The Ladybug is a full size knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DSH007

Re: The Ladybug is a full size knife

Post by DSH007 »

Agree! When a fob is attached haha! My preference is the Manbug because it is slightly wider and I do feel like it fits my hand a little bit better, but the Ladybug is still perfectly serviceable.. It's amazing how useful small knives can actually be! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The grooves make a sak 58mm more comfortable for me, but totally usable with a fob
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:48 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:53 pm
:D
Same! Although it's definitely more comfy with three fingers. :p

SG, it's really nice that you and I have similarly sized hands! It's always good to hear your impressions on ergos, fit, etc., knowing they'll probably be close to my own.
#smallhandsclub
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Nate wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:18 pm
A new Jester would rock. I think that's the blade shape i'd favor on a bug handle. :cool:

^Everyone listen to Enactive.

Was fortunate enough to track down a sprint g10 Jester earlier this year and it's a brilliant little knife. Really hope Spyderco brings out more Jester variants in the future.
^Everyone listen to Crocodile Dundee. :D
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I got a K390 Ladybug for myself, and a Salt series, and a standard model for two co-workers. I put mine on my key-chain and I really like it. It's small enough I don't notice it in the pocket, and it can be held like a pencil or an X-acto knife to do delicate work.

I'm waiting for the Manbug in K390 to come out. I might swap it back and forth with the Ladybug and attach a lanyard for pocket carry.

Three fingers for me. (The same way I hold my tea. :D )
Attachments
27A318C7-4BF6-4D26-8C4C-B9A67789A881.jpeg
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have the Hawkbill. It has enough grip, and as said repeatedly before, it is amazing how much cutting you can really do with such a small knife.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So what's the ideal steel for a ladybug, practicality wise? I'd love the idea of k390 or zdp, but it sits at the bottom of a pocket where it could get damp in the summer, and it doesn't really jive with the often carried, rarely used nature of the ladybug - vg10 I guess? Or h1? But then you give up ffg
SG89

Post by SG89 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm
So what's the ideal steel for a ladybug, practicality wise? I'd love the idea of k390 or zdp, but it sits at the bottom of a pocket where it could get damp in the summer, and it doesn't really jive with the often carried, rarely used nature of the ladybug - vg10 I guess? Or h1? But then you give up ffg
Cutlery shoppe had an exclusive Ladybug that was FFG VG10 with pink FRN. IMO that was the ideal Ladybug. I wish Spyderco would make a FFG Ladybug in S90V with GITD handles
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
James Y

Post by James Y »

In the not-so-distant past, the most commonly-carried pocketknives carried and used by a lot of men were about the same size as, or not much bigger than, a Spyderco Ladybug. And those men tended to carry and use only the one knife. Knives like tiny 2-blade pen knives, “peanuts,” etc. Even nowadays, the most common pocketknife the world over is the Victorinox Classic, carried by many non-knife people. Compared to some of those knives, the Ladybug’s blade seems fairly large, even if not longer.

Jim
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Yes it IS a full size knife- to the Geico Gecko.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It’s a 3-finger knife for me, much to my surprise. Quite controllable and useful. I wear it on a lanyard that has a quick disconnect clip. Mine’s in K390, which is not for the front of heart to sharpen. I think I’d like a salt version. SE or hawkbill SE?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Ran across this this morning. I want to do this to my Manbug and call it a Bumblebee

https://youtu.be/fSAXXjDxUgo
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Deep carry

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well... I don´t think it would be for MY hand... ;)

Even the Chap FRN is more of a three finger knife for me, when gripped behind the choil...(and I have bigger, but certainly not huge hands)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:50 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm
Cutlery shoppe had an exclusive Ladybug that was FFG VG10 with pink FRN. IMO that was the ideal Ladybug. I wish Spyderco would make a FFG Ladybug in S90V with GITD handles

+1 on the pink Ladybug. I bought one for my wife that she still carries on her keys. Sadly they were sold out by the time I realized I should have picked up one for myself as well.

One other alternative that hardly gets any press is the fantastic Byrd Starling 2. It uses the Ladybug scale pattern in black g10, ffg bd1 blade, and carries Sal's designer mark. Plus, on a knife this small the comet shaped hole makes it easier for me to deploy the blade. I also like the little bit of extra heft on this one vs. the lw bugs I carry on me keys, similar to my g10 Jester in that regard.
:spyder:
JT

Post by JT »

I have a bunch of them in different variations, in different places but LBK SE Hawkbill is on my car keys, always. With the keys I get a full grip. Handy little claw for edc opening tasks, and useful as a seat belt cutter too, if needed.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DougC-3 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 am
Deep carry

Nice! Is that clip from a dragonfly? And the same screw works through the lanyard hole?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:35 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 am
Deep carry

Nice! Is that clip from a dragonfly? And the same screw works through the lanyard hole?
Thanks! Yes & Yes. The longitudinal lines on the scales are spaced just right for the wires under the screw. I used the thin edge of a needle file to file out the line grooves, using the lines as a guide, to recess the wire ends under the screw and hold the clip steady. I've never had any problem with clip movement. Unfortunately, the long lines are closer together with a Ladybug, so it would be a little harder to file the grooves in just the right place, but I'm pretty sure you could do it. Also you could scoot the clip more forward, since deep carry is not usually really needed with a Ladybug ;)
...Looking back at the pictures, I see that there's not quite as much handle above the hole on the Ladybug, but I think there's enough to support the wire under the screwhead.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I gotta get you guys a picture of one in my hands next time I'm in a knife shop :D
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

It’s a 2 finger knife for me
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006