First time you saw a Sypderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

First time you saw a Sypderco?

Post by samdasnake »

I was just sharpening and reminiscing and thought I'd share a fun memory with y'all. For some reason I can very clearly remember the first time I saw a Spyderco knife. I must have only been 9 or 10 in the really early 90s. I remember my best friend's older brother came home from going to get arrows for a bow hunt at Alabama Outdoors in Homewood, AL. He came into my buddy's bedroom to show use this cool knife his dad had bought him. It was a super early gen Ladybug and I remember him telling me a little about Spyderco at the time and I remember really wanting one of those knives. Weird thing to remember :) So I'm curious - do any of y'all have memories like this?
Evil D

Re: First time you saw a Sypderco?

Post by Evil D »

I was browsing the knife case at Walmart back when they sold the original Native LW. I was sold by the ergonomics and the "Glock like handle material". That was back around '05 or so. It wasn't until 2010 that I bought a Delica and my first post here was asking if it was a fake or not because I thought all Spyderco's were made in Golden (after only having owned the Native).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

In almost everything that I take up, I study fist. For edged tools, I started reading and lurking at all of the forums that I did not have to join. I also got a Blade Magazine subscription. Then I discovered Knife Center's "Find It" tab that allows you to search via an attribute. I poured over thousands of knives in the first few months.

Within a few months I was coming up to speed. The effort is what led me to Spyderco.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Knaf

Post by Knaf »

Mid 90s... I thought it was a dumb looking knife. Ugly blade shape with a hole in it... But then I grew up and became a knife collector.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I was visiting High School friends back in California around 1987 or '88. Went into a Pipe/Tobacco store in Carmel that had a knife display. Saw something other than the usual Buck 110s and Puma lockbacks. It had a stainless handle, pocketclip, and a serrated hawkbill blade with an opening hole. Bought it because it was just so different from anything else I'd ever seen. Couple years later I got a Delica & I've been a fan since.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

When I first got into knives I was reading about what knives are most recommended. I had 3 Kershaws because everyone knows Kershaw, but people were talking about spyderco (tenacious) and benchmades Griptilian. Well, the grip was too much, but the tenacious was affordable. I was hooked after that.

Now I have a Griptilian as well... And it also has a hole in the blade lol!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

My brother had an OG Delica that was probably the first Spyderco I saw, but when I held the Sage1 for the first time that moment ignited a knife hobby. I had been carrying a knife since I was single digits, but that experience threw me down the rabbit hole.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

First time I saw a spyderco was in a gunshop in the early 90s. SE Looked ferocious and odd. Took a year or so, but finally bought one. Then it clicked. Had a very very slim wenger or victorinox knife from the 80s that was pretty much worn out, and that first dragonfly took its spot and then some.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Back in the early 80's I used to see a Spyderco ad in most of the gun magazines I'd read. I recall the Worker and thought " Where is the wood for the grips?" The blade shape was pretty cool though unusual and I remember being intrigued by the opening hole . I recall seeing them in magazine ads for years before I actually got to pick one up and hold it in my hand. When I did see one in person I bought it on the spot ( $32 at a gunshow) and have had a Spyderco of one kind or another in my pocket ever since. That had to be 1992 as that was the year I bought my first Endura which was also my first Spyderco. An FRN G2 ( Gin 1 steel) model which I still have and is still carry able though the FRN clip is no longer usable.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Fire the time I saw one in person was at a gun show as well. Bought a stainless Jester for like 30 bucks lol. That was about 2005 or 06.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knaf,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I saw my first one in the late 80’s in Decatur or Huntsville, Alabama. It had a weird hole in the funky blade and a metal handle. It wasn’t cheap. I did not buy one until the mid 90s. I got it in the Birmingham area while in grad school.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Went looking online for a serrated knife because serrated knives are epic, and also I knew I liked knives but really wasn't feeling the Benchmade my Dad had bought me a few years back. Read lots of reviews, discovered Spyderco, decided on the full-serrated blackout lightweight Native, traded the Benchmade back to my Dad in exchange for the Native. When it arrived, the lock ws so stiff I had trouble operating the thing, but with time and love, it broke in well enough.

