Caribbean at last

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kesson

Re: Caribbean at last

Post by Kesson »

I have a sheepsfoot SE and a leaf PE.

Both are highly functional but I think the SE gets the nod for cutting power. It just tears through material. It's become my favored landscaping knife. Makes me want more SE knives in my collection. The LC200N steel definitely seems to roll easier than something like s30v let alone a good tool steel. It's easy to sharpen on the sharpmaker though.

Compared to the Golden compression lock knives the Caribbean is much less fidget friendly and fun to play with. It lacks the solid thwack when flicking it open and the blade won't drop shut unless you loosen the pivot too much for my liking. Even the Kapara has better action although it's also not up to the level of a pm2 as far as flickability in my opinion.

Overall it's a good knife and both the PE and SE pack a lot of cutting power into a pretty light and functional package. I don't know how well this knife sells for spyderco but I think there is some really good aspects that I would like to see on future knives. It makes my Manix and PM2 feel short and my Shaman overly thick and blunt in comparison.

If spyderco was to make a successor or something in the same vein I would like to see improved lock/detent action and maybe a less divisive aesthetic (the yellow has grown on me but I can't say I love it). Blade length, shape and thickness are perfect. Slicey but not fragile. I think the handle is really comfy and I love the full length cutting edge. I'd sacrifice the forward and rear guards a bit to improve the carry-ability of the knife to make it more of an all-rounder.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the update!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Overall I am very pleased that I went with the serrated. I was on the fence and Evil D pushed me over to the SE side. Thank you, David!

(I was gonna go with Vader but let's be honest I probably look more like ol' Palpatine lol)

Poly film is really odd stuff, I just made a post about that recently in another thread. Cutting that stuff clean takes a very sharp edge, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if PE got snaggy while cutting it. Sharpness is the biggest controllable aspect of all this...snagging is going to become an issue the more dull you let the blade get. As you mentioned with cutting the corrugated, the teeth tend to grab and track what you're cutting and resist slipping...and that's exactly what causes the snagging when the edge starts to dull. The difference between PE is that it will still get the cut done, while PE at a certain point (and certain media being cut) will start sliding off and that's the end of it.

Even a very sharp SE will get grabby depending on how you're holding and making the cut, if the teeth make contact with part of what you're trying to cut they're going to want to dig in and start cutting. If you wanna do a fun little visual experiment with this, get an empty water bottle and push cut into the side of it like you're carving a stick. If you're slow enough you can see each tooth individually start initiating cuts and then the scallops between the teeth start slicing outward from the teeth. When cutting something like that poly film, I've found that I can lock it into one serration and get clean cuts that way.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that Sal started out as a Pitchman (lol), but he wasn't BS'ing when he described SE as having infinite cutting angles.
viewtopic.php?p=1408197#p1408197
Last edited by Evil D on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

also, spyderco leaves a perfect amount of the tip as plain edge. it works great for most of those types of applications.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I trimmed our bougainvillea shrubs yesterday before work. A few tendrils missed by the hedger were trimmed with the Caribbean. I really like the SE performance, plan to touch it up this weekend.

Edited to add: just remembered that I cut a strip off a carpet square to use as a vibration isolator where two ducts cross one another (shop dust collection system). My client told me he didn’t have anything to “cut it on.” I told him, “No worry. I’ll cut it in the air.” And I did, just hanging off the edge of his workbench. Like butter.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

One thing I really like with SE is that I can initiate a cut through tape on a box, for example, using the belly instead of the tip. I tuned up the edge on the white rods Sunday, came to realize the serrations are ground at 15 degrees and are slightly hollow ground. My SM at the 30 setting was polishing the edge and the back of the scallops at the same time, leaving the middle part untouched.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Typically, I’m late to the party, having just acquired a Caribbean leaf PE.

First impressions are very positive in hand. I didn’t think I’d find a better fit than my Manix BL, but yep, the Caribbean is better.

