First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Post by marshmallow »

The Para 3 SPY27, the steel is very light. I read around the forum and have read the steel is new and is similar to S30V and VGN, but it is definitely lighter in weight. Very interesting steel. I’m still getting used to the finger flick on the action as since the steel is lighter, it requires more flicking action to catch. I’m sure it’ll get more easier, but these are my first impressions.
"stay puft."
Sharp Guy

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mine's on the way. I'll put it on the scale and compare with the BD1N & M390 versions.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

marshmallow wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:17 pm
The Para 3 SPY27, the steel is very light. I read around the forum and have read the steel is new and is similar to S30V and VGN, but it is definitely lighter in weight. Very interesting steel. I’m still getting used to the finger flick on the action as since the steel is lighter, it requires more flicking action to catch. I’m sure it’ll get more easier, but these are my first impressions.
Interesting observation; I wouldn't think there'd be much weight difference in a given model.

My Rex45 P3LW took about a month or two of regular carry to break in without adjusting the pivot screw. It does get quite a bit better.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

The density of all steels is very similar (regardless of the alloy), so I wouldn’t expect SPY27 versions of existing knives to be significantly heavier of lighter (especially when compared to other high alloy martensitic stainless steels), unless the grind was different.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

marshmallow wrote:
Do you really think the steel is noticeable lighter than the CTS BD1N on the "regular" Para 3 LW? Almost can´t believe that. Going by the specs on the Spyderco page, both models weigh exactly the same.

Could it be that it´s just the action being a bit stiffer and the knife not as broken in that makes it less "flickable"?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Karl_H wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:31 pm
The density of all steels is very similar (regardless of the alloy), so I wouldn’t expect SPY27 versions of existing knives to be significantly heavier of lighter (especially when compared to other high alloy martensitic stainless steels), unless the grind was different.

Yeah, came to post this. You're not going to notice a weight difference in differing alloys. We're talking about small % changes of alloying elements here.

You're surely not going to pick up a para 3 LW in s30V and it feel "heavier" than the same knife in spy27. At least not due to the steel itself.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

The OP didn't make any actual observations about the steel. He made observations about the action on his new knife.

I came expecting to hear about some use. Some actual cutting. Not how easy it finger flicks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

marshmallow wrote:
It’s not the steel, it’s the knife design, but I can see how the knife could give that impression.

Let us know what you think of the steel regarding edge retention, ease of sharpening, and such stuff. We are all interested.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Yeah I'm not experienced in steel lol. I have a PM2 and Native5, but this is my first Para 3 LW. The steel may feel lighter due to no liner and FRN, but can it be the density is less than S30V? I compared it to my PM2 blade, although PM2 blade is slightly bigger, it just feels more dense. I don't know, I guess I'll let the experts handle this when someone gets the shipment in. I can say that it comes quite sharp from the factory; it cuts through cardboard very well.
"stay puft."
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

If it seems that the steel itself feels lighter could it possibly be due to a thinner grind resulting in less mass overall?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

marshmallow wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 am
Yeah I'm not experienced in steel lol. I have a PM2 and Native5, but this is my first Para 3 LW. The steel may feel lighter due to no liner and FRN, but can it be the density is less than S30V? I compared it to my PM2 blade, although PM2 blade is slightly bigger, it just feels more dense. I don't know, I guess I'll let the experts handle this when someone gets the shipment in. I can say that it comes quite sharp from the factory; it cuts through cardboard very well.
The steel is mostly the same. It’s the knife design that makes it feel that way. If you took the knives apart and weighed just the blades of the same type of knife in two different steelsyou would see.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

"When you hear hoof beats, think horses not zerbras"
-Theodore Woodword

While a persons first guess at any mystery or phenomenon is the more exciting and exotic one. The more mundane and obvious must be ruled out before coming to grandiose conclusions.

Don't be a Zerbra Hunter, use common sense :D

The Spy27 weights the same as other steels.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Haha! I’d not heard that one! True though....
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:34 am
Haha! I’d not heard that one! True though....
Yea man, it's a classic :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Does anyone have feedback from using the steel? I’m curious how it compares to some of the standard options like S30V and VG10.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Finishes nicely :D

blueblur wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:06 pm
Does anyone have feedback from using the steel? I’m curious how it compares to some of the standard options like S30V and VG10.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

In all seriousness, they weigh the same :D

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just spent 45 min in the garage cutting cardboard from my recycling bin into tiny pieces. Had a nice pile on the floor when I stopped. The factory edge held up well and was still going strong. I tested on some phone book paper and it was snagging a little but not bad. Then I whittled on some hardwood. The edge bit into it nicely. Tried the phone book paper again and it was back to slicing it clean. Still shaving arm hair too. I'm not really a good judge of edge retention because I use my knives until they feel dull and then I touch them up on the Sharpmaker or reprofile on the Hapstone if needed. What I did was hardly a scientific test either. But if I can cut up as much cardboard as I just did and it's still going strong then I'm satisfied. I'll be curious to see how it sharpens. I have a feeling it'll be similar to S35VN but that's just a guess at this point. I'll be interested in knowing what others think too. Also curious to know how hard they ran it (Shawn?). Looking forward to using this steel in the Manix 2 LW. My S110V Manix 2 LW probably won't be in my knife collection long after that one comes out :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 pm
I just spent 45 min in the garage cutting cardboard from my recycling bin into tiny pieces. Had a nice pile on the floor when I stopped. The factory edge held up well and was still going strong. I tested on some phone book paper and it was snagging a little but not bad. Then I whittled on some hardwood. The edge bit into it nicely. Tried the phone book paper again and it was back to slicing it clean. Still shaving arm hair too. I'm not really a good judge of edge retention because I use my knives until they feel dull and then I touch them up on the Sharpmaker or reprofile on the Hapstone if needed. What I did was hardly a scientific test either. But if I can cut up as much cardboard as I just did and it's still going strong then I'm satisfied. I'll be curious to see how it sharpens. I have a feeling it'll be similar to S35VN but that's just a guess at this point. I'll be interested in knowing what others think too. Also curious to know how hard they ran it (Shawn?). Looking forward to using this steel in the Manix 2 LW. My S110V Manix 2 LW probably won't be in my knife collection long after that one comes out :)
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
BigHonu

Post by BigHonu »

Great vid. 62HRC is not bad. You think it would do 15dps for general pocket knife duty?