These days I carry the Amalgam and the '98 Rescue because I've discovered that they work better for me in a lot of ways. Still love teeth and full blackout blades though.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the first time i saw a spyderco was a ladybug in the early 90s, hence the name. it became my first knife as a kid. i remember seeing an endura in cliffhanger that year and thinking it was cool that i had a knife like they used in the movie. i wish i still had that knife. my first spyderco homecoming knife (after years of other brands) was my pacific salt, which i’ve always thought of as kind of a grown up version of my first knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Heh, I've actually looked back on this moment and laughed.

I remember when I was in high school. My Dad came and had shown me a knife. I had considered myself a "knife collector" at that point, and pretty much based my stance on the heavier they are, the better they are.

What he had actually shown me was a delica, I wish I had paid enough attention to know exactly what model (this was late 90s early 2000s). I brushed it off as a cheap knife because it was light weight. After all, my knife had a dragon on it and weighed four times as much. The things you learn right?

A few years later I slowly enter the knife world. I start with the basic Kershaws. Looking for something a little better it lead me to the Delica. Realizing what my dad had shown me years ago and never appreciating what it was. I found many of my favorite models. Now I tend to carry a Manix 2 or Shaman with an endura as a back up.

That first Spyderco though? It was a black Delica, texture on the scales was entirely different than the Delica 4s now. Pocket clip too. I didn't get why my Dad was so impressed by it.... I do now.

(to brag a little, Now my dad carries an M390 manix, with micarta wood scales, a ceramic ball bearing, and a deep carry clip reading "POPS") I can't let the guy who lead me to my biggest hobby run around with something basic can I?
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Been carrying a knife since the mid 1950's, but I didn't discover Spyderco knives until 2003, so I was fairly late to the party. Might still be carrying a Buck Prince, but I was reading Hannibal and came across a reference to several Spyderco knives. Wasn't sure if they were something real, or just a brand Thomas Harris made up. Got on my computer and Googled the name, and the rest is history.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Sometime in the early 1980's at the Del Mar Fair in San Diego, CA.

I think I bought my first Spyderco at the fair.

I do remember someone, who I'm pretty sure was Sal, giving my Spyderco a touch up on a Sharpmaker at the fair a year or two later.

That was probably when I bought my first Sharpmaker.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I've first seen a Spydie maybe around 2014 when I was browsing through the Böker webshop, and believe it or not, I thought it looked ugly! :eek: It wasn't love at first sight. Eventually I purchased my first spydie, a pre-owned Pacific Salt, and came to prefer the spydiehole over thumb studs. The spydiehole was what bit me. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

It was one of the Q variants at a gunshow.

In my ignorance at the time, I thought it looked cheap and gimmicky.

I wanted a single folding knife for hunting bunnies and foxes with and had heard good things about the ZDP189 Delica, but when I looked at that, it also looked overpriced at well over $100 for what seemed like plasticky handles.

It took a while longer - and after being disappointed by a couple of semi worthless knives from another US knife company - before I decided to try a VG10 Delica with grey FRN handles from a gunstore because it had the same steel as some of my Japanese kitchen knives.

That knife was a revelation to me - the first time I had experienced a tool that could be set up for left handers, the clip carry, the light weight, the one hand opening and closing, the great ergonomics and steel. I was hooked!

I still have that knife although it looks a little different these days:

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I got a job at a small specialty cutlery store while I was in college. We sold more Benchmade and Kershaw than Spydercos, and I thought my first knife would be a BM 940. I won't lie, I initially thought Spydercos looked fugly. The more I played with the Spydercos the more and more attracted I became to the round hole, thinly-ground blades, and lightweight handles of the Seki line. I ended up with a ZDP-189 Stretch, perhaps the fugliest of the standard Spydercos. I still haven't purchased a folding knife from another manufacturer since (ok, maybe a Swiss Army Knife).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.