Chapparal LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RocketJ

Chapparal LW

Post by RocketJ »

I finally pulled the trigger on a Chap. LW and received it this afternoon. I already have the carbon fiber version, but just considered it too nice for everyday use. I didnt think anything could replace my Dragonfly for all around perfection for day to day use, but this FRN Chap. is very, very nice. Feels great in the hand, perfect fit and finish, and is similar to the D’fly in that it is a great deal more knife than it appears. I should have done it sooner..... can’t wait to carry and use it some. Well done, Spyderco, for another gorgeous and well engineered knife!
John
Wartstein

Re: Chapparal LW

Post by Wartstein »

Congrats! :)

The Chap LW for me personally is certainly one of the greatest among Sals great designs, the best small folder out there and also one of the best "bang for the buck"-knives Spyderco offers.

And nothing against the DFly (it is pretty cool too), but imho the Chap is better in almost any aspect: Not much longer in closed size (3.6 vs 3.31), but offering a lot more blade and cutting edge relatively speaking (blade. 2.8 vs 2.25)
Furthermore, the Chap is even slimmer in pocket and has a thinner (almost uniquely thin, even in Spydercos lineup), more slicey blade and XHP is really good stuff imho.
Add one of the best backlocks I have ever experienced (featuring internal stop pin) and the great ergos (I prefer them over the Native 5´s, which has about the same amount of cutting edge) and you have a hard to beat package.

I always say: If I could only own TWO folders, the Chap would never be my first, but always be my second choice alongside with a large, at best serrated main EDC folder.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Chap might actually be my first. Especially if I lived somewhere that I couldn't carry a longer blade.

It's a great knife. I carry my CF one quite often--it's probably my second most carried Spyderco after the Manix 2.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

The lw chaparral has become one of my most carried. It is lighter than the cf chap, and is basically same price as a zdp dragonfly. Longer blade, and actually more slicey, if that is a term. The thin blade just slices so well, and the knife fits so slim in the pocket. I prefer to carry it without the clip, same for dragonfly.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is undoubtedly the best gentleman/gentlewoman's folder every made. It is a great knife design. I am waiting on new colors of scales.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I am actually carrying my chap LW as I write this. It is definitely one of my favorite everyday use Spyderco knives. I've had mine a while (liked a couple of years) and the one downside is that the clip grooves aren't deep enough. My clip has shifted slightly and damaged the scale. I've been thinking about taking my Dremel to it too deepen the grooves. But I think that issue has actually been fixed in CQI so that's probably not an issue in OP's recent version. Props on buying an amazing knife! You'll definitely love it!!
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Definitely a standout compact and ergonomic knife. Possibly my favourite in house design.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Nate

Post by Nate »

I know the Dragonfly is an outstanding knife for a lot people, but it never clicked for me. Maybe because the Chaparral (cf, then frn) and the Urban found their way into my rotation first.
:spyder:
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

Thanks all, for all the replies. I’m liking the Chap LW more and more look forward to many good years of service from it. I tend to favor smaller knives....my Delica is the largest I have. The Dragonfly just always fit my requirements to a T and I love the shape and ergonomics. BUT, I think the Chap will tick all the boxes as well!
John
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

RocketJ wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 am
Thanks all, for all the replies. I’m liking the Chap LW more and more look forward to many good years of service from it. I tend to favor smaller knives....my Delica is the largest I have. The Dragonfly just always fit my requirements to a T and I love the shape and ergonomics. BUT, I think the Chap will tick all the boxes as well!
If you're into smaller knives, maybe take a look at the Urban or UKPK if no lock doesn't bother you. They both, especially the UKPK have incredible ergonomics. UKPK is very similar in size to your Delica, but much more comfortable in hand (a lot of folks seem to think, me included)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 am
RocketJ wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 am
If you're into smaller knives, maybe take a look at the Urban or UKPK if no lock doesn't bother you. They both, especially the UKPK have incredible ergonomics. UKPK is very similar in size to your Delica, but much more comfortable in hand (a lot of folks seem to think, me included)
I agree with this sentiment completely!! UKPK is one of my favorites. It actually competes with the chap LW for pocket time despite the lack of a lock. I strongly encourage you to grab one. Also, if you prefer a lock, the Caly3 is basically a UKPK with a lock (or the UKPK is a caly3 without a lock, I guess). The Caly 3 isn't in production right now but you can find them from time to time. I personally think the UKPK and caly3 are much more comfortable to use than the Delica.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

It’s one of the best for sure.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Congrats! I'll have to get myself one some day

This thread needs pics!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
foofie

Post by foofie »

I have only one complaint about the Chap - it is a platform for handle/scales (yay!), but not knife steels (wah). The last one I owned was an early s30v version. Maybe it is time to reconsider.
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

Again, thanks for the tips and suggestions. I briefly had a UKPK and liked it, but my older brother liked it so much I gave it to him. Might be time for another soon. Regarding the steel, the XHP seems to be a good compromise between the entry level steels and the real high ticket ones. A Chap with one of the exotics would likely be a winner, though. Personally, I’ve never owned a Spyderco that disappointed me.....everyone’s favorites come down to individual tastes and needs. Stay safe, folks!
John
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

The chap is actually one of my least favs in my collection. I have come to dislike the wire clip immensely to the point of contemplating of removing the clip altogether or just end up selling it and my lil native serrated( It has the wire clip I hate)...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:42 am
The chap is actually one of my least favs in my collection. I have come to dislike the wire clip immensely to the point of contemplating of removing the clip altogether or just end up selling it and my lil native serrated( It has the wire clip I hate)...

Just out of interest:How'd you like the Chap if It had a regular (non wire) clip?
I am not the biggest wire clip fan either, but on the Chap it's just fine for me (but a spoon clip would be fine as well)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

It all depends on model...I love my DFLY
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Chaparral LW is one the best urban EDC knives. Like, I am fairly comfortable using this knife in front of other people and I know that they are not going to get scared as easily as with Manix or Native Chief.
However....only mediocre aspect of this IMO perfect knife is the wire clip. I was thinking about buying aftermarket titanium pocket clip.....but the shipping and taxes getting it into Europe would be really high. I know people love wire clip, but I just like it ok. It's fine on this knife....only if the clip would sit right against the scale without gap!! I tried bending it for numerous times and it still came back to having a gap..!!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:42 am
Try it without the clip. I remove the clip on any chap, lil native, dragonfly, that I carry. I know some folks just love a clip, but the chaparral size knives really shine as a clip-less pocket carry knife IMO. The slim profile, light weight, blade length and slim slicey blade width truly make the chaparral an optimal choice. A clip just gets in the way.

There could be other options for clips, if one just has to have one. Folks are changing clips on many many other models. The chaparral is an incredible knife, with or without a clip.