Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mayong

Re: Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Post by mayong »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:56 pm
That’s excellent news sal, all if it. I hope it (CPK) gets a release someday.
You said it, excellent news. Very excited for something like this!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Get me a large (or biggish) spydie slippy with a strong backspring and not FRN and not a sprint and I'm so down. Would still likely buy an frn but enthusiasm would be lower.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've been carrying just a Roadie for the past week or so to force myself to use it for everything. It's a very capable little knife.

I'd love to see a larger version (just under 3") as a travel knife. The 50/50 choil on the roadie is super useful, and I think with a larger version it would be even more so. In terms of ergonomics (ok, I realize this sounds like a broken record) Spyderco is hands down better than the other manufacturers. I'm back to my Fox Livri today (https://www.foxcutlery.com/n/en/product/2146/livri.html) and when comparing them and my other modern slip joints (leaving out the UKPK and Urban), I really think there is room in my pocket for a larger Roadie. The Livri is my standard for comparison because it's definitely the regular winner for my watch pocket (over a Benchmade Proper, a Viper Key, a Lionsteel Bestman, a Viper EZ-Open and a Viper Swayback). I think that's partly because the Livri has the best ergonomics of "the rest" (non Spyderco). I'm not really comparing the UKPK and Urban because my carry mod is clipless and in my watch pocket.

Comparing the Livri and the Roadie (which are not quite in the same price range--Livri is about 30% more, but both are under $75).

Roadie wins on ergonomics. The choil is a huge upgrade.
Livri wins on jewelry factor. Beautiful zizicote scales beat FRN, and I don't need the high visibility or any more grip than the wood provides.
Livri wins on F&F. I'm actually surprised that the Roadie does so well here. It's got great fit and finish for a mass market knife.
Livri wins on blade steel (M390 for the Livri, N690 for the Roadie).

Basically, I'd love to see a Roadie upscaled to a 2.99" blade, with fancy scales of some kind and M390 or s110v.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Police Lightweight Slip-It anybody? :D
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well, since you asked, I'd rather have a PM2 slipjoint.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’d still like this, though looking at it now, it needs Sal’s choil magic.

And off topic, but I’d still like a 52100 UKPK with tan handles.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:45 pm
I'd definitely buy that. And I'd also prefer the choil.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:45 pm

And off topic, but I’d still like a 52100 UKPK with tan handles.
I like the more neutral Roadie handle better, otherwise pretty cool.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A larger Roadie with slightly thinner blade stock would be great. I love the current Roadie handle shape and how because the blade does not reach the end of the handle it can be opened with one hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

That was a nice looking knife, the prototype with black scales and rounded over edges. It would be nice to have a lanyard hole though, I'm not sure any current slip joints have one.
---------
Tony S
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Giving this thread a bump since I saw Sal mention he’s got a red CPK on the edge matters forum.

Any new details Sal? Think this will end up as an actual release?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

I've got a 3.5" UK (CPK - Canadian Pen knife ) that will probably go into production and I've got drawing for a larger Roadie.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Caly 3.5 slipjoint lol hope it's not much heavier than the ukpk
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That’s very exciting Sal! I won’t bug you about release dates, steel, pocket clip, etc.

I’ll just wait impatiently over here in British Columbia...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Synchronicity? Using my UKPK today and started wondering how a longer blade would work in this platform. I’m in.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

We are waiting excitedly but impatiently for these two knives.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I am a long-time fan and user of Great Eastern Cutlery‘s traditional slip joints. By and large they derive from designs prior to the advent of stainless steel. Different scales, micarta, wood, bone, acrylics. All of their traditional folders are made with blades of 1095 carbon steel which I find to be more satisfactory for a pocket knife. Same kind of steel my dad and grandfather used in their pocket knives.

All of my Great Eastern Cutlery knives have at least two blades for different purposes. I have no interest and a Spyderco slip joint.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I grew up using nail-breaker ex-army jacknives and an ancient bone handled, black bladed pocket knife from my grandfathers shed, sharpened to a wavey slither. Victorinox/Wenger were waaay too pricey for kids, except for those dreadful knock-offs which put me off SAK’s for years.

The fantastic steels and ergo’s of the Spyderco slip-joints continue to impress me!

Thank goodness we’re all different, eh?
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm
Hi Cobra,

I've got a 3.5" UK (CPK - Canadian Pen knife ) that will probably go into production and I've got drawing for a larger Roadie.

sal
I'm super excited about the 3.5 CPK. I absolutely love my FRN UKPK. Do you think this will be produced with an FRN handle or G-10 like the older or HH UKPKs? I'm happy with either but I think I'd slightly prefer the FRN. Thanks!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:57 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm
Hi Cobra,

sal
I'm super excited about the 3.5 CPK. I absolutely love my FRN UKPK. Do you think this will be produced with an FRN handle or G-10 like the older or HH UKPKs? I'm happy with either but I think I'd slightly prefer the FRN. Thanks!

Personally, I’m really hoping for G10. In my mind this knife will basically be a Caly 3.5 without a lock made in Golden. The Caly 3.5 is still one of my favourites. I think I remember reading that an FRN Caly 3.5 is in the works as well.

@liquid_cobra