Drive and was able to download the file. I have converted the instructions to image form to allow them to be attached here. The 701 and 702 Profiles are still one of my all-time favorite Spyderco sharpening products and I just wish they were more available to that everyone could experience them. If you own serrated edge Spyderco knives, you NEED a set of these stones.
Thanks "Co-Pilot" for providing that information for us. I hope that Fred Sanford aka David Lowry chimes in again on this thread. Interesting you mention the 702 Profiles>> they are a smaller version of the 701 Profiles but extremely handy. I kept mine over the years and I do find uses for my 702 Profiles from time to time. I wish Spyderco would bring both of them back and with more grit selections. If they would even make a diamond 701 Profile it would be incredible what I could do with serrated blades.

Another older sharpening tool they had back in the mid to late 90s. It was called the GALLEY V sharpener. When they discontinued the unit I bought all the extra stones they had for the Galley V ( 6 of them). That GALLEY V, cat's eye stone is really unique and can sharpen a lot of curved blades with ease. Spyderco should get as much fanfare for their sharpening equipment as they do with their knives. All of their products are high quality.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 pm
Interesting you mention the 702 Profiles>> they are a smaller version of the 701 Profiles but extremely handy. I kept mine over the years and I do find uses for my 702 Profiles from time to time. I wish Spyderco would bring both of them back and with more grit selections.
Years ago I had the good fortune of scoring an eBay lot that was part of the closeout stock of a knife store in the Pacific Northwest. The lot I won consisted of “new-old-stock“ Spyderco sharpening items that included a large medium grit bench stone in a dark blue plastic case, two small, flat, fine stones in leather sleeves, a Doublestuff stone with leather sleeve, two sets of 701 Profiles (8”) and two sets of 702 Profiles (4”). I think I paid about $80 for the lot but felt like I got a good deal at the time. I love the Profiles and use the frequently on my serrated Spydercos.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The CoPilot wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:25 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 pm
Interesting you mention the 702 Profiles>> they are a smaller version of the 701 Profiles but extremely handy. I kept mine over the years and I do find uses for my 702 Profiles from time to time. I wish Spyderco would bring both of them back and with more grit selections.
Years ago I had the good fortune of scoring an eBay lot that was part of the closeout stock of a knife store in the Pacific Northwest. The lot I won consisted of “new-old-stock“ Spyderco sharpening items that included a large medium grit bench stone in a dark blue plastic case, two small, flat, fine stones in leather sleeves, a Doublestuff stone with leather sleeve, two sets of 701 Profiles (8”) and two sets of 702 Profiles (4”). I think I paid about $80 for the lot but felt like I got a good deal at the time. I love the Profiles and use the frequently on my serrated Spydercos.
No dude you didn't get a good deal>> no!! you literally made out like a bandit :D You better be grateful I wasn't bidding on that auction :D
I think that the 701 Profiles are a victim of the lack of information. Had there been a lot better information available as to what all sharpening jobs those stones are good for it would have been an entirely different market today. They would have never been discontinued had they put out more information on them.

I've mainly learned about the 701 Profile stones by trial and error which may be one of the best ways to learn about a tool. There is no doubt that the 204 Sharpmaker can put a great edge on serrated blades and in much less time too. But the edge I can obtain by using the 701 Profiles are worth the extra time. I just do my sharpening while listening to videos, movies, ball games, ect and it's a great way to pass the time. Not to mention the reward of the results you can get. It's a crying shame that Sal's great inventions like the GOLDENSTONE and 701 Profiles go largely ignored because of the lack of information available on them. But I got a feeling that is about to change shortly.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for the further info on the Goldenstone, JD, Sal and Wrdwright.

I’ve got one heading over the Pacific to Oz as we speak, from New Graham. :) ;) :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Hi Wrdwrght,

I was just thinking about how could we do that? I think we'd have to offer them with no warrantee against wear? We're getting ready to make another run of Goldenstones. HHHhhhmmmmm.

Hey CoPilot,

Hard to say, used different packaging. And we made them for a long time. They were not a big seller, but their shape served certain people. Now the Golden Stone does it all pus more.

sal

Sal,

The 701 Profiles are very nice, I use mine a lot, touch up the knives I use in the kitchen with mine.

If they weren't a good seller then it is what it is I suppose...

Still would be nice to see them offered again I think.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:38 am
sal wrote:
Hi Wrdwrght,

Hey CoPilot,

sal

Sal,

The 701 Profiles are very nice, I use mine a lot, touch up the knives I use in the kitchen with mine.

If they weren't a good seller then it is what it is I suppose...

Still would be nice to see them offered again I think.

Jim
Those 701 Profiles are also extremely handy to have in the field if you're out hunting, fishing, Hiking or any other outdoor venture. I've kept one of my 701 Profile kits in my main tool box and it comes in very handy at times. They also make really good files for certain jobs.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

So what are you willing to pay for a set?

sal
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I can’t speak for JD, of course, but I’d be curious to know what the price point range would have been, if you felt like sharing that information, Sal. I don’t mind paying a premium for good sharpening kit, but I recognise that others might balk at it.

Freehand sharpening gear seems to be a bit less popular with knife knuts these days than guided systems.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:12 pm
Hi JD,

So what are you willing to pay for a set?

sal
The last set I bought was through New Graham. I bought them the very day I heard that they were going to be discontinued. I believe it was back around 2012 or thereabout. To the best of my memory I think I paid about $50 to $55. But it's been a while and I could be a little off. I'm sure they would have to cost more now a days for sure. What ever is fair :)

I just hope that if they do come back to the main line up they will be offered in more grit selections. I would love an Ultra-Fine and a Diamond 701 Profile.