Province users' opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Province users' opinions

Post by bearfacedkiller »

MichalZalewski wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 am
Well guys

Very disappointed and confused.

As Mr Ankerson said himself, Province was designed to be used.

I did some very light chopping on a birch log and after few chops inspected the knife which now has 7 noticable rolls in the area of 1 to 1,5 of the blade that actually connected with the wood.

I really dont know what to think at the moment😕
If it is the factory edge then sharpen it out and see if it happens again. If it continues contact Spyderco. It should be able to chop without issues.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

MichalZalewski wrote:
Well guys

I did some very light chopping on a birch log and after few chops inspected the knife which now has 7 noticable rolls in the area of 1 to 1,5 of the blade that actually connected with the wood.

I've found making final judgements based on the factory edge is usually a bad idea.
Sharpen it up and continue on. In my experience it will get better with a few sharpenings, sometimes much much better.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichalZalewski wrote:
Well guys

Hi Michal, was the wood you were chopping clean, as in free of dirt, small rocks in cracks etc.? Did the edge hit similar debris after chopping through the Birch?

My Province with factory edge showed zero damage after chopping through dry, deadfall Ghost Gum which I believe is way harder than Birch. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michal,

Actually, you are the only complaint we've heard on that model. Probably a good idea to send it to us. Where are you?

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

In another thread someone else got some small edge damage after chopping through chicken bones, if I am remembering right.

How bad are these rolls from the wood? A pic would help.

I battoned mine through some pine after I got it and it lost some sharpness, but it was not damaged.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:39 pm
In another thread someone else got some small edge damage after chopping through chicken bones, if I am remembering right.

How bad are these rolls from the wood? A pic would help.

I battoned mine through some pine after I got it and it lost some sharpness, but it was not damaged.
Hey Voodoo, you're right. I did incur some fairly minor chipping after chopping through a large chicken wing bone. However, and I can't be certain but I feel the chipping occured because I didn't use enough force to cleave through the bone in one hit and I had another chop into fragmented bone. I can't help but think, had I used enough force to cleave the bone in one hit the blade wouldn't have chipped,, but like I said I don't rightly know.

I do know bone is much harder than Birch. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:48 am
It's possible, but I think it was me throwing it down to be cool and impress the wife and probably hit a rock a few inches down in the soil :cool:

She wasn't looking :(

Could have been from batoning through the wood with the dead blow hammer...
:D

I love this knife but I have another use for it(self defense). I'm getting a second one while the gettin is good!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:12 pm
Hi Michal,

Actually, you are the only complaint we've heard on that model. Probably a good idea to send it to us. Where are you?

sal
Hi Sal

I am based in the Uk.

How can we arrange it

Regards

Michal
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:43 pm

I love this knife but I have another use for it(self defense). I'm getting a second one while the gettin is good!
I'd run the other way :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

MichalZalewski wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:20 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Michal,

sal
Hi Sal

I am based in the Uk.

How can we arrange it

Regards

Michal
Email your email address and physical address.

sglesser@spyderco.com
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:44 am
Naperville wrote:

It's for the home....nowhere to run!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:23 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:44 am
Naperville wrote:

It's for the home....nowhere to run!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:35 am
MichalZalewski wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:20 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Michal,

sal
Hi Sal

I am based in the Uk.

How can we arrange it

Regards

Michal
Email your email address and physical address.

sglesser@spyderco.com
Hi Sal

Email sent

Thank you

Regards
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

My experience is much like other’s here:
- Sharper than anything else I’ve ever had out of the box - maybe the Stretch Vtoku was close, but the Province - zowie.
- Handle is very comfy, good for swinging at branches and honing in on smaller stuff.
- Handle is maybe a little slick, but actually gets better with a bit of moisture, gloves.
- size and blade geo makes this thing cut for days - outstanding performer in the real world, and it’s so darn pretty.
- can’t comment too much about characteristics of 4v yet, other than the hype is probably true. It holds edge and polish better than any of my plain steel (1075/1095/80CvR2) blades. I live in a rainforest, rust hasn’t been a concern with a wipe and oil after wet use.

In short, if you have any mind to put some coin down on an upper echelon Fixed blade, this is “the one” - couldn’t recommend it more.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

At this point I’m not qualified to give feedback as a user, but initial impressions just out of the box are...WOW!! The fit and finish looks and feels flawless, the edge is hair popping, the polished boxy looking grip feels better than it should based on appearance and the Boltaron sheath is the best I’ve gotten with any Spydie (they’re normally ridiculously tight.) This is definitely a keeper and surely a candidate for snagging a backup/display piece.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:40 pm
At this point I’m not qualified to give feedback as a user, but initial impressions just out of the box are...WOW!! The fit and finish looks and feels flawless, the edge is hair popping, the polished boxy looking grip feels better than it should based on appearance and the Boltaron sheath is the best I’ve gotten with any Spydie (they’re normally ridiculously tight.) This is definitely a keeper and surely a candidate for snagging a backup/display piece.
That reminds me I need to purchase the boltaron for mine as well. Grab it when the SPY27 mules are ready to ship.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

thanx Michal,

Charlynn is making arrangements to pick it it up in the UK.

sal
kgasp

Post by kgasp »

After this I took my province (not factory edge I have sharpened once on worksharp I think about 17 deg per side) and split (batoned) some year old birch fire wood into kindling. Also chopped some fresh sapling that needed clearing out. 15min work not a long session. After the edge had a very small “something” that caught my finger nail. Could have been dirt on the firewood?! So small I had a hard time seeing it. So two very very light swipes per side with fällkniven ceramic rod at it was gone. The knive is very sharp and held up great. Very happy 😃
kgasp

Post by kgasp »

A question: printed on my blade is 066. Is this a early run or...?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

kgasp wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:25 am
A question: printed on my blade is 066. Is this a early run or...?
It's probably a collectors club number. Each member of the collectors club commits to buying every knife, and Spyderco reserves one of each knife for them. Many of the members re-sell the knives they don't want secondhand (often before the knives hit the general market).