I do not like LC200N *rant*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
emanuel

I do not like LC200N *rant*

Post by emanuel »

I love my Waterway. I've used it extensively for the past year, from gutting fish/boar to batoning oak branches in the middle of the Carpathian Mountains, and I God **** love it! But I don't feel the love for this steel. There is NOTHING besides corrosion resistance that this steel brings to the table. NOTHING else. A friend from Ukraine that spends A LOT more time outdoors than me, around the Black Sea and in Russian Taiga (lots of humidity, Florida has nothing on it), mostly Ural mountains area, sees no advantage to this steel compared to the most basic offerings from Spyderco or competitors. Am I and him just some spoiled brats? Lol. I mean there are so many cheaper and even better stainless steels. I don't feel this steel needs to be used in anything else besides salt knives (which I love btw, I have a Pacific Salt SE H1 and a plain edge Native in LC200N, which satisfy me for the salt water use, but it doesn't compare to other steels, not even s30v).

So to end this rant, what "triggered" me was all the push for Kapara in LC200N, which I see no use for UNLESS it's full salt knife, and tbh I would rather use my Pacific Salt for those uses. That knife is a dedicated slicer, a knife used to cut in the kitchen. Corrosion resistance is the last thing that matters in the kitchen, a place where most ppl instantly wash and dry their knives once done (or a few hours later for a Kapara, when s30v is still corrosion resistant enough to not have any issues), there's a reason why carbon steel japanese knives are so popular. For most ppl, corrosion isn't a problem in the kitchen.
Evil D

Re: I do not like LC200N *rant*

Post by Evil D »

Eh. I love it 🤷‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I enjoy my waterway also. If they were to make a tool steel version, my choice would be K390. I love my P4.
Justin
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I've never used a pocket knife in the kitchen - that's what kitchen knives are for. I have and do use pocket knives for food outside of the kitchen, which usually means I wipe off the blade and put it back in my pocket. I'm a fan of LC200N and am not a fan of S30V. While I would love a Kapara in LC200N, I'll take a Kapara in any steel as long as it's not S30V or VG10. I'd be happy with that S110V in your avatar as an option for the Kapara...

3/10 on the antiLC-Kapara rant for failing to convince me. :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For Salt models I would like to see LC200N over H1, every model, every time. But I do not want to see it in other models just because there is some short term “hotness” to it. Horses for courses as the old saying goes.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I think it strikes a pretty good balance of properties along with being highly corrosion resistant. It’s not as if it is a bad steel apart from its corrosion resistance.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I like it. It's a good well balanced steel in every characteristic except corrosion resistance, in which it excels.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I have a spydiechef and would prefer it in just about any other steel besides lc200n. The edge retention just isn’t there. Brilliant design held back by the steel....
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I thought the Waterway was marketed as a Salt knife. Spyderco makes other fixed blades. Are you specifically wanting this exact model in a different steel?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In all fairness I think the jury may still be out on these Nitrogen based steels. I love H-1 in SE but in plain edge to me it's close to useless for what I mainly use a knife for. LC200N is obviously far better in PE than H-1. Not yet sure how it is in SE because I've yet to test drive one.

I think that these Nitrogen based steels are in still in their pioneer stage for the most part. And even with what we've see so far I think that both LC200N and H-1 have earned their keep in the Salt Series.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It works a lot better in plainedge than H1 does, and that's the bar it had to pass in my book.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:13 pm
In all fairness I think the jury may still be out ....

I don't know if that's the issue or if people are just really unrealistic in their expectations. If a guy wants S110V or equivalent edge retention, then why not stick with those steels that are known for extreme edge retention and not even waste your time with these "lesser" steels?

I dunno. There was a time when the idea of not having to sharpen a knife for a month was appealing to me, then I realized I'd rather spend 60 seconds every couple days doing a touch up and end up with a sharper edge more often than those guys who are happy with mediocre "working edge" sharpness for extended periods. I guess I just realized there's a practical limit to how much edge retention I need, and I'll happily give some up for an increase in other characteristics.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I feel like LC200N is the current flavor of the day. There is an outcry for almost everything to be made in LC200N, and I agree with the original poster that it's a bit over the top.

For the Waterway (designed by/for an ocean kayak fisherman) it makes sense. It also makes sense for an absolute zero maintenance (salt series) knife. I'd love to have a Manix 2 LW Salt, for example, with LC200N.

But I agree that the "LC200N everything" cries are a bit much. I have read someone (can't remember who) on this forum proposing that LC200N replace s30v as Spyderco's base steel, for example. That seems kind of nuts to me.

I don't own a SpydieChef, but I think in that platform I'd prefer something other than LC200N.

