I like that Spyderco brings out so many new models, but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

I like that Spyderco brings out so many new models, but...

Post by Doc Dan »

I like that Spyderco constantly brings out new models. However, I feel that the bread and butter knives, Dragonfly, Delica (and Caly3), Manix 2 and Endura are better than most of them. These knives are practical and useful. They are not going to go out of style for people who carry and use knives. Collectors are a different story, but seriously, for example, I do not think there is a better 3 inch bladed knife out there than the Delica. This is my opinion, of course, but that what I think about it.

For this reason, I am happy to continue to buy versions of these knives and I hope for more steel choices and scale materials in the future.

Some of the knives that come out simply are not for me, for many reasons. I see people rush out and buy them, and then sell them on the exchange very quickly. I have only parted with one Spyderco, ever, and it was a model that looked cool, slicker than goose crap. But, it was not practical in the final analysis and I took it back to the store. I still have my original Caly3, all of my Dragonflies, Enduras, Delicas, and Manix 2's. I own multiples of each of these. I cannot think of parting with them because there is nothing out there to replace them with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Re: I like that Spyderco brings out so many new models, but...

Post by SG89 »

Not every car made is practical either, doesn't stop people from buying them. Different strokes for different folks. I agree the manix 2 is an all around winner
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm right there with you. I have tried the majority of the flagship models from Golden and Seki and the Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, and Manix are my top 4 as well and it is one of these 4 that is in my pocket 99% of the time. I'm also really hoping we will continue to see new steels in these ones. I am definitely buying the K390 Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly.

The Cruwear Delica was the knife of the year for me last year and a huge surprise! I am hoping to see Cruwear versions of the other Seki models and some 4V versions from St. Nicks as well. Maybe we will even start seeing steels like Rex45, 52100, and AEB-L in the Seki models. LC200N Seki models would be great as well. And more TiCN coated Seki models. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah I don’t tend to sell Spydercos either. I mostly buy them to use.

I also tend to return to the Seki line for a few reasons, but the prevailing one is the bladestock is thin.

I like that Spyderco have enough variety to please nearly everyone though.

Catering to knife knuts and collectors must be like herding cats sometimes.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To each his own. The way I see it, Spyderco has brought out hundreds of models over the years. Many have failed to catch on and disappeared from the lineup. A few have had only marginal success, attracting just enough of a following to remain in production for 5-10 years. Only a handful have been major successes. However, even the most successful models don't appeal to everyone. I'll take a Kiwi over a Dragonfly, a Chaparral over a Delica, Calypso Jr. or Caly 3 and a Stretch over the Endura or Manix 2 any day.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I own (and like) most of the core models but I also like a lot of others including the collaboration knives. Mantra, Sage, Sliverax, GB, Advocate, Kapara, and even the Smock are all great models. The might not stay in the line up very long but they won't be leaving my collection any time soon.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I wouldn’t want Spyderco to stop pushing the design envelope, but, man, the usual suspects, dressed up in different steels and scales, truly are what keep me here.

What are the “usual suspects” for me? By and large, they’re the ones I recommend in my prepared statement:

“The Military, Stretch, Chaparral, Caribbean, and Shaman are my favorite “Sals” (in order of model #), followed by the Police, Calypso, Pacific Salt, Sage, and Urban (again in order of model #). I’d recommend any of them without hesitation. Same with the PM2 and Chief that Sal and Eric each had a hand in designing. And I’d also recommend the Manix and Manix2 (large and small), and the Lil’ Native. They are the “Erics” I have and really really love.”
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I have to agree with Paul - while I like Delicas and own several I prefer the chap or native lw to the Delica. And I prefer the stretch to the endura.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

For me, part of the fun of this hobby is trying new models. Some work for me and become part of my collection, some don't and get sold. Lately I've sold off a bunch of my delicas and dragonflies in order to buy models that are more outside of my comfort zone, and I'm really having fun with it. That being said, if I absolutely had to live with only two knives, I'd probably pick a delica and a Manix 2 (although the para3 lw would be a serious contender for the delica spot these days). There are definitely several delicas and dflies that I never plan to part with, and y'all know at this point that I can't resist a Manix 2 variation!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I feel like many of the classics you mention, while excellent, fall short in certain aspects that many of us look for.

They are all tall blades for their size that make for tall size in the pocket, impacts the comfort of carry. They also generally have forward choil a, or at least ricassos, that eat up the sharpened usable edge, so many have pretty small usable edge relative to the handle size. They are all very ergonomic and practical, but personally I put a lot of value on comfort in the pocket and available edge for that size.

