I'm falling out of love with the Compression Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: I'm falling out of love with the Compression Lock

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:20 pm
The inevitable solution to this nasty problem is to have a well rounded collection, in different shapes, sizes, locks and steels, to cater for all possible use cases. :)

I am far too monogamous for that. It's really "one knife to rule them all" for me. I have a lot of options and models that I really like but I can't help myself, I will always gravitate towards the ones that feel the most well rounded.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I loved the compression lock on my Para 3 when I first got it, but now my Para 3’s collect dust as I reach for Delicas every time.

The backlock is just superior in every way imo. Which is ironic, because I swore off backlocks 20+ years ago when I had one fail on me. But the style that Spyderco uses with the groove cutout, and the placement... I can’t imagine a safer lock that’s also as fast and easy to close one handed.

I for one would LOVE a backlock Shaman.
I haven’t held a shaman yet so I don’t know if it would be as ergonomic to close one-handed as something like a Delica, but... I like the idea.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:08 pm
I loved the compression lock on my Para 3 when I first got it, but now my Para 3’s collect dust as I reach for Delicas every time.

The backlock is just superior in every way imo. Which is ironic, because I swore off backlocks 20+ years ago when I had one fail on me. But the style that Spyderco uses with the groove cutout, and the placement... I can’t imagine a safer lock that’s also as fast and easy to close one handed.

I haven’t held a shaman yet so I don’t know if it would be as ergonomic to close one-handed as something like a Delica, but... I like the idea.
I agree with everything you said. The only thing that keeps me from getting a Shaman is the lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Found myself growing my collection of knives with a lot more EDC fixed blades lately, used more in chores around the house.
Still take a folder when heading out.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Haunted House wrote:

There has been some discussion of this previously and IIRC, Sal weighed in and said that there is not enough room in the handle of the Shaman for a backlock.

Sal has also mentioned that he is working on two other variants on the Shaman, but they are a ways off in the future.

I would also love a backlock Shaman of some type, or a contoured handle Native 5 XL (between the Native 5 and Chief in size). Pretty sure there would be a few other takers.

Back on topic :cool: :D

I like the compression lock OK, but for locking folders my gold standared is the Golden backlock.

I only have two comp lock knives, both Shaman. I like the Shaman enough to have the comp lock, but The majority of my other Spydercos are also backlocks. I recently bought a Lil Native and opted for the backlock. It is a sweet little knife and while i haven't handled the comp lock variant of the Lil, i am not very interested in that one.

(edited typo)
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am not a fan of the comp lock. I prefer the back lock, CBBL, and Spyderco's liner lock, especially the RIL, all to the comp lock.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Haunted House wrote:

The backlock is just superior in every way imo
. Which is ironic, because I swore off backlocks 20+ years ago when I had one fail on me. But the style that Spyderco uses with the groove cutout, and the placement... I can’t imagine a safer lock that’s also as fast and easy to close one handed.

I for one would LOVE a backlock Shaman

Both highlighted statements true for me personally either. But I totally get and respect if people prefer comp. lock or other lock types. One thing that is true indeed: A comp. lock is fun to play with from the get go even for real newbs to this lock, while the backlock, even the best and smoothest one, requires significantly more "training" and getting used to when it comes to operation. But its worth it imho.

/ Like Enactive stated already: I am pretty sure too that Sal mentioned a Shaman in the exact same form would not be possible with a backlock, at least the blade could not be as tall if the handle stayed the same height.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 am
Not sure that would make a difference, still a thin half bit of handle back there. I need to go do some hard cutting with my Spyderhawk for comparison.

Yeah, guess you're right. Hadn't had my Sliverax or PM2 out in a while and thought there might be some relief with the cutout and lock tab reversed, but after a quick comparison there isn't much difference in the overall hotspot between one hand and the other.

I don't face much hard cutting day-to-day and am generally able to grab a fixed blade when I do, so hadn't really thought about it before.
:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nate wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:57 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 am
Not sure that would make a difference, still a thin half bit of handle back there. I need to go do some hard cutting with my Spyderhawk for comparison.

Yeah, guess you're right. Hadn't had my Sliverax or PM2 out in a while and thought there might be some relief with the cutout and lock tab reversed, but after a quick comparison there isn't much difference in the overall hotspot between one hand and the other.

I don't face much hard cutting day-to-day and am generally able to grab a fixed blade when I do, so hadn't really thought about it before.

Yeah honestly this whole thing is a bit blown out of proportion. Like I said it's still one of my favorite locks and it won't stop me from carrying them, but it makes me wonder if something could evolve in the future to prevent this. Maybe some version of the bottom compression lock but apparently people see those as potentially unsafe.
~David
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:12 pm
I'd say 90% of my compression lock use is with the thumb on the back of the handle or blade. I can definitely see how the webbing of your hand can get irritated without that bracing.

Get well soon, hand! :)
Same here.
But then most of my bigger folders are lockbacks so for harder tasks I'm not using a compression lock, usually.
I wonder if there would be a way to design the lock bar so instead of coming up out of the liner it was folder over and filled the gap over the back, flush with the scales, with a indent in the scale just below the edge to allow you to push on the side of it.
lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 am
...this whole thing is a bit blown out of proportion.
Ya think?!

The need to signal loyalties—to models, steels, handles, locks—is so easily agitated here. I wonder why.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:54 am
Evil D wrote:
Ya think?!

The need to signal loyalties—to models, steels, handles, locks—is so easily agitated here. I wonder why.
#triggered
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:54 am
Evil D wrote:
Ya think?!

You should get on the Facebook group and mention that you don't like the Para 2 and you think there are better options. It's like you insulted someone's religion.

Then even suggest that SE has an advantage over PE...
~David
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

My favorite locks are the backlock and the CBBL. However, for extended woodworking/bushcrafting tasks at camp, I only use a fixed blade. Handle comfort is one of the primary reasons why.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kels73 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:28 am
My favorite locks are the backlock and the CBBL. However, for extended woodworking/bushcrafting tasks at camp, I only use a fixed blade. Handle comfort is one of the primary reasons why.

This is one of those options that is both the right answer, and I guess just not the answer I want to hear. I feel like it's reasonable to expect to be able to carve on a stick with my folder and be comfortable doing so. I'd agree that there's going to be a limit on how much work is a reasonable amount of work before discomfort starts, and maybe that's my whole problem here. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic? The problem I have with that logic is it still doesn't change the fact that other lock designs could have done the same amount of carving with less discomfort. Ultimately I just like to talk about this stuff and see what develops, maybe the design can be improved?
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this is why i end up carrying multiple knives on me. people think i’m crazy, but they legitimately all have different uses.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am
Kels73 wrote:

This is one of those options that is both the right answer, and I guess just not the answer I want to hear. I feel like it's reasonable to expect to be able to carve on a stick with my folder and be comfortable doing so. I'd agree that there's going to be a limit on how much work is a reasonable amount of work before discomfort starts, and maybe that's my whole problem here. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic? The problem I have with that logic is it still doesn't change the fact that other lock designs could have done the same amount of carving with less discomfort. Ultimately I just like to talk about this stuff and see what develops, maybe the design can be improved?
I carved many sticks as a youngster, using an old Case. I would wager, that type of handle would be about as comfortable as you can get, without going to a fixed blade.

I suppose that is a point in the slip joints favor. The back can be completely closed and contoured for more comfort.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am
Kels73 wrote:

When the lock is on the top of the handle and near the blade it may or may not cause the problems you are talking about.

Most of the pressure when cutting is going to be near the blade, right over the lock with the compression lock.

I found some of what you are talking about in extended cutting and or hard cutting with the compression lock. I normally will put on gloves when using a knife with the compression lock if I am going to be doing harder cutting with it etc.

Never has been my 1st choice, but won't stop me from getting a model that has it if I like the model overall.

I prefer Liner and or Frame Locks in folders that see extended and or harder cutting however.

I would like the PM2 a lot better if it was a liner lock, just saying. ;)

I realize this is going against the grain, but it's my opinion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:19 am

Comfort wide they do seem to be better options, I know I've done far worse than this with my Military and didn't get the same hot spots.
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:28 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:19 am

Comfort wide they do seem to be better options, I know I've done far worse than this with my Military and didn't get the same hot spots.

Exactly my point and why I don't carry a PM2, and rarely ever did. ;)

My Militaries get carried and used while my PM2's collect dust.