What makes a metal a metal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What makes a metal a metal

Post by Doc Dan »

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-phd-stude ... books.html

This is an interesting experiment to determine exactly what makes a metal, metal. This is interesting to those who are interested in knife steels, like many Spyderco nuts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Re: What makes a metal a metal

Post by attila »

Thanks for that fascinating read!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I thought it was duel lead guitars, long hair, and head banging?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 am
I thought it was duel lead guitars, long hair, and head banging?
A mullet?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder what Larrin has to say?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

That's interesting. I was a little surprised that they said "only metals are able to conduct electricity." If they meant that literally, I guess that means that distilled water, people, etc, have enough metal ions in solution to qualify :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I didn’t understand from this article what they were trying to do exactly. Defining what a metal is Is fuzzy because of all the different definitions used, most elements on the periodic table are in fact metals but there are lots of fuzzy boundaries. A journal article would probably make more sense. The whole angle on discovering what a metal is might just be a spin to give broader appeal to a pretty specific experiment.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:19 am
I was a little surprised that they said "only metals are able to conduct electricity." If they meant that literally, I guess that means that distilled water, people, etc, have enough metal ions in solution to qualify :D
I am by no means knowledgable on the atomic structure of metals... but then again... nobody is. That's why this avenue of inquiry has the potential to be so revolutionary.

But the reason I'm typing is because your basic premise is flawed. Distilled water is a pretty awful conductor of electricity. It's pretty easy to prove via experiment using household stuff.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 am
I didn’t understand from this article what they were trying to do exactly. Defining what a metal is Is fuzzy because of all the different definitions used, most elements on the periodic table are in fact metals but there are lots of fuzzy boundaries. A journal article would probably make more sense. The whole angle on discovering what a metal is might just be a spin to give broader appeal to a pretty specific experiment.
I think the article is not written well enough. I am intrigued by the science of determining exactly what a metal is. This was a topic when I took chemistry so many years ago.

It would be interesting to look at the actual experiment.

What is your take on this? What defines "metal"?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I honestly don’t remember spending much time on defining what a metal is in materials or metallurgy courses. Maybe it is a question more chemists or physicists spend time on.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

What I want to know is how they make those shiny things you put around a Hot Pocket to make ‘em crispy without using metal.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:57 pm
What I want to know is how they make those shiny things you put around a Hot Pocket to make ‘em crispy without using metal.
It's magic. That's the only explanation. The hot pocket guys must have wizards on staff.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

dj moonbat wrote:
I think "crispy" may be a bit of an exaggeration.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

dj moonbat wrote:
:D Vacuum deposition aluminum on a food safe PP laminate applied to a heavy paper backing.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:37 am
when I took chemistry
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:34 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
when I took chemistry
😂

Jim
cali

Post by cali »

IMO a much better explanation of the experiment:

https://youtu.be/Mv_enhLIea8

It is all about forming band structure in metals, not about determining what a metal is. Can't relate in to knives though.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:34 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
when I took chemistry
Hahahaha! One of my profs blew up the lab with a super strong base.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Doc Dan wrote:
I am intrigued by the science of determining exactly what a metal is. This was a topic when I took chemistry so many years ago.
It's important to remember that a technical definition like "metal" is fairly arbitrary. The topic for discussion is not really "what is metal?" but rather "in what way is 'metal' actually a useful category to talk about?"

"Science" (verifiable human knowledge, or the process or enterprise of growing that knowledge) cannot teach you the definitions of "metal." Experiments can help you learn about properties, and help you find ways some materials are more or less alike, but to decide what gets called "metal" you need to get scientists to agree on a useful definition that they will actually use.

If this student is trying to find out more about solvating electrons in exotic compounds, good for him, but it can't really change the definition of metal unless the findings allow for an entirely new way of looking at elements that replaces all the old definitions.

Imagine someone said "I'm going to use science to prove that a drop point blade is actually a clip point." Those names are not scientific facts. Science can't tell us what to call a knife. You could make a good argument based on scientific comparison, but that doesn't dictate definitions we use all by itself, the definition also has to work well for the people who will use it.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 am
The whole angle on discovering what a metal is might just be a spin to give broader appeal to a pretty specific experiment.
A spin to get a piece of that juicy government grant money funneled to the school, which funded this study.