Many of the newer releases tend to address these issues. Slimmer profiles, larger edge to handle ratio. I am a fan, and a fan of the older as well. But if I’m honest generally I’m carrying my Southard or Ikuchi, if not my 20cv 940 or Bareknuckle.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The evergreen designs have had lots of time to inch closer towards perfection. It stands to reason that any proposed changes to these beloved models is met with a lot of worry and consternation.

Then there's the "new classics" line-up that includes the Endela, Caribbean and Shaman. They still have the in-house design of the evergreen models, but they also have the freedom to address new preferences and needs.

Collaboration models are often amazing, but unless they garner very strong sales, they don't maintain the same mental real estate in the market as, say, the PM2 does. I suspect the Smock will be with us for a long time.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

:confused:
I'm fairly certain Spyderco isn't doing these collaborations in an attempt to outperform themselves. Some people may find that the collaborations do perform better for their needs, but thats completely subjective. Also, it's not like their signature series knives are getting replaced by their collaboration models. Their signature series is also far from ignored, as it's the primary source for sprints and exclusives. There are so many options and there is plenty of variety to choose from across their signature series. (The market seems to agree with you)

I love using Spyderco's signature series knives too, but... design is what drives my ambition to collect Spyderco. I can't even express how disappointed I would be if Spyderco stopped doing collaborations with the wide range of designers they currently work with. Personally, I enjoy using these knives the most.

I have a handful of knives that I have found perform well for me at work but the majority of my knives see typical EDC use. I haven't bought a Spyderco yet, signature series or collaboration, that couldn't perform those EDC tasks for me.
-Nick :bug-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I like it that Doc Dan kicks off discussions like this fairly regularly. My hat is off to you buddy!

I am warping this into asking myself what "offbeat" Spydercos I like. My favorites do tend to be the classics, the PM2, the Manix 2, the Military. Of the Seki lineup I have only every tried the Caly 3 and I like it. I view it as a slightly bigger dragonfly (though I have never handled the Dragonfly).

Anyway, the only offbeat Spyderco that I am enduringly fond of is the Gayle Bradley 1 that I have. Well, I might add the backlock Manix to that list (Now a list of two knives!)

But anyway, I am glad that Spyderco is forever trying new things. I am glad for example that Sal designed the Shaman, which seems to have become an all around winner and is in the mainstream classic category now.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There are reasons that the "bread and butter" Spyderco models have stuck around so long and have received upgrades and sprints of their own, they continue to sell well and are well received by users. I don't think the many other models that come and go are any threat to the core models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I like spyderco because they stick their neck out and try new things constantly. So many different steels, with good heat treats, exclusive and sprint runs, the ethnic series... There's something for everyone! My personal favorite is the Amalgam, which seems to be very niche. I figured more people would love a spydie flipper but seems some can't be bothered to just move their finger a little when the flipper passes through the lock cut out. It's very fidgetty, even more than a PM2! You can flip it, spydie flick, thumb flick, do a hard shake out, spydie drop... And the sounds it makes!

I love the thing. The manix 2 xl is close though, I'm really enjoying it as well!

Still wish we could get a "poor man's" drunken with G10 and S30v... Maybe one day I'll find a user for a good price!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love collecting knives and I love Spydercos. However, the older I get, I hope the wiser I get. Those bread and butter Spydercos excel in every area that is important to me. I am looking forward to new steels and new handle material options in the future. Perhaps a Titanium/LC200N or Ti/H1 or Ti/M390? Kirinite or something? The options are endless.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’m just the opposite, lol. While I appreciate the bread-and-butter models, my real excitement comes from seeing new models. True, some may not be as practical as others, but the uniqueness factor has always been what’s drawn me to Spyderco’s designs.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:32 am
I love collecting knives and I love Spydercos. However, the older I get, I hope the wiser I get. Those bread and butter Spydercos excel in every area that is important to me. I am looking forward to new steels and new handle material options in the future. Perhaps a Titanium/LC200N or Ti/H1 or Ti/M390? Kirinite or something? The options are endless.
Ti/LC200N would be my ideal combo, I would take it in every model I have. I didn't care for the Spydiechef, but I'm trying to find a good deal on a secondhand Tusk.

Plus, if it's Ti, I don't have to worry about anyone taking away my liners! :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a smart business model. The bread and butter models help to sustain the brand while the more risky models bring in hype and attention. Sprints are basically the Shelby GT500 of the knife world.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have had many Spydercos but the last one standing for me would be my DLC S30V Para 3. Given the way the handle, ramp and choil combine to fit my hand for different grips and the highly utilitarian blade right at 3”, I just love this knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation