Para 2/3 Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLJace

Para 2/3 Salt?

Post by BLJace »

Hey all,

So recently I got one of those fancy para 2s with the emerson wave. It's been my EDC now for about two weeks and really gave me an appreciation for the para 2. I also own a para 3 and prefer it's size. However, it is K390 and it's very humid here in Virginia. So my first few days carrying it, I saw more discoloration than I had time to deal with on a daily basis. This leads me to my question.

While I know H1 steel is amazing for it's rust resistance and holds an edge quite well. Lcn200 is even better from what I've heard. (never had the chance/good fortune to play with it). Do you think we'll ever see some of the bigger flagship models in LCN200 or H1? Like the Manix/Shaman/Military? Or the Para 2 and 3 like I mentioned?

I understand on knives of these sizes and cost that a "stainless" for lack of a better way to put it, isn't what most people would want or expect. Living in humid areas though where when I pull my knife out, I literally have to wipe the sweat from the blade. I would buy these in a heartbeat.

S30V is no slouch don't get me wrong. That's what most of these models come in on the base level. It holds an edge well and is pretty rust resistant. I'd be willing to take the time to sharpen more and lose a little more metal though, rather than worry about the damage I may see when I decide to use my knife the next time.

So those are my thoughts and reasoning process. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. Would anyone else be interested in some super rust proof "flagship" models?
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Re: Para 2/3 Salt?

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N THE WORLD!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I asked for a Para 3 LW Salt awhile back. Same size and class as the Native 5, just in a design I like better.

I'm excited for the rumored Para 2 LW, and would welcome a Salt adaptation of both.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

+1 on the para 3 lw/pm2 lw salt. I wouldn't turn up my nose at g10's with lc200n, either, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer a manix g10 salt.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd prefer a Manix LW salt, but I'd buy the G-10 Manix or the P3 LW in a salty (LC200N) version.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

H1 or LC200N would be great when the PM2 liner-less lightweight lockback comes out.

:)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLJace wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Hey all,

So recently I got one of those fancy para 2s with the emerson wave. It's been my EDC now for about two weeks and really gave me an appreciation for the para 2. I also own a para 3 and prefer it's size. However, it is K390 and it's very humid here in Virginia. So my first few days carrying it, I saw more discoloration than I had time to deal with on a daily basis. This leads me to my question.

While I know H1 steel is amazing for it's rust resistance and holds an edge quite well. Lcn200 is even better from what I've heard. (never had the chance/good fortune to play with it). Do you think we'll ever see some of the bigger flagship models in LCN200 or H1? Like the Manix/Shaman/Military? Or the Para 2 and 3 like I mentioned?

Perhaps the "regular" Para 3 LW or Manix 2 LW in BD1N would be rustproof enough for you already? I like that steel a lot more than I thought I would in my Manix LW, and no corrosion issues whatsoever so far...

Then there is the Native 5 Salt in LC 200 N. Imho a better design than the Para 3, other than its shorter cutting edge

The Caribbean in LC200 N has about the dimension of a PM2 and the same lock type, and even offers a lot more cutting edge..

Or you could go full SE (that´s what I´d do anyway), and with "teeth" H1 really becomes an amazing steel with great edge holding, and you could try Salt 2, Pac Salt, Tasman Salt.... in that steel - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:24 am
BLJace wrote:
Hey all,

Perhaps the "regular" Para 3 LW or Manix 2 LW in BD1N would be rustproof enough for you already? I like that steel a lot more than I thought I would in my Manix LW, and no corrosion issues whatsoever so far...

Then there is the Native 5 Salt in LC 200 N. Imho a better design than the Para 3, other than its shorter cutting edge

The Caribbean in LC200 N has about the dimension of a PM2 and the same lock type, and even offers a lot more cutting edge..

Or you could go full SE (that´s what I´d do anyway), and with "teeth" H1 really becomes an amazing steel with great edge holding, and you could try Salt 2, Pac Salt, Tasman Salt.... in that steel - ?!

I actually own a Manix LW in the BD1N (I think? it may be the earlier model with the CTS-BD1). I honestly can't say i've had any issues with it. I did find however, for my purposes it didn't hold an edge as well as the H1 salt endura I have. Which with the cost of both. I may as well go with the H1 endura salt. It has liners and a thinner profile.

I guess, I'm hoping for something "heavy duty" in the salt line up. Sharpening can be a chore yeah, so can oiling and drying though.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLJace wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
BLJace wrote:

I actually own a Manix LW in the BD1N (I think? it may be the earlier model with the CTS-BD1). I honestly can't say i've had any issues with it. I did find however, for my purposes it didn't hold an edge as well as the H1 salt endura I have. Which with the cost of both. I may as well go with the H1 endura salt. It has liners and a thinner profile.

I guess, I'm hoping for something "heavy duty" in the salt line up. Sharpening can be a chore yeah, so can oiling and drying though.

I had a Manix 2 LW in BD1, and now have one again in BD1N - I can tell you, in my experience there is a real difference when it comes to edge holding!!

I can recall that I was not overwhelmed with the edge retention on my old Manix 2 LW (BD1 - it was ok-ish), but my new one (BD1N) even puzzles me a bit in that regard, since it holds an edge noticeable longer than it "should" when I go by common steel comparison charts... So if yours is in the "old" Bd1, maybe you´d like to give a BD1N folder a try (Para 3 LW, since you like that model?)

/ What do you mean by "H1 Salt Endura"?! This must be the Pacific Salt (1 or 2), right? But then it certainly can not have liners.. there´s never been a "lined" "Salt" Endura, I am pretty sure...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:15 am
BLJace wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
BLJace wrote:

I had a Manix 2 LW in BD1, and now have one again in BD1N - I can tell you, in my experience there is a real difference when it comes to edge holding!!

I can recall that I was not overwhelmed with the edge retention on my old Manix 2 LW (BD1 - it was ok-ish), but my new one (BD1N) even puzzles me a bit in that regard, since it holds an edge noticeable longer than it "should" when I go by common steel comparison charts... So if yours is in the "old" Bd1, maybe you´d like to give a BD1N folder a try (Para 3 LW, since you like that model?)

/ What do you mean by "H1 Salt Endura"?! This must be the Pacific Salt (1 or 2), right? But then it certainly can not have liners.. there´s never been a "lined" "Salt" Endura, I am pretty sure...
You're probably right, it was a pacific salt 1 or 2. It's been a few years since I've used it. I passed it onto a friend. I remember it being around the same size as an endura.