Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by JRinFL »

Well, I'm not SG nor have I played her on TV, but do very much like the Swayback. I have found that I can flick it open, but a slow opening is a little more difficult due to the position of the framelock relative to where my fingers fit.
My clip will be replaced soon with a MXG that more closely resembles the prototype's clip.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:53 am
Well, I'm not SG nor have I played her on TV, but do very much like the Swayback. I have found that I can flick it open, but a slow opening is a little more difficult due to the position of the framelock relative to where my fingers fit.
My clip will be replaced soon with a MXG that more closely resembles the prototype's clip.
Thank you for the feedback, JR. I’m trying my best to resist temptation on this one, but it may get the best of me before too long. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:43 am
But overall, do you like the Swayback?
Yes, I do. It's got something special about it. When I first saw a picture of the prototype/Slysz' version of it years ago I fell in love too. I never got the chance to own a Bowie so this is making up for it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:03 am
Thank you for the feedback, JR. I’m trying my best to resist temptation on this one, but it may get the best of me before too long. :D
I was trying to resist as well since it is above my comfort level price-wise, but there is something about this knife that is so appealing. Je ne sais quoi
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

So for me to open the knife one handed i have to hold the knife like so.Image
I can also hold the knife with the Spydie hole facing up, ease the blade open and flick my wrist to open it as well.
Spydergirl88
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Pressure on the lockbar doesn't have more than a slight impact on action for me.

For me, I'm more impressed with the rock solid lockup and insert than the clip. I can fix the clip (I have a machined Ti one on it from MXG gear), fixing play or a sliding lock is a lot harder.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

It is perfect... nice & unique with oldschool charm. Here’s mine on a ranch. Lockup is dead solid! Clip just changed for same shaped but titanium (blasted & re-drilled SALT 2 clip).

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:43 am
But overall, do you like the Swayback?
Yes, I do. It's got something special about it. When I first saw a picture of the prototype/Slysz' version of it years ago I fell in love too. I never got the chance to own a Bowie so this is making up for it.
Glad to hear it. It’s pretty cool that this one stayed in the pipeline and eventually made it to production. I reckon I’ll *need* to get one at some point. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PiterM wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am
It is perfect... nice & unique with oldschool charm. Here’s mine on a ranch. Lockup is dead solid! Clip just changed for same shaped but titanium (blasted & re-drilled SALT 2 clip).

Superb shot! 👍

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Also I've been testing thumb flicking this knife and it is easy to do, so there's another way of opening it. I like to open it slow though
Spydergirl88
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Currently back in stock at KnifeWorks if anyone is still looking.

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-swaybac ... um-handle/
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I just finished chopping mine down to 7" OAL, and widening the access cutout, w/ a ramp to the cutout. Adding the clip tomorrow, but can't decide which. I'll post pics in the next couple days once it's done.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

DigDug72 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:48 am
I just finished chopping mine down to 7" OAL, and widening the access cutout, w/ a ramp to the cutout. Adding the clip tomorrow, but can't decide which. I'll post pics in the next couple days once it's done.
Wowzers, you are bold to chop this one down!
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jdw

Post by jdw »

I received mine and I am not really impressed. Opening it with one hand using the Spydie hole is absolutely impossible for me. The hole is small, really small compared to the knife and the action is extremely stiff. It is only two handed opening and I have tried various techniques. The design is cool and funky but I feel like I way over paid for this knife. I understand that Ti isn't cheap and Mr Slysz needs his money but the F&F on my REX Manix is better at half the price. Plus it is actually functional. Just my .02.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
mb1

Post by mb1 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:24 am
DigDug72 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:48 am
Wowzers, you are bold to chop this one down!
Dittos! Looking fwd to seeing that.

I was wondering if anyone would anodize those big ol’ titanium slabs for a splash of color.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Weird to see accounts mentioning stiff action. That said, mine came with oil all over, so I'm pretty sure it was over lubed. Maybe that's why it was smooth out of the box?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

jdw wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:45 am
I received mine and I am not really impressed. Opening it with one hand using the Spydie hole is absolutely impossible for me. The hole is small, really small compared to the knife and the action is extremely stiff. It is only two handed opening and I have tried various techniques. The design is cool and funky but I feel like I way over paid for this knife. I understand that Ti isn't cheap and Mr Slysz needs his money but the F&F on my REX Manix is better at half the price. Plus it is actually functional. Just my .02.
That is what basically happened with me and the Techno 2. Difficult to open with one hand. Heavy. The blade very thick. And too expensive for what I got. Sold it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:33 pm
jdw wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:45 am
That is what basically happened with me and the Techno 2. Difficult to open with one hand. Heavy. The blade very thick. And too expensive for what I got. Sold it.

Carrying this “Swayback” instead. It’s a Great Eastern Cutlery Easy Pocket Congress 1095 steel.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I went ahead and took mine apart this morning. Nothing amiss but it did have a lot of lube. I cleaned up the excess lube and put it back together. I can now open it just fine using the pad of my thumb. Not sure what changed. It's definitely much better now

Also, not sure, but the detent ball appears to be ceramic. It has a glossy appearance compared the steel ones I've seen. Could be wrong here though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm impressed with the way it's constructed.