Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Larrin's recent steel tests have definitely highlighted how strong a performer s30v still is.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I find it funny that people are excited about S45vn (which is EXTREMELY) similar to s35vn in composition, but complain about s30v.

The extra % of vanadium in s30v means it’s almost certainly going to outperform both s35vn and S45vn in regards to edge retention. I really don’t understand why so many people have something against s30v.

I am using my new teal endura in s30v and I broke down a TON of cardboard with it yesterday. It still easily shaved hair afterward. It was an amount of cardboard that has totally blunted the edges of other knives in “better” steels.

People under estimate s30v and it makes me sad. It’s so ubiquitous now that I guess some people just assume the other steels are better. Because they’re on a sprint run and have 15 more VN’s! Gotta be better right?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I still think this will be very popular so other steel variations are likely. I'm just going to buy the first run and then we'll see what comes after that.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

How will we know when the PM2 Tanto is available?

I don't see it listed at BHQ, so I can't sign up for a text alert.

I don't see it listed in the Reveal.

I will monitor this thread (I had to post to subscribe to it.)

Assuming this won't be a standard catalog item, will it just quietly appear?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm not sure, but it's likely we'll get at least a few days notice on BHQ's social media accounts. Possibly email if you've signed up for their updates.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:31 pm
I find it funny that people are excited about S45vn (which is EXTREMELY) similar to s35vn in composition, but complain about s30v.

The extra % of vanadium in s30v means it’s almost certainly going to outperform both s35vn and S45vn in regards to edge retention. I really don’t understand why so many people have something against s30v.

I am using my new teal endura in s30v and I broke down a TON of cardboard with it yesterday. It still easily shaved hair afterward. It was an amount of cardboard that has totally blunted the edges of other knives in “better” steels.

People under estimate s30v and it makes me sad. It’s so ubiquitous now that I guess some people just assume the other steels are better. Because they’re on a sprint run and have 15 more VN’s! Gotta be better right?
I will take S30v over 35vn any day. S35VN was DESIGNED to be CHEAPER to grind and machine. The only thing it has over S30v is toughness, and thatsnprobably marginal.

I will take a pm2 tanto in S30v if they ever release it.

I’m actually getting frustrated waiting on it....it’s going to sell out instantly it will be a huge hit....or it would have been last year. I think by the time it’s finally released, the PM2 will be much less popular. Most knife guys I know are already sick of seeing the PM2
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've got an ATR2 coming in, so if this hits anytime soon it'll be interesting to run a comparison....
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

So it’s dropping soon. $192 from bladehq....kinda steep. I get that the grind is a lot more complicated than the FFG version, but for that price, could we at least get a little variation?? Maybe some digicam g10, maybe a fully serrated version?

And I don’t buy the line that “tantos just don’t sell” because tantos are insanely popular, and the main gripe most people have with the pm2 is that the tip is too fragile anyways, so the tanto version will be an instant hit!

Just to clarify, I don’t even think $200 is too much for a uniquely ground pm2, IF it was in standard production. But for a knife that’s going to sell out in less than a day, and hit secondary market at almost $300, it’s not very appetizing.

Idk man, it just doesn’t make sense to me. Seems like it’s too little, too late.
Last edited by Brotherscinc0 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The BladeHQ Exclusive Tanto PM2 is officially coming soon!

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... dercotanto
-Nick :bug-red
atv223

Post by atv223 »

So is this a one time run, when they're gone they're gone or is this going to be a regular production exclusive to BHQ?
dmr321

Post by dmr321 »

atv223 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:34 pm
So is this a one time run, when they're gone they're gone or is this going to be a regular production exclusive to BHQ?
I am wondering this too, I'm glad they made a black bladed version.

Haha also I wish it had a black compression lock like the Yojimbo 2, I'm hoping one day all the DLC models will have black liners/ locks haha. I can hope right
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wish we knew the drop date!
nyarlotep

Post by nyarlotep »

I wish Blade HQ had a preorder option. I'm sure these will sell out fast once they drop.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I'm certain these would come in closer to 180ish if the blades were not DLC.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Well, it's 30 $ more then standard S30V with DLC coating. Is it worth that extra money? Hard to tell.
If someone is really sold on tanto blades and loves PM2, I think it's not that much expensive.
There is a lot more grinding to do with this blade profile, so I think the price is fair.

Don't know why, but I always thought that they are going to release it with and without DLC coating.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Price is a bit steep. Not sure if I'll get one or not. Looks good though.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I'm pretty sure this Tanto PM2 will be enough to cause me to break my boycott on S30V
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

SubMicron wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 am
I'm pretty sure this Tanto PM2 will be enough to cause me to break my boycott on S30V
And this might get me to break my boycott of BHQ since it’s not jade G10!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 am
Well, it's 30 $ more then standard S30V with DLC coating. Is it worth that extra money? Hard to tell.
If someone is really sold on tanto blades and loves PM2, I think it's not that much expensive.
There is a lot more grinding to do with this blade profile, so I think the price is fair.

Don't know why, but I always thought that they are going to release it with and without DLC coating.
I think it’s pretty fair.

What sucks is that it’s going to sell out very quickly and unless it’s going to be made standard production, this all-Black version will be all we get.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wait... when did they change it to DLC?

Last I saw it was satin. I was on the fence, but DLC pushes me off.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson