Watu - aftermarket scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby foofie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:13 pm

I know the Watu was only recently released - just asking if anyone is aware of any aftermarket scales yet?

I really like the knife. There is something about the laminated CF that doesn't sit right with me. It looks fine and it feels fine - I just don't like it. As an example, I now love my Smock after changing to micarta scales.

So - any options out there?
I would also consider one-off custom scale makers if anyone has any recommendations?

Thank you.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3421
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby JuPaul » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:18 pm

I'd also be interested...haven't seen any yet, though. I'd probably already have a Watu if it had g10 scales with some kind of color. I think it'd look really cool with pakkawood scales, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 pm

I've been looking, but haven't found any yet.

foofie
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby foofie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:34 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:18 pm
I'd also be interested...haven't seen any yet, though. I'd probably already have a Watu if it had g10 scales with some kind of color. I think it'd look really cool with pakkawood scales, too.
Yes - I normally love micarta - but I think wood would fit well with the ethnic series design behind this knife. I was dreaming of spalted maple ;)

Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby Spydergirl88 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Yeah I would totally buy some without holes

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:57 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I was thinking of a hole delete. Honestly, I think this one is going to end up being carried clipless in the back pocket. The detent on mine is quite stiff, but it has the smoothest action of any comp lock I've ever had out of any factory.

Maybe on my next one, this one was Shanghaied by my wife. Haha

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3421
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby JuPaul » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:57 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I was thinking of a hole delete. Honestly, I think this one is going to end up being carried clipless in the back pocket. The detent on mine is quite stiff, but it has the smoothest action of any comp lock I've ever had out of any factory.

Maybe on my next one, this one was Shanghaied by my wife. Haha
That's awesome. :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 am

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:57 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I was thinking of a hole delete. Honestly, I think this one is going to end up being carried clipless in the back pocket. The detent on mine is quite stiff, but it has the smoothest action of any comp lock I've ever had out of any factory.

Maybe on my next one, this one was Shanghaied by my wife. Haha
That's awesome. :D
She didn't even fiddle with it. Just saw it and stuck out her hand. :p

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3421
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby JuPaul » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:24 am

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:57 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I was thinking of a hole delete. Honestly, I think this one is going to end up being carried clipless in the back pocket. The detent on mine is quite stiff, but it has the smoothest action of any comp lock I've ever had out of any factory.

Maybe on my next one, this one was Shanghaied by my wife. Haha
That's awesome. :D
She didn't even fiddle with it. Just saw it and stuck out her hand. :p
Sometimes sacrifices to the spouse gods must be made!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13806
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby sal » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:50 am

The Brits on their forums refer to the wife as "SWMBO". She who must be obeyed. :cool:

sal

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2231
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby curlyhairedboy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:10 am

I've been considering some of the aftermarket carbon fiber options for this knife as well. Burl would be nice too.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
JustinB
Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby JustinB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:25 am

I don't have a Watu (yet :D) but some kind of wood scales would be pretty cool
Justin :spyder:

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:25 am

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:50 am
The Brits on their forums refer to the wife as "SWMBO". She who must be obeyed. :cool:

sal
Haha! Smart men know, you must take the brownie points when they're offered(I bought a Ti Military soon after... Shh!).

:D

foofie
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby foofie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:07 am

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 am

Maybe on my next one, this one was Shanghaied by my wife. Haha

She didn't even fiddle with it. Just saw it and stuck out her hand. :p
She obviously didn't read the whole form vs function thread!
See - we can have both, and the Watu is a great example :D

foofie
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby foofie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:10 am

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I am tempted to try and make my first set of scales - and was debating between "holey" and "non-holey"
What do you dislike about the holes?

foofie
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby foofie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:11 am

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:24 am
Sometimes sacrifices to the spouse gods must be made!
I may have found my signature line quote... :p

Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby Spydergirl88 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 am

foofie wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:10 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I am tempted to try and make my first set of scales - and was debating between "holey" and "non-holey"
What do you dislike about the holes?
Limits aftermarket clip options bc some clips "fall" into the hole

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:16 am

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 am
foofie wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:10 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I am tempted to try and make my first set of scales - and was debating between "holey" and "non-holey"
What do you dislike about the holes?
Limits aftermarket clip options bc some clips "fall" into the hole
I'm honestly thinking about deleting the clip altogether. If the detent on the next one is as strong as this one, I will.

foofie
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby foofie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:17 am

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 am
foofie wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:10 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I am tempted to try and make my first set of scales - and was debating between "holey" and "non-holey"
What do you dislike about the holes?
Limits aftermarket clip options bc some clips "fall" into the hole
Good point. As much as I love my wire clip - it's the milling for the wire clip that is giving me the most pause about making my own scales.

foofie
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Postby foofie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 am
foofie wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:10 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Yeah I would totally buy some without holes
I am tempted to try and make my first set of scales - and was debating between "holey" and "non-holey"
What do you dislike about the holes?
Limits aftermarket clip options bc some clips "fall" into the hole
Good point. As much as I love my wire clip - it's the milling for the wire clip that is giving me the most pause about making my own scales. Also, the scales are so thin that I worry the wire cip would crack the grooves the first time it got torqued (if using wood). g10 would be safer.

-sorry, poorly done edit-


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Igi964, Jurphaas, Librarian, Majestic-12 [Bot], tonijedi and 62 guests