Different Serration Patterns on Wharncliffe Delica4 LW - (C11FSWCBK)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Different Serration Patterns on Wharncliffe Delica4 LW - (C11FSWCBK)

Post by Evil D »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:45 am
[

So I have an SE Dragonfly Salt en route... I was eyeballing both the DLC SE Para3 LW & the Harpy, although I like the harpy a little more I think, but I already have the Lil' Matriarch and my new Wharnie SE Delica both in VG10 so I think I might go with the SE Para3 first given it's got BD1N which I don't have a serrated knife in it yet... any thoughts on which would be the better of the two? I think I'll probably end up with both in short order. I used my new SE Wharnie Delica this morning to break down some cardboard and it's a beast, it 'feels' a little different to use than the Lil' Matriarch, not sure that it's better or worse, just different.... and WAY faster & more fun than my using my sharpest PE blades. I'm really loving the fact that I get to learn how to use knives in a different way all over again, it's just plain fun! :D ;) :p :)

Cheers,

John

Hawkbills are a lot of fun, though kinda similar to your Matriarch so I'd figure out how much variety you want and go with what's most different. The Dragonfly hawkbill is also a sweet little knife. I haven't tried BD1N yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JMM

Post by JMM »

Cool, thank you for sharing your knowledge, I super appreciate it! I'll post up my experiences/thoughts on the Dragonfly when it lands...

Cheers,

John
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Let it be officially known that almost any blade with "curve" in it does significantly better with a serrated edge.

When it comes to wharncliffe SE blades you can also put most sheepsfoot SE blades in the same performance range IMO.

The past serrated version of the C-60 Ayoob is one of the very few Spyders that have a belly on it. And that design seems to do well with teeth too.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I think at this point I'd have to agree with you on that, I spent some more time last night cutting my new flatscreen tv box to ribbons using my Byrd HawkBill, Lil' Matriarch, SE Wharnie Delica, and SE DLC Shaman, and the Lil' Matriarch & Byrd HawkBill were both the two most efficient cutters, although my HawkBill needs t be sharpened now which is something new to me (I do have a SharpMaker) -- this confirms my suspicion that an SE Ulize would almost certainly be a beast of a knife... I have a PE Massad Ayoob and I really want to get my hands on a SE version. ;) :D

Cheers,

John
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm
Apparently over time serration patterns will change as the wheel wears, so over the course of X amount of knives being ground, the first and last knives from a batch may have differences in the pattern from grinding stone wear.
I think it just goes from very crisp serrations to more blunted serrations. I don't think there's any way for the pattern itself to change from wear. How could that happen?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:38 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm
Apparently over time serration patterns will change as the wheel wears, so over the course of X amount of knives being ground, the first and last knives from a batch may have differences in the pattern from grinding stone wear.
I think it just goes from very crisp serrations to more blunted serrations. I don't think there's any way for the pattern itself to change from wear. How could that happen?

Yeah that's a good point, I guess they wouldn't get wider by much if any. I wonder if there are different wheels in use that also have slightly different patterns. There definitely seems to be a difference between country of origin patterns.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The first photo was in fact a Photoshopped rendering that was created before we had a production sample of the SpyderEdge Delica 4 Wharncliffe in hand. We had already decided to produce it, had placed the purchase order, and were working on marketing materials--all well before the wheel was made to grind the serrations on production blades. Our graphic artist took a photo of a PlainEdge version and did his magic to it, using his best judgment and artistic skills. That photo became the "official" product photo for that knife and was made available to all our authorized dealers. Ebayers then poached that photo from us--and them--to use in their listings.

Once a knife is actually released, we shoot new photos of actual production samples and update our master files, which feed our catalog and are made available to our dealers so they have the option to update theirs. Sometimes, however, a knife may "fall through the cracks" on that process. That's what happened here.

First and foremost, thank you for pointing this out. Now that we know, we'll get it fixed.

Second, the knife you received is, in fact, completely legit. I know because that's my standard "back-pocket" carry knife. Its serration pattern has five large scallops and starts and ends with a large scallop.

Finally, hopefully this gives a little insight into the challenges we face when it comes to releasing new products. Quite often, prototypes are not 100% accurate. If we make any minor tweaks between the final prototype and the first samples made on actual production tooling, we have to express those graphically before we actually have a final production piece to photograph. If, when we receive the first batch of production knives, we're not satisfied, we keep working until we are satisfied. It's a dynamic process often fraught with unexpected challenges. That's why when people demand to know when a new product will be available, we typically can't be too specific. We're not being evasive; we're just committed to getting it right. How long does that take? As long as it takes...

Thank you for your understanding and continued passion for our products!

Stay safe,

Mike
sal

Post by sal »

Mike,

Thanx much.

sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:37 pm
Hey, All:

The first photo was in fact a Photoshopped rendering that was created before we had a production sample of the SpyderEdge Delica 4 Wharncliffe in hand. We had already decided to produce it, had placed the purchase order, and were working on marketing materials--all well before the wheel was made to grind the serrations on production blades. Our graphic artist took a photo of a PlainEdge version and did his magic to it, using his best judgment and artistic skills. That photo became the "official" product photo for that knife and was made available to all our authorized dealers. Ebayers then poached that photo from us--and them--to use in their listings.

Once a knife is actually released, we shoot new photos of actual production samples and update our master files, which feed our catalog and are made available to our dealers so they have the option to update theirs. Sometimes, however, a knife may "fall through the cracks" on that process. That's what happened here.

First and foremost, thank you for pointing this out. Now that we know, we'll get it fixed.

Second, the knife you received is, in fact, completely legit. I know because that's my standard "back-pocket" carry knife. Its serration pattern has five large scallops and starts and ends with a large scallop.

Finally, hopefully this gives a little insight into the challenges we face when it comes to releasing new products. Quite often, prototypes are not 100% accurate. If we make any minor tweaks between the final prototype and the first samples made on actual production tooling, we have to express those graphically before we actually have a final production piece to photograph. If, when we receive the first batch of production knives, we're not satisfied, we keep working until we are satisfied. It's a dynamic process often fraught with unexpected challenges. That's why when people demand to know when a new product will be available, we typically can't be too specific. We're not being evasive; we're just committed to getting it right. How long does that take? As long as it takes...

Thank you for your understanding and continued passion for our products!

Stay safe,

Mike

Thank you Mike for filling in the blanks and clarifying what I was certainly scratching my head over, I super appreciate it! I wasn't concerned that the one I received was counterfeit in any way, it just didn't look like the stock photo I'd seen all over the place. I'm stoked to hear that you are a user of this knife, I have to say that for now it & my Lil' Matriarch are my secondary EDC pretty much all the time. They are both pretty new to me but the more I use both of them the more I like them... TA!

Cheers,

John
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

You're very welcome, John!

I hope it serves you well!

Stay safe,

Mike