Pochi anticipation thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gdwtvb

Pochi anticipation thread

Post by gdwtvb »

We have a winner!

I have always had a special fondness for the smaller knives. Spyderco has hit it out of the park with this one. All the small details like the paw print cutout on the clip make the Pochi the first must have knife for me in quite some time.

I do have a question about the tail. Is it free moving or does it flip out upon opening the blade to enhance grip?

I get it, many of us want to be he-man macho types, but this knife should easily handle most of our daily cutting needs in a premium package and even the most anti-knife people couldn't help but find it adorable.

Can't wait for this one to drop!

Thanks to Spyderco for continuing to innovate and bring new ideas into the knife world!

Grizz
Mushroom

Re: Pochi anticipation thread

Post by Mushroom »

Looking forward to this one for a number of reasons. My favorite knife from Reveal V5.

I'm guessing its main function of the tail is to enhance grip when its open but it is most likely free to move however you want it.
-Nick :bug-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Not something I'm likely to buy, but it brings me a bit of joy just knowing that it exists. It's odd and it's clever and I can't think of another production company that would make it. Stay weird, Spyderco. :D :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't think I can resist this one...

Why? No idea!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Well, I did something I've never done before. I pre-ordered a knife, the Pochi. It's been over a month since the reveal dropped. I was looking to get a new knife and nothing calls to me like this one does. I decided to pre-order rather than buy anything else that will most likely end up in a drawer after the new wears off. The small spydercos are always my most used knives, so I know this one will get tons of pocket time.

I hope it ships soon.

Grizz
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's pretty cool. Doubt I'd buy one but I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and video.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

I think the flipper tab will hit a lever on the tail as it moves through the handle, so the blade and tail will flip out at the same time. It wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for the tail to engage with the tang and be held in place while the blade is open.

That’s my best guess anyways. Looks super cool. I can definitely see it being a great gift (ie. gateway knife) for non-knife people.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Theldraskien wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:42 pm
I think the flipper tab will hit a lever on the tail as it moves through the handle, so the blade and tail will flip out at the same time. It wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for the tail to engage with the tang and be held in place while the blade is open.
I'm not so sure, on the next page of the reveal there are two Pochis with the tails in different positions but both knives seem to be fully open.

Either way, I can't wait.

Grizz
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Perhaps the tail wags in some way.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't want to love this knife, but somehow I do. I suspect it's going to be a super collectible in years to come.

Still fighting the urge to buy one...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If I ever have my own work desk I will regret not having this knife on it.

Looks like a torx screw goes through where the tail connects. So you could probably leave it lose and adjustable, or tighten it down to a preferred position. Just guessing.

Also that picture on the next page of the reveal looks like a mirror image to me. Cutouts and lockbars are on the wrong sides.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

This one still falls squarely in the "what the ... :confused: " category for me.. haha anyone who wants one will be receiving no competition from me..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

It's a weird knife. Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PStone

Post by PStone »

I think this is one design that will need to be handled and used to appreciate. Most of Spydercos knifes could be viewed as weird looking. But those who know.....
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 am
Also that picture on the next page of the reveal looks like a mirror image to me. Cutouts and lockbars are on the wrong sides.
Good eye! I never noticed that but I believe you are exactly right!

Grizz
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

This is such a quirky and adorable design. I'm definitely picking one of these up. Been wanting one since I first saw the custom.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Can see this selling in the Japan market like hot cakes.
They had some quirky knives and most were on the small side also.
Bought a few knives for the kitchen so looked at a few shops
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The more I look, the more I want.

I am pretty sure this will be mine.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think this knife is pretty darn adorable, and I wonder if this will become a series of spyderco and Sakurai collaborations. I'd definitely be curious to see other animal-inspired designs.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:38 pm
I think this knife is pretty darn adorable, and I wonder if this will become a series of spyderco and Sakurai collaborations. I'd definitely be curious to see other animal-inspired designs.
I would like this.

Octopus, anyone?

-Thomas Jefferson