Interesting fish

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Interesting fish

Post by James Y »

The beautiful fish caught in Japan in question appears after 6:40. Some people who only saw the photo thought this fish was fake. But no, it’s real, as it’s shown being both caught and released.

https://youtu.be/wOvpyNGhKuA

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Interesting fish

Post by Doc Dan »

Wow! What a colorful fish. I’ve never seen one of those.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thats a beautiful fish, wow! After a couple minutes on the google, I want to say its a Christmas Wrasse or a Rainbow Wrasse.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:20 am
The beautiful fish caught in Japan in question appears after 6:40. Some people who only saw the photo thought this fish was fake. But no, it’s real, as it’s shown being both caught and released.
Hey Jim was it caught in fresh water or salt water? I've seen a lot of tropical fish in my days and some of them have interesting color patterns but I've never seen anything that even comes close to that one you displayed. It seems like a lot of tropical fish are endowed with bright colors. Also keep in mind that in several cases bright colors in nature many times indicate an animal being poisonous or venomous.

Japan also has some fresh water salamanders that are up to 4 to 5 feet in length. I saw an Animal Planet show not long ago about those Japanese salamanders. I would love to go to Japan for a lot of reasons. Over the years I've become a big fan of their high end cutlery.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:39 pm
James Y wrote:
Hey Jim was it caught in fresh water or salt water? I've seen a lot of tropical fish in my days and some of them have interesting color patterns but I've never seen anything that even comes close to that one you displayed. It seems like a lot of tropical fish are endowed with bright colors. Also keep in mind that in several cases bright colors in nature many times indicate an animal being poisonous or venomous.

Japan also has some fresh water salamanders that are up to 4 to 5 feet in length. I saw an Animal Planet show not long ago about those Japanese salamanders. I would love to go to Japan for a lot of reasons. Over the years I've become a big fan of their high end cutlery.
Hi, Joe.

The guy caught it in salt water on Zamami Island, Okinawa.

I was also thinking that its coloring was an indication to predators that it’s poisonous to eat.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:39 pm
James Y wrote:

Hi, Joe.

The guy caught it in salt water on Zamami Island, Okinawa.

I was also thinking that its coloring was an indication to predators that it’s poisonous to eat.
I wish all of you could see that Animal Planet show on those Japanese Salamanders. Also the Animal Planet show of days past that was called River Monsters with Jeremy Wade had a show on those big salamanders of Japan. I heard that some of those live over 100 years or so.

Also over on the east coast of Japan a few years back they were having creatures from the deepest part of the ocean coming into their shallow areas. IT was a strange anomaly that few scientists had any idea about. Again Japan is a very interesting part of the globe ( politics aside :rolleyes: ).
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yes, I’ve seen footage of those giant salamanders in Japan. Cool stuff, and hopefully they’ll be left alone to thrive.

I heard somewhere that the Japan earthquake and tsunami off Fukushima in 2011 caused some sea creatures that normally inhabit very deep water to come into shallow areas, or maybe even wash up on beaches.

Jim
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Wonder how it tastes battered and deep fried??
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi Jim,

I’m pretty sure it’s a Thalassoma Purpureum, one of our many vividly coloured reef fish. :)

Not sure what the Nipponese are doing catching our fish? Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm
As I understand it they're basically a Wrasse, Jim. So they'd eat up pretty good I reckon but we're spoiled for quality table fish here and generally speaking we'd consider Wrasse bicatch and put them back unharmed. :)

Old mate dragged it up on the rocks, used a lip grab on it and held it up vertically. I doubt the poor bugger would have survived the ordeal.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

A nice Uhu.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 pm
Also the Animal Planet show of days past that was called River Monsters with Jeremy Wade had a show on those big salamanders of Japan.
Great series, Joe! I don’t watch much TV but I watched the entire series and the repeat some time later.

Jeremy Wade is a very determined fisherman to say the least. I’d love to fish with him. :)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 am
Thats a beautiful fish, wow! After a couple minutes on the google, I want to say its a Christmas Wrasse or a Rainbow Wrasse.
I think you are right, Mushroom.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 pm
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm
As I understand it they're basically a Wrasse, Jim. So they'd eat up pretty good I reckon but we're spoiled for quality table fish here and generally speaking we'd consider Wrasse bicatch and put them back unharmed. :)

Old mate dragged it up on the rocks, used a lip grab on it and held it up vertically. I doubt the poor bugger would have survived the ordeal.
Hi, Bloke!

Cool. I’d always thought that especially bright, gaudy coloring on an animal was nature’s warning to predators that it was toxic to eat, and to steer clear.

It looked to me like the fish survived. When the guy released it, it appeared to turn and swim away pretty vigorously.

Since Okinawa is considered subtropical, it probably supports many of the same types of fish found in Australia. Even though it’s part of Japan, Okinawa is geographically closer to Taiwan than to the main Japanese islands. My family name is most commonly found in the Ryukyu Islands (of which Okinawa is the largest) and southwestern Japan (where many Ryukyuans migrated to for work), so I could have some roots in that area.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:04 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 pm
Also the Animal Planet show of days past that was called River Monsters with Jeremy Wade had a show on those big salamanders of Japan.
Great series, Joe! I don’t watch much TV but I watched the entire series and the repeat some time later.

Jeremy Wade is a very determined fisherman to say the least. I’d love to fish with him. :)
Hey Bloke did you see that episode of River Monsters when he went way up the Fitzroy River in your home country of Australia? That was one of my favorite episodes. Also when he was at Bagnell Dam here at the Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri USA which is about a 3 hour drive from where I live at. Those both were great episodes.

I can't believe that a fish with those nuclear colors would be fit to eat. Because I've been told by so many over the years that colors like that indicate that the animal is either poisonous or venomous.

I saw a show on Animal Planet about the Great Barrier Reef there in your country and I couldn't believe the huge variety of fish and marine life there on that reef. But dude you've just got to do something about all those Salt Water Crocs you guys have. There are just too many of them from what I've been told. I don't know how your fellow countryman Steve Irwin could deal with those monsters :eek: Not to mention all those extremely dangerous snakes you guys have. :eek: But Bloke I bet you've got a pet Taipan :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/WT9ohDjcXns

Jim
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Those look just like my grandfather's Dentures he lost over the side of boat a few years back...
James Y

Post by James Y »

kiwisailor wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Those look just like my grandfather's Dentures he lost over the side of boat a few years back...
:D

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

This made the news recently, but it’s obvious that the carp doesn’t really have a human face. The “human eyes” are actually the fish’s nostrils, and the rest are unique natural markings. You can easily see its eyes on the sides of its head. Interesting, but nothing weird about it.

https://youtu.be/2ZWEokX0ul0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Blobfish only have that weird, cartoonish appearance when they are brought up from the deep:

https://youtu.be/MobCeLyiM1Q

It reminds me of old cartoon representations of Jimmy Durante:

https://youtu.be/Gpy4VM-qH5s

:)

Jim