Pacific Salt praise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Higher

Re: Pacific Salt praise

Post by Higher »

I continue if you will.

It's about Pacific Salt first generation. With handle from Endura 3.
Initially, this knife was assembled on pins. About 10 years ago, instead of pins, screws were installed.
as below in the photo

I got my knife on pins in very poor condition. He did not work well. I want to fix my knife.
I laid it on the section table and dissected :eek:
You can see previous posts.

In the blade hole for the axis 3 mm. Lock hole 2.5 mm.
I don’t know whether the screws from Pacific Salt are suitable for the first generation of screws.

If anyone has Pacific Salt first generation on screws.
I ask you to measure the screws.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Higher wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 pm
I continue if you will.

It's about Pacific Salt first generation. With handle from Endura 3.
Initially, this knife was assembled on pins. About 10 years ago, instead of pins, screws were installed.
as below in the photo

I got my knife on pins in very poor condition. He did not work well. I want to fix my knife.
I laid it on the section table and dissected :eek:
You can see previous posts.

In the blade hole for the axis 3 mm. Lock hole 2.5 mm.
I don’t know whether the screws from Pacific Salt are suitable for the first generation of screws.

If anyone has Pacific Salt first generation on screws.
I ask you to measure the screws.
(I am going to try to say this so the machine translator will understand :) ) I checked a 1st generation Pac Salt which has screws. This knife has a more sophisticated pivot (=axis). It is a barrel screw (a screw which screws into a threaded sleeve). The sleeve is flat on one side (D shaped in cross section). The hole in the left side of the handle is also D shaped so that it holds the pivot stationary. This of course allows the pivot to be tightened or loosened. On each side, a small metal washer fits into a recessed place in the handle. The screw is a Torx 7 and the outer sleeve diameter (and washer hole) is 4 mm. The screw which holds the lock bar in place is a Torx 6, but when I tried to remove it, it just spun around on both sides and I couldn't get it out. (Let me know if you would like me to take a couple of pictures.)

Edit: Later I was able to loosen the lock screw on my new black Pac Salt and was surprised to find another barrel screw, quite miniscule, 3 mm outside diameter. The outer barrel part was firmly in place, so I left it.
Edited to insert pic. It's amazing how simple and effective this design is:
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

@ Higher, I think something similar to this might work:

(The pivot in the Pac Salt just has one removable screw and the other end is capped off, but, frequently, barrel screws come with removable screws in both ends for attaching scales on fixed blade knives, etc.)

https://usaknifemaker.com/pivot-barrel- ... bh-ss.html

It's a barrel screw set for a knife pivot, hardened stainless steel. It was one of the first things that came up when I googled "small barrel screw." This set is 1/8" x 5/16" (3.2 mm x 7.9mm "barrel") and you could find the right size washers, tighten both sides to adjust the pivot, and use Loktite. Just glancing at their website, it looked like they might not mind small orders. If you can't find such a place near you, I could order some from this place and mail them to you. I went back and checked, and they will sell as little as one item like this. If you choose to use something like this, I'll be glad to check and see if they have the exact size you need. Also, the ends could probably be ground to achieve the right length without damaging the screw threads too much.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Higher

Post by Higher »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:47 pm

(I am going to try to say this so the machine translator will understand :) ) I checked a 1st generation Pac Salt which has screws. This knife has a more sophisticated pivot (=axis). It is a barrel screw (a screw which screws into a threaded sleeve). The sleeve is flat on one side (D shaped in cross section). The hole in the left side of the handle is also D shaped so that it holds the pivot stationary. This of course allows the pivot to be tightened or loosened. On each side, a small metal washer fits into a recessed place in the handle. The screw is a Torx 7 and the outer sleeve diameter (and washer hole) is 4 mm. The screw which holds the lock bar in place is a Torx 6, but when I tried to remove it, it just spun around on both sides and I couldn't get it out. (Let me know if you would like me to take a couple of pictures.)

