Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by kennethsime »

I feel reassured by everyone else's positive comments about the polish. I'm in for it; especially in green. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

polish away Sal
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:41 am
While studying the possibility of a Micarta / Cruwear Proficient, and working up quotes, we learned that the best way to make the model is to polish the handle like the Bushcraft and the Carbon handle of the S90 version. The original plan was to bead blast the Micarta, but that creates other problems. SSssoooo....Is a polished handle a deal breaker for those interested in this version? Should we abandon the project?

sal
not a deal breaker for me, Sal. I'll blast it myself :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm
I feel reassured by everyone else's positive comments about the polish. I'm in for it; especially in green. :-)
Yes to green! My favorite color. :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I would still be interested! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Polished is fine with me!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:31 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm
Yes to green! My favorite color. :D
Polished and Green...”If you build it they will come!” Plus, it will fit nicely in my new sheath :D

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'd love to have a blank available to play with.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Its so sad that even right now I know that this will be outside my price range :(

I would love to see something like a Proficient in a affordable package.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pancake,

What would you consider affordable? These days, it seems that affordable means made in China.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

How has the Bow River fared, sales wise? Isn’t that a budget Sprig?

I like the idea of the same knife in both affordable and premium versions, so even skint folk can enjoy good design - a budget Proficient style Bushcraft blade would be very appealing until I could afford the full monty.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here we go again.

I obviously don’t represent the market because the South Fork did not sell well and the Bow River appears to be selling well. I bought a Southfork and did not buy a Bow River.

If this knife moves towards a budget knife I am out. I already wish it could be made in Golden, moving it to mainland China with 8cr13 would 100% be a deal breaker.

That said, if that is what folks really want then go for it. I just want Spyderco to succeed and I already have all my knife needs covered.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I'm so in on fixed blade Spyderco in Cruwear!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 pm
Here we go again.

I obviously don’t represent the market because the South Fork did not sell well and the Bow River appears to be selling well. I bought a Southfork and did not buy a Bow River.

If this knife moves towards a budget knife I am out. I already wish it could be made in Golden, moving it to mainland China with 8cr13 would 100% be a deal breaker.

That said, if that is what folks really want then go for it. I just want Spyderco to succeed and I already have all my knife needs covered.
It seems like there are other US-made fixed blades with micarta and cruwear in the $175-$250 price range. I'd definitely bite in that range.
- Julia

sal

Post by sal »

This happens to be my project and has been since the original "Bushcraft", That UK Ken asked us to make. Then the "Proficient", which was the result of Forumites asking for a more Modern version than Spalted Maple or G-10 with O1, but with Chris Claycomb's excellent handle design. So we made the Proficient with CPM-S90V and solid Carbon fiber. We jokingly called it the "NASA version", A real classic that I personally bought 10 of to use as gifts in the future, as it probably won't go more than one run.

Then Darby started talking about a version with more of an all around user with less expensive materials then the Proficient. That's how we ended up with Micarta and CPM Cruwear. We're currently involved in getting a quote for that version. I don't know if it will be much cheaper, but I'm with you on the version. The tooling for the Claycomb handle was expensive as was the actual machining. If we can make it and cost works out, I think it will be another Classic.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Julia,

The engineering was done in Taichung. Quite a bit of work and the tooling and machining was also done in Taichung. I don't think it would be fair to take away the project from the maker after all of their investment in the work being done there, besides their great skill.

We try very hard to be a loyal and an honorable company. Not as common as you'd think these days.

On another point. We put a plastic sleeve in the original sheath to keep the knife from going through the sheath. The sheath is quite thick so I removed the sleeve from my sheath because I prefer the knife to sit lower in the sheath. Chris Claycomb also felt it would be more secure sitting lower. Your out in the bush with this knife and losing it would be a real problem.

I told the maker to leave the sleeve out of this version. What are your thoughts?

sal
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I say no sleeve. Sitting lower in sheath is definitely something I prefer. But I also appreciate the pocket sheaths. Like at Knivesshipfree. Those things are awesome and work so well. I'd definitely appreciate something more along those lines than a sheath on the belt.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

For me personally I love the way the Proficient sits down in that leather sheath.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

Hi LegOF,

You prefer the way it sits down in the sheath with or without the sleeve? Without the sleeve, it sits lower, but it' not as convenient to retrieve.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:47 pm
Hi Julia,

The engineering was done in Taichung. Quite a bit of work and the tooling and machining was also done in Taichung. I don't think it would be fair to take away the project from the maker after all of their investment in the work being done there, besides their great skill.

We try very hard to be a loyal and an honorable company. Not as common as you'd think these days.

On another point. We put a plastic sleeve in the original sheath to keep the knife from going through the sheath. The sheath is quite thick so I removed the sleeve from my sheath because I prefer the knife to sit lower in the sheath. Chris Claycomb also felt it would be more secure sitting lower. Your out in the bush with this knife and losing it would be a real problem.

I told the maker to leave the sleeve out of this version. What are your thoughts?

sal
Of course. Brain fart: I'd just forgotten the model was made in Taichung rather than Golden. I have no bias there - both factories produce knives that I love.

As for the sheath, I'm with the others above: I'd prefer the deeper fit without the sleeve. I've also had issues with hard plastic sleeves scratching up a knife. I'm sure Taichung took greater care to smooth any rough edges on their sleeves, but I'd still rather just have leather.
- Julia