Who's gonna get a Counter Puppy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cscottsss

Re: Who's gonna get a Counter Puppy?

Post by Cscottsss »

Yeah, the more I think about it I'm going to pass on the Counter Puppy and get a Z-cut or two.

Price, steel are better and they're made in Golden.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Who's using a counter puppy? I can't pull the trigger because pricing seems way off to me when z cuts are so affordable, USA made and better steel.

Anyone have both for comparison pics?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Ordered mine on April 14th, and got it today. What a loooooong wait...

Haven't tried it yet. It looks and feels sharp (got a serrated blade with blue handles version). Wish it was larger. Minimum +30%, but even double size would be good. I'm gonna use it to cut vegetables for our guinea pigs. For that it should just be big enough.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I want to buy several of them, really bad, but I wont without a different steel. I'm holding out for VG10 or better.

Let's get the China factory into sprints! I think VG10 is available there.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,

We have 2 more sizes planned.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Honestly, I didn’t think I would use mine much but it’s probably the second most used knife in the kitchen. Even though it’s small it’s great for chopping up a lime quick or tearing through a steak with ease!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:52 pm
Hi Archangel,

We have 2 more sizes planned.

sal

Tschakka! Perfect! Wifey and I like to hear that! :)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Why is the Zcut made in golden in bd1n for $20 when the counter puppy is made in China in 7cr for $30.

I find the concept intriguing but when I factor in a low grade steel, the country of origin and the price I just can’t get into it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
acer

Post by acer »

I have got a 3 year old miniature schnauzer so the idea of another puppy (the first year is hard) is not that appealing but I will get one for my girlfriend to help her cook and prepare my tea . Any excuse to buy another spyderco🤪🤓out.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

acer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:35 am
"so the idea of another puppy (the first year is hard) "
Truth!

I have no interest in any of the CPs, but I might snag a Z-Cut. I'm happy for Spyderco if the CPs are selling well, so that they can continue to make the stuff I want!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

araneae wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am
Who's using a counter puppy? I can't pull the trigger because pricing seems way off to me when z cuts are so affordable, USA made and better steel.

Anyone have both for comparison pics?
Here are the two together. I find that the thinner steel on the Z-Cut doesn’t work as well as the Counter Puppy on “firm” food, e.g. whole onions or apples. The blade bends, twists, and wanders. It works well on less firm food like tomatoes or food thats already been sliced down. It’s doable, but you need to pay attention to get a straight cut. The Counter Puppy works much better in this respect.

I wish the handle on the Counter Puppy was a bit longer, but then this isn’t a hard use knife where it requires a firm grip. On the plus side they work well packing one in a cooler/lunchbox when you’re on the go. I’ll definitely be on the look out for the newer sizes Sal mentioned.

I’ve given a couple of the Counter Puppy’s to friends and they really like them. They like how the legs keep the blade off of the cutting surfaces. One couple uses theirs in the kitchen and the other coworker will toss hers in the soft cooler for use at lunchtime.
Attachments
E229B6E3-C90A-4186-9B73-5F924E059016.jpeg
899A5878-62AD-4FAA-89FD-9767F4ADEDA3.jpeg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 am
Why is the Zcut made in golden in bd1n for $20 when the counter puppy is made in China in 7cr for $30.

I find the concept intriguing but when I factor in a low grade steel, the country of origin and the price I just can’t get into it.
This is why I don’t have one. It makes no sense to me. I have 2 Zcuts. Great knives, but the counter puppy, though I like the design, seems too much money for what you get in comparison.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

Used it to cut some peppers, beets, carrots, lettuce. Works perfectly well, and stands there waiting for its next task.

Pretty sure I'll get one bigger version when they are out there.
Michael
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Just found out about this knife today. I'd like to order one but they seem in short supply right now :-||
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm personnally waiting for Z-cuts SE to restock to gift one to every member of my family.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
sal

Post by sal »

FYI, The next size Counter Puppy is in-the-works. Steak knife size.

sal
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Thanks for letting us know Sal ! Will be looking forward to it 👌
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

I'm a big fan of the Z-cut knives. They feel good, work well, and use a decent steel.

I was interested in a Counter Puppy but the 7Cr17Mov stopped me. I've had a knife block full of 440A blades sitting on my counter for at least twenty years. That was a reasonable steel choice back when I bought them. In 2022, I could hardly justify buying more knives in 440A. Forget the Chinese equivalent.

The last kitchen knives I purchased were a couple of chef's knives in 14C28N from TwoSun and a few of the serrated Z-Cuts in BD1N. I don't need a super steel. I just need something better than 8Cr13Mov...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:23 pm
FYI, The next size Counter Puppy is in-the-works. Steak knife size.

sal

Was just thinking about this one last night while using mine to cut steak. Glad to see it’s on its way!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”