I also agree that the Waterway (I own one) would be a _fantastic_ knife if it were sprinted (or just made in a permanent variant) in another steel for general outdoors use. I recall their being an entire thread about that idea, and I think I proposed K390 at that time. I still think K390 in the Waterway design would be amazing, and I'd carry/use it a lot more that way, given that I am not a saltwater adventurer and live roughly a thousand mile drive (more like 500 miles as the crow flies) from the ocean.

I don't think LC200N is a bad steel at all. It's just a very specific steel for very specific applications. It makes a ton of sense in those applications, and a little less sense in other applications (or as a general purpose EDC steel).
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:27 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:13 pm
In all fairness I think the jury may still be out ....

I don't know if that's the issue or if people are just really unrealistic in their expectations. If a guy wants S110V or equivalent edge retention, then why not stick with those steels that are known for extreme edge retention and not even waste your time with these "lesser" steels?

I dunno. There was a time when the idea of not having to sharpen a knife for a month was appealing to me, then I realized I'd rather spend 60 seconds every couple days doing a touch up and end up with a sharper edge more often than those guys who are happy with mediocre "working edge" sharpness for extended periods. I guess I just realized there's a practical limit to how much edge retention I need, and I'll happily give some up for an increase in other characteristics.
^this.

lc200n is close enough to s30v retention to me, which is more than adequate to get me through at least a day of cutting. but it’s also even easier to touch up and it’s rustproof.

it’s not for everyone and that’s alright. living in hawaii, i love both lc200n and h1. when i move this summer, i’ll probably still love them both, but maybe i’ll be more willing to try some other steels. it all depends on your needs. sometimes you have to prioritize rust resistance over edge retention. i’m glad we have the options.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve read posts on BF by some people who favor super edge-holding steels, who say they touch up their knives after each day of use, because they’re afraid of losing the edge and having a difficult time restoring it. What’s the difference between that and using a so-called “lesser” steel that may not hold an edge as long, but takes a screaming sharp edge, holds it a decent amount of time, and is easy to resharpen?

Jim
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It all depends on how you're using the knife.
LC200N is fine for me around the house, I might get away with touching it up every couple days.
But at work, I would need to stop and repair edge damage (rolling) on LC200N several times a day, whereas I can usually go the whole day without needing to do that with other steels.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have beat the ever loving snot out of my Caribbean and it hasn't phased it in the slightest.

LC200N has INCREDIBLE toughness, holds a respectable edge for a long time, sharpens to a razor with very little effort, is almost fully corrosion proof and is fairly cheap relative to other steels that can compete with it.

What's not to like?

It may bug you, but I'll take it on everything. It's been a game changer in my book.

How about a Micro Dyad made entirely out of LC200N? :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I had the lc200n mules when they came out and have been using it ever since. I like the steel, but it certainly does not hold an edge that well. Its not close to s30v no matter what some review says.

If the point is that you dont understand people asking for lc200n everything, then I get where you are coming from.

But if you are just saying you dont like it for your personal use then I dont understand the issue. It sounds like you can get away with using tool steels, carbon steels, and better stainless steels. It sounds like you dont need a salt series.

I dont know how many people really need a salt series knife. They were meant to live on the beach, be left in kayaks, be put away wet and dirty. I would pretty much argue if your knife doesnt see daily saltwater exposure, and by that I mean actually getting wet, then there are other better stainless options.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:33 pm
I’ve read posts on BF by some people who favor super edge-holding steels, who say they touch up their knives after each day of use, because they’re afraid of losing the edge and having a difficult time restoring it. What’s the difference between that and using a so-called “lesser” steel that may not hold an edge as long, but takes a screaming sharp edge, holds it a decent amount of time, and is easy to resharpen?

Jim

This is literally what I used to do. You'll still hear me making the same suggestions too, "just don't let it get dull and it won't be hard to sharpen". A big part of that is having the right sharpening media to cut those types of steel but even with them I'd be lying if I said sharpening S110V is just as easy as LC200N. That's not even taking into consideration the chore of fixing edge damage or how much work it takes to reprofile a bevel. On one hand it may seem that I've gotten lazy, but the reality is I spend far less time sharpening now than I did with those super edge retention steels so for me they have the opposite effect and turn sharpening into a chore. I'm also far more willing to use my knife hard because I don't fear dulling or damaging the edge as much since it's a breeze to being it back.
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Check out Larrin’s “Recommended” for LC200N’s toughness results. Not too shabby.

I’ll take it along with its corrosion-resistance (even if neither is H1’s equal) and trade some edge-holding for sharpening-response.

Should everything be LC200N? Where’s the fun in that? But I’m glad to have the SpydieChef, Caribbean, and Waterway, and I’m looking forward to the Siren.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”