Swayback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jason_x_90

Swayback

Post by jason_x_90 »

Hello all.

First post and I made this account specifically for this. Apologies if this is in the wrong place etc, I am not a big forum person.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a release date or even some sort of ETA on the Swayback? BladeHQ put out a preorder at the beginning of May and I jumped at it, thinking that this meant imminent release. However, I've subsequently asked them, as well as Spyderco about a release date or even a vague timeline and have been told they dont have any idea.

Maybe it's just me, but to put out an item in a product catalog and for a major dealer to take preorders, they must have a timeline...unless I'm mistaken, which I could be. Any insight is appreciated
VooDooChild

Re: Swayback

Post by VooDooChild »

When spyderco announces a new product it is supposed to be available within 90 to 120 days. Some stuff has been available almost immediately, like the Canis, and other stuff has taken over 120 days to come to market, like the Siren.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum, Jason.

No idea on release dates. I think Spyderco actively tries not to give them, because there are so many variables that can make them change (even little things like not having the sheath ready for a fixed blade, or waiting on the printers for new inserts, can delay a release), and they don't want to make people angry if they miss an announced date. The closest we usually get is an estimated quarter of release.

Dealers with exclusives usually give a release date _after_ they actually have a shipping notice not the knives, so they know they'll have them in hand for the actual sale.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Basically, I think it will be released when it is ready according to Spyderco’s requirements, and when stocks are sufficient.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
jason_x_90

Post by jason_x_90 »

Thanks all for the input.

It makes sense now that they wouldn't have a definite release date. I was just concerned because the card i used for the preorder is a debit card I keep empty until I'm ready to use. I didn't want it to be the case that I didn't know the release date, for bladehq to charge to empty card and have it decline and kill my order.

However bladehq customer service said I'll get an email alert and I can just call and let them know when to charge again and it wouldn't automatically kick my preorder slot.

Very much psyched for the Swayback. Honestly haven't been this excited about a knife in years.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

https://youtu.be/NvJlJYS ... =emb_title

Quick 30 second video from GP Knives of the Swayback! Can’t wait to get mine.
jason_x_90

Post by jason_x_90 »

Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:40 pm
https://youtu.be/NvJlJYS ... =emb_title

Quick 30 second video from GP Knives of the Swayback! Can’t wait to get mine.

I'm itching to get it in. I saw a video of one in the hand of a friend who is a collector club member. He got it in yesterday. I haven't been this excited about a knife in years.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I wonder why there is no lanyard tube? Does anyone know?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

PStone wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 pm
My guess is they were tired of complaints about loose lanyard tubes "rattling" like on other models
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 pm
PStone wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 pm
My guess is they were tired of complaints about loose lanyard tubes "rattling" like on other models
Makes sense I guess. Nothing a drop of lock tight couldn’t fix though.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wife texted mine was delivered, so I took a lunch break to go home and get it. Out of the box impression...WOW! The mirrored stone wash is even nicer than the Maxamets I have. Action is literally smooth as glass, with a superb lockup. Closest I have to compare it to is probably the lil nilakka or GB2. Crazy sharp too.
Also, is this a new pouch? I’ve only had/seen the imitation leather ones with the bug printed on. This one is nicely embroidered with the bug, and made of nylon/cordura. It’s also shaped a bit different. I like it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Any lock stick or lock sliding?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

They also used that new pouch style for the Bombshell. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
PStone

Post by PStone »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:07 am
Any lock stick or lock sliding?
No stick at all whatsoever. I don’t know about sliding. Is that like the spine whack failure? It will not fail with a half hearted whack on my knee. But that’s as far as I’m going to take it. Or do you mean travel when pressure on the lockbar? It locks up around 30%, but if I squeeze/grip hard enough, it’ll go to 50ish%. Still doesn’t stick though. It’s definitely a home run in my book. Extraordinary fit and finish.
PStone

Post by PStone »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:18 am
They also used that new pouch style for the Bombshell. :)
Thank you! I hope they all start getting this one. I really like it.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Swayback has a stainless steel interface on the titanium lockbar. This should prevent lock stick, lock slip and the lockbar lasting much longer.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RadioactiveSpyder

Just arrived a few hours ago and initial impressions are very favorable (no surprise there)! Another hit from Marcin Slysz that should make some folks pining away for a Slysz Bowie (or rerun thereof) very happy! Size-wise it is on par with the Bowie in both the open and closed positions but has some added blade length due to its wharncliffe blade shape.

And with the whole family :)

More pics to come after I fix the shiny clip situation... Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Very nice! My pre-order should be shipping soon.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jason_x_90

Post by jason_x_90 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:20 pm
Just arrived a few hours ago and initial impressions are very favorable (no surprise there)! Another hit from Marcin Slysz that should make some folks pining away for a Slysz Bowie (or rerun thereof) very happy! Size-wise it is on par with the Bowie in both the open and closed positions but has some added blade length due to its wharncliffe blade shape.

Woah that's gorgeous. Thanks for the pics! Mine should be shipping in the morning from KnifeWorks. I live in Jamaica so it'll be going to Florida then to me. So probably another week and a half or so waiting time. I'm absolutely dying!

And with the whole family :)

More pics to come after I fix the shiny clip situation... Cheers, Radioactive
RadioactiveSpyder

With a Nirvana clip installed:

If someone wants to install a Lynch clip, it will work but the top end of the clip will extend past the end of the knife a fair bit, and that was a deal-breaker for me. I actually picked up a very nice REK clip and am having trouble mounting that as well since the Swayback scales are quite contoured and the clip back is obviously flat. I’m hoping to add some reverse matched contouring to the underside of the clip so it sits correctly on the scale (and can be properly screwed in). Cheers, Radioactive