Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by Sharp Guy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:41 pm
I'm impressed with the way it's constructed.
Yeah when you consider the work involved it's easier to understand the price. I thought some might appreciate seeing the internals.

I was a little disappointed by a couple things at first but this knife won't be leaving my collection any time soon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 pm
Yeah when you consider the work involved it's easier to understand the price. I thought some might appreciate seeing the internals.

I was a little disappointed by a couple things at first but this knife won't be leaving my collection any time soon
Double internal stop pins? Well, you dont see that every day :D The area that support the washers is stainless steel?

Swayback is a very nice design piece, have to say. But for me, its waay above my price limit. But a very nice design.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
jdw

Post by jdw »

I appreciate the look inside the knife. It really is well made. My opinion about the knife has evolved. I used mine in the garden and flower beds yesterday to gather some tomatoes, vegetables and general gardening tasks. It worked great and it is a great slicer. The tip removes the vegetables cleanly and quickly and it would be a great knife for grafting. After I wrapped up I rinsed it, blew it out with compressed air and lubed the pivot. The action has loosened and it is much easier to open. The opening action is still kind of awkward feeling but it is a very nice knife and I don't have any regrets about the purchase.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:01 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 pm

Double internal stop pins? Well, you dont see that every day :D The area that support the washers is stainless steel?

Swayback is a very nice design piece, have to say. But for me, its waay above my price limit. But a very nice design.
My understanding is that they mask that area to leave it untreated during the acid etch or whatever finishing process is used.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:39 am
My understanding is that they mask that area to leave it untreated during the acid etch or whatever finishing process is used.
Ok, that's seems reasonable. Somehow I thought that that area has to be stainless, but i messed it up with bearings, bearings on titanium are not great, but PB washers on titanium are ok.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:51 pm
Ok, that's seems reasonable. Somehow I thought that that area has to be stainless, but i messed it up with bearings, bearings on titanium are not great, but PB washers on titanium are ok.
I have several Titanium frame-locks from various manufacturers that run on bearings. I haven't taken them all apart, so I could be wrong, but I think most of them have the bearings running directly on the Ti frame. No issues with any of them.
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:27 pm
Pancake wrote:
I have several Titanium frame-locks from various manufacturers that run on bearings. I haven't taken them all apart, so I could be wrong, but I think most of them have the bearings running directly on the Ti frame. No issues with any of them.
Steel bearings will ride on steel washers rather than directly on the titanium. It is like that on the numerous frame locks I own with bearings. The exception is a knife that rides on ceramic bearings. Those can ride directly on the titanium.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice marmot wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:27 pm
Pancake wrote:
Steel bearings will ride on steel washers rather than directly on the titanium. It is like that on the numerous frame locks I own with bearings. The exception is a knife that rides on ceramic bearings. Those can ride directly on the titanium.
Yeah I own a few with steel bearing and steel washers too but I'm pretty sure I have several that have steel bearings that are running directly on the Ti frame. Are the ball bearings in Spyderco's latest bearing system steel? If so, I'm pretty sure they aren't running on steel washers. Thinking about it I think all my other knives with bearings from other manufacturers are running ceramic bearings.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Swayback. The lines just flow. Blade finish is so clean. Plus that sculptured handle, like on a Slysz Bowie. Awesome, awesome knife. Imho Swayback is an instant Spyderco classic...

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PiterM wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:59 pm
Swayback. The lines just flow. Blade finish is so clean. Plus that sculptured handle, like on a Slysz Bowie. Awesome, awesome knife. Imho Swayback is an instant Spyderco classic...

^ That's a beautiful shot Piter!

I agree, the Swayback is an instant classic
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I just got a MXG clip and it fits Swayback much better than the Lynch clip (it sits flush with the edge of the scale). I've really enjoyed carrying mine and using it for some light tasks. Great design! And regarding opening with my thumbpad: it's a little more difficult than some knives but I think that's due to a combination of having a deeper thumb cutout (as in the scales are a little thicker than some other Spyderco frame Ti framelocks) and a slightly smaller spydiehole than normal. Doesn't bother me at all though and like I said I can open mine fine. It's one of the smoothest spydies I've handled.

PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Nice match with that clip, thanks for suggestion.
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

SFO had swaybacks back in stock for few hours.
"stay puft."
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Man I love the Swayback. Picked one up last week and very happy with it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It's been very interesting to see the enthusiast response to this knife. In many ways there's a lot of pent up demand for contoured Slysz designs ever since the Bowie got hyped up towards the end of its life.

A lot of that demand never got a chance to actually handle or own a Bowie, so the Swayback hitting customer hands is the first taste of reality.

There's no way the reality could match the hype, but the letdown has led to some overcorrections. Nobody really doubts that the clip could have been done better, but the ergo improvements, grind, blade shape, and lockbar insert (at last!!) allow the Swayback to stand head and shoulders above the previous Bowie.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think it looks like a beautiful and amazing knife. i just can’t afford it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mine has become easier to open one-handed now, but I think it is more likely that my thumb has become more accustomed to the slightly different technique needed to open it. The clip remains a literal sore point, however. I really need to stop stalling and order an aftermarket clip.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The sculpted one from MXGgear works well.

EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:06 pm
The sculpted one from MXGgear works well.

I may go with that one. While I'd prefer the wire clip I don't mind the stock hourglass clip as much as some other folks. But I do like how that sculpted clip looks
Joey

Post by Joey »

These clips look excellent! That said, I don’t have as much of a problem with the stock clip as most seem to have. I’m just happy it is a standard screw pattern.

I haven’t played around with it too much just yet, but with little to no use, mine has developed a locking issue. I can force the lock closed with pressure on the back(or top of the grind) of the blade. I can get it to stay locked if I push the lock bar slightly further in, but merely opening the knife won’t allow the lock to fully engage. This same issue is present on my CRKT CEO (same amount of usage).