Blade HQ copper rex45 pm2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Blade HQ copper rex45 pm2

Post by steelcity16 »

Yeah, not for me either. Doubt we will see many of these in the "What did you use your Spyderco for today?" threads! Seems more like a collector's piece safe queen type knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 am
I don't get the copper love. I'm an electrician, I work with copper all the time. It's a stinky metal. It's heavy. It can be really nasty when it tarnishes. It's very soft. What is the allure of copper knives?

Brass is fine, I love my buck 110s. But copper just baffles me. It's only good for wiring and making me money... Lol. But to each their own. I'd rather have a liner less carbon fiber or G10 pm2... That would be cool!
That's because you use knives. People buy these to show off next to their other expensive brass and copper toys.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:07 am
That's because you use knives. People buy these to show off next to their other expensive brass and copper toys.
True, I laugh at seeing all these super expensive knives and other "edc gear" on $25 handkerchiefs and none of it is used. I did a spoof photo once, with a paper towel folded up with my 0456cf on it. It got a few laughs... :D
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

It's antimicrobial. That fits in with the current state of the world.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Sorry, just thinking out loud... 1 real copper penny= about .1oz. About 6oz of copper handle= about 60 pennies. 60¢ handles. $65 price increase over their last PM2 in Rex45.
I blame the copper... It's the only normal handle material that is also used in a US currency so the comparison in my head was inevitable.
I'll probably still but one though.
•• Beau
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:38 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:07 am
True, I laugh at seeing all these super expensive knives and other "edc gear" on $25 handkerchiefs and none of it is used. I did a spoof photo once, with a paper towel folded up with my 0456cf on it. It got a few laughs... :D
What a hoot! I hear you on the copper smell. I try to wear gloves when prepping copper water pipe for soldering because the copper and the flux both lead to smelly hands. The main reasons I don’t carry metal handled knives are weight and the need for traction. Knurled titanium could overcome both objections, but G-10 and FRN have so many advantages, so I choose them.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:30 am
Sorry, just thinking out loud... 1 real copper penny= about .1oz. About 6oz of copper handle= about 60 pennies. 60¢ handles. $65 price increase over their last PM2 in Rex45.
I blame the copper... It's the only normal handle material that is also used in a US currency so the comparison in my head was inevitable.
I’m not a money collecting nerd (I prefer to collect digital currency :D), but given that current pennies are only ~2.5% actual copper, would the value of a solid copper penny be worth more than one cent? Perhaps the sixty cent estimate is low?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Machining them is the bulk of the actual cost not material cost for copper in terms of final price
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Rinzler wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 am
Buddafucco wrote:
I’m not a money collecting nerd (I prefer to collect digital currency :D), but given that current pennies are only ~2.5% actual copper, would the value of a solid copper penny be worth more than one cent? Perhaps the sixty cent estimate is low?
Ok, maybe 75 zinc pennies. :p
•• Beau
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:32 am
What a hoot! I hear you on the copper smell. I try to wear gloves when prepping copper water pipe for soldering because the copper and the flux both lead to smelly hands. The main reasons I don’t carry metal handled knives are weight and the need for traction. Knurled titanium could overcome both objections, but G-10 and FRN have so many advantages, so I choose them.
I have a pile of scrap copper wire here at the house. Maybe I should melt it down and sell it as raw material for knife handles? :D seriously though, I use gloves as well. That smell is hard to get off. It's like onions.

I do love G10, but titanium is pretty nice. Carbon fiber is my favorite, but I do enjoy aluminum as well. I could go for an aluminum pm2... I think that would be nice and light and pretty strong. But I understand many people don't like aluminum handles, so it might not be very popular.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I tried the Flytanium Ti scales on my PM2 and immediately knew the weight killed it for me. I'm definitely out on this one, but am stoked to see them doing a liner delete with internal milling. This is one step closer to two PM2s I dream of, FRN and integral Ti. Always glad to see more REX45 as well.