Edited to insert pic. It's amazing how simple and effective this design is:

You have done so much for me! I am very grateful to you!
You described everything in great detail. You explained everything very well!!!

I think that it is not worth further disassembling the knife. Already at this stage it is clear that one of the two screws is not suitable.
(**** it. Backlock knives are not easy to assemble back. It is because of me that there will now be difficulties.)

All for the future. We have now dismantled two knives( At two different ends of the planet. And we keep a diary of what to do next. Like a guy in that movie. Where did he grow potatoes in ****? on Mars or the Moon? No matter. It’s important that he kept a diary and that someone can use it in the future)

We need to agree on the future. to facilitate understanding:
PS1.1 = Pacific Salt first generation with pins
PS1.2 = Pacific Salt first generation with screws

I took apart PS1.1 and found:
The axis of the blade is 3 mm in diameter and is round.
The lock axis is 2.5 mm in diameter and is round.
DougC-3 took apart PS1.2 and found:
The axis of the blade is 4 mm in diameter and is D-type.

Thanks to this, we learned that the screws from PS1.2 are not suitable for PS1.1.
It makes no sense to order screws in Spyderco from PS1.2. They are not suitable for PS1.1.

_______

I have two ways now. Look for screws that might fit. If I can’t find them, then take screws that are close in size and install them. But then it will be necessary to drill the blade and handle. This must be avoided. But I am ready for this. As a last resort. So I found a guy who was already following this path.

This person had a slightly similar problem. Screw in 3mm axis. But he was weak. And this guy replaced him by squandering and installing a 4 mm screw.
https://colibrilab.livejournal.com/32469.html

I had a thought about Pacific Salt first generation. When it's time to put the screws. The 3 mm screws were weak (?), And then slightly changed the design and put the 4 mm screws.

______

In any case, I can put the new screws in the old handle. With or without hole refinement. But also I can put any screws in the new handle. I mean the new one that I can do myself. For example from G10. In this case, it will be possible to modify the handle and blade. It will not be easy but interesting.

Higher

Post by Higher »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:45 pm

(The pivot in the Pac Salt just has one removable screw and the other end is capped off, but, frequently, barrel screws come with removable screws in both ends for attaching scales on fixed blade knives, etc.)

It's a barrel screw set for a knife pivot, hardened stainless steel. It was one of the first things that came up when I googled "small barrel screw." This set is 1/8" x 5/16" (3.2 mm x 7.9mm "barrel") and you could find the right size washers, tighten both sides to adjust the pivot, and use Loktite. Just glancing at their website, it looked like they might not mind small orders. If you can't find such a place near you, I could order some from this place and mail them to you. I went back and checked, and they will sell as little as one item like this. If you choose to use something like this, I'll be glad to check and see if they have the exact size you need. Also, the ends could probably be ground to achieve the right length without damaging the screw threads too much.
It is very important for me. I am very grateful to you for the offer of help. It is very, very valuable. I am glad that there are people like you willing to help.

These guys have a really good choice. And there is plenty to choose from.

The thought came to me: Pacific Salt is made in Japan. Perhaps they used screws with measurements not in inches, but in millimeters.

I need to measure everything well again. After that I will look at what these guys have on sale.

_____

so hard to find small screws :confused:

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Higher wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 am
DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:45 pm

It is very important for me. I am very grateful to you for the offer of help. It is very, very valuable. I am glad that there are people like you willing to help.

These guys have a really good choice. And there is plenty to choose from.

The thought came to me: Pacific Salt is made in Japan. Perhaps they used screws with measurements not in inches, but in millimeters.

I need to measure everything well again. After that I will look at what these guys have on sale.

_____

so hard to find small screws :confused:

You're very welcome! We have to unite the world, one Spyderco at the time!! :D

I hope I've helped a litte. I have to admit that I don't really know what Spyderco's policy is about shipping screws now, since they have dealt with hundreds of different knife models over more than 30 years. A lot has been written about it on the forum, but I haven't had occasion to wade through it, since I've only ordered clips, which come with clip screws, which is the only thing I've needed. A few people sell screws for some models on eBay and Etsy, but I haven't seen any for the Pac Salt.

If you can't find metric sizes for the pivot, I think, for 1/8" (3.2mm) versus 3mm, you might be able to just grind off the 0.2mm with fine SiC sandpaper. (As for metric versus imperial system of measurements, the US had a chance to convert to metric with the rest of the world in the 1980's. President Ronald Reagan appointed a special commission in the White House to set up a plan to switch us over to metric. But after working on it for awhile, they decided it was too difficult and gave up :o I suspect the manufacturers did not want to go to the expense of retooling, but the government could have helped with the expense. Of course our scientists in the hard sciences have been on metric from the beginning.)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

These last posts show the power of this forums.
Respect!
Higher

Post by Higher »

Good day to all. I continue a little.

Swivel barrels are currently found in the following locations:
Usaknifemaker
Knifekits
Ticonnector
Texasknife
Perhaps this information is useful to someone.

Here are the pins diameters in millimeters:
If you take apart PS1.1 you can measure it yourself.

Here is the closest size translation:
2,5 mm = 7/64 (2,778) 3/32 (2,381)
3,0 mm = 1/8 (3,175)

I found a man who makes pivots for victorinox knives.

Decustomforge

These pivots are 2.5 and 3 mm long 11.8 mm. 5 mm deep thread on each side. Inside thread metric M2.

I will have these screws
let's see what happens

Higher

Post by Higher »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 am
Respect!

I am still very impressed by our friend DougC-3. We are surrounded by wonderful people. I appreciate it

sal

Post by sal »

I sure wish Vivi would come back.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 pm

sal
I sure wish so too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Same here. He was one of the top contributors here IMO.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yep.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Hah, I was just thinking of Vivi the other day.
(I was playing FFIX)

I agree, his contributions are missed.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 pm

sal
Indeed!
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

I think the blade shape on the Pacific Salt is my favourite of all the Spyderco offerings. I love the grind, and the way the H1 is italicised, it reminds me of something automotive almost, I love it it’s perfect!
Attachments
D0D46E37-D723-435D-922B-364203380E00.jpeg
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Higher wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 am
tonijedi wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 am
Respect!

I am still very impressed by our friend DougC-3. We are surrounded by wonderful people. I appreciate it
Thanks, Higher, I'll have to try to live up to that. It looks like you have really "done your homework" as we say. I'll be looking forward to learning how it all works out.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

pdixon wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:26 am
I think the blade shape on the Pacific Salt is my favourite of all the Spyderco offerings. I love the grind, and the way the H1 is italicised, it reminds me of something automotive almost, I love it it’s perfect!
I agree. I think it's cool the way the H1 is etched into the steel on both the satin and black blades. The profile pics of the Pac Salt in ads were among the first things that attracted me to Spyderco, and I was amazed by the totally rust proof composition of the blade steel, which is a magican metal with barely enough carbon to be called steel. Although Lance likes to sand down the little curve near the point to give it a perfectly straight, pointy spine :) . I actually considered doing that myself today just for fun, but the little curve is fine with me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’ve been camping at the beach for the last four days, which means lots of time in wet board shorts. i brought other knives along, but the pac salt always rides in my waistband in or out of the water and i have forced myself to use it even when carrying something else. it’s really solidifying to me that a pocket knife intended to be put to work to cut things should be serrated. i can’t think of a situation that calls for a plain edge pocket knife where a serrated edge isn’t as effective or more effective, except maybe for carving wood, but i would consider that a specialized activity with it's own specialized tools rather than a daily pocket knife cutting task.

anyway, i say all that to say again that i really love my pacific salt. it’s such a great cutting tool that i know i can trust to be there and ready to cut in an emergency, whether that be in the water or not.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

I love the SE on PacSalt. I skinned a pineapple and it just shredded the skin like butter.
"stay puft."