Please wake me up when the PM2 FRN with wire clip drops :)
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:58 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:32 am
I have a pile of scrap copper wire here at the house. Maybe I should melt it down and sell it as raw material for knife handles? :D seriously though, I use gloves as well. That smell is hard to get off. It's like onions.

I do love G10, but titanium is pretty nice. Carbon fiber is my favorite, but I do enjoy aluminum as well. I could go for an aluminum pm2... I think that would be nice and light and pretty strong. But I understand many people don't like aluminum handles, so it might not be very popular.
Forged 7075 is great. It is about as strong as steel, but lighter. Unfortunately most aluminum handles or scales I have seen are 6061 because they are easier to machine due to being softer. Also they are slick. Put some texture on there please! I have seen some really cool custom jobs where people have milled out their own textures.
Last edited by Trinity300 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Would be verrrry interested in a titanium linerless shaman....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Here's my copper k390 para3:

--Jeremy
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Buddafucco wrote:
The US one cent coin hasn't been made out of copper since 1982. That was around the point where the weight of copper in the coin was worth more than the face value of the coin.

Current one cent coins are made mostly of zinc, with a copper plating.

edit. Oooops. I see that someone beat me to that.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:13 pm
Wow, I must be the one odd ball...I have no interest in this knife based on model, materials and weight!
I’m afraid I have to agree, the mass alone would cause a gravitational singularity in one’s pocket, and then there’s the smell of oxidation, the dents it will put in any table you drop it on... But hey, as with anything Spyderco produces, if people like it and it sells well, good!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I'm another that is 'odd man out' on the whole brass/copper/bronze scale thing. I'm pretty sure this will be another passing fad as people that actually use and carry their knives will eventually discover copper is less than an ideal scale material. Right now there are all those cool ways of making a patina and showing off on instagram or where-ever that seems to be more important to many than carrying the best knife possible. Right now it's something new and different....how many high end fidget spinners are still being sold?

This might be one of those knives that becomes collectible in the future, I doubt this fad will continue too long. I'm tempted to buy one and throw it in the safety deposit box for a decade or two.

That said I have a great affinity for titanium handled knives. I have always heard people that don't like titanium complain that it is too cold, I have always felt that this was an armchair reaction by someone who has never used a titanium handled knife. Titanium is one of the lower heat conductive metals, albeit it is more heat conductive than FRN or G10. (Heat conductivity is what makes a metal seem cold, how fast it conducts heat out of your hand.) Copper is one of the more heat conductive metals. If titanium is too cold for you, copper will be worse, much worse.

Titanium is stronger and less likely to scratch than copper.

Titanium is lighter (less dense) than copper.

Titanium is about as inert as metals come, that's why they use it for implants. Copper is very reactive, which is how it kills germs, but that also means it can be smelly and subject to corrosion. The fans of copper call the corrosion a 'patina' and explain how pretty and unique it is. I had a wonderful Browning shotgun when I was young, it got a horrible 'patina' from my poor care when I was younger. Since then I just can't find it in my heart to like any type of corrosion.

I'll stick with Ti handled knives, I have a Pochi pre ordered.

Grizz
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have a copper flashlight and it's pretty neat and looks cool but I don't carry it a lot since it's single AAA and tends to egress my pocket resulting in a search in the tall grass.

And as always copper (and other knife metals) don't smell. What you can smell is the chemical reaction between body chemistry and the material. To smell copper the material would have to sublimate at room temperature which doesn't happen. What your nose is picking up is good old fashioned body odor.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Danke wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm
I have a copper flashlight and it's pretty neat and looks cool but I don't carry it a lot since it's single AAA and tends to egress my pocket resulting in a search in the tall grass.

And as always copper (and other knife metals) don't smell. What you can smell is the chemical reaction between body chemistry and the material. To smell copper the material would have to sublimate at room temperature which doesn't happen. What your nose is picking up is good old fashioned body odor.
I was wondering about that. I have big spools of copper wire that I use to keep slugs off my veggie plants, and I've never noticed a smell.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Very interesting! I don't want to buy one, but kuddos to making it happen! With their great ability to market in combination with loyal Spyderco fans makes me think this should sell well.

Hamilton