As I’m sure someone said, it feels like the love-child of a PM2 and Tenacious which is fine by me.

The detent is a little weak for my preference, but I can see that the ceramic ball barely engages the detent hole, so I will dig out my pin-vice and Dremel burrs at the weekend and see if I can improve it a little.
razehound

Post by razehound »

I got my Caribbean very used, even had rusted liners (none on the blade tho). So very broken in. Still wasn't drop shutty, and overall not much fidget factor.

I did increase the detent with a dremel, which helped multitudes. Then I polished the washers and blade pivot area.

Now it has a very satisfying flick, and is so close to Golden level of smooth with no blade play.

https://imgur.com/YgWTrG8
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

razehound wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:37 pm
I got my Caribbean very used, even had rusted liners (none on the blade tho). So very broken in. Still wasn't drop shutty, and overall not much fidget factor.

I did increase the detent with a dremel, which helped multitudes. Then I polished the washers and blade pivot area.

Now it has a very satisfying flick, and is so close to Golden level of smooth with no blade play.

https://imgur.com/YgWTrG8
That’s a nice looking knife!
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Im late to the party with this one too but im thrilled with my leaf PE.
Having one of my own to try out, is very different to just flicking around my bro's leaf PE for a few minutes, I have a much better appreciation for it now.

Its close to being perfect.

Mine came with very good finishing, the detent seems fairly firm which is great.
Excellent grind, but its a very fine line with dialing the blade in so there's no side to side play without making the action a little stiff, but ive got it pretty good.

The way the liners are nestled into the scales is brilliant, one of its best features.

The overall looks are brilliant, some don't like the black and yellow but I reckon it looks awesome, got a 70s vibe for mine with the pattern.
It feels light for its size.

One of the only small areas it doesn't shine imo, is in its grip.
Its got ok forwards and backwards grip ,but up and down it can be very slippery, ive already trialed it in salt and fresh water with a bare hand, not gloved.
The black shiny g10 is slip city, with sweaty or greasy hands its the same.
This is definitely not the knife for Shibazz's vaseline factory but no deal breaker.
Reality is it looks so cool I suppose im ok with it, but I feel having a cross or diamond type pattern carved in may have helped this.

All in all its a fantastic knife, I give it a solid 9/10, dropping 1 point for grip factor.

Probably the best value Spyderco I have and I really appreciate the design and execution.

Very satisfying knife I'll be keeping, appreciating and using for a lifetime, thanks Sal, great design and a knife of old school beauty.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:28 am
Having one of my own to try out, is very different to just flicking around my bro's leaf PE for a few minutes, I have a much better appreciation for it now.

Mine came with very good finishing, the detent seems fairly firm which is great.
Excellent grind, but its a very fine line with dialing the blade in so there's no side to side play without making the action a little stiff, but ive got it pretty good.

The way the liners are nestled into the scales is brilliant, one of its best features.

The overall looks are brilliant, some don't like the black and yellow but I reckon it looks awesome, got a 70s vibe for mine with the pattern.

Its got ok forwards and backwards grip ,but up and down it can be very slippery, ive already trialed it in salt and fresh water with a bare hand, not gloved.
This is definitely not the knife for Shibazz's vaseline factory but no deal breaker.
Reality is it looks so cool I suppose im ok with it, but I feel having a cross or diamond type pattern carved in may have helped this.

EDIT, sorry, I quoted myself lol.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would love to see them replace the G10 scales with some bi-directional FRN scales and leave everything else the same.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Salty Dog wrote:

All in all its a fantastic knife, I give it a solid 9/10, dropping 1 point for grip factor.

Probably the best value Spyderco I have and I really appreciate the design and execution.

Very satisfying knife I'll be keeping, appreciating and using for a lifetime, thanks Sal, great design and a knife of old school beauty.
Glad you like it. It's been an amazing knife to use these past few years.

Personally, I liked the grip better the way it is. In my eyes, the grasping of my hand prevents up and down slip.

I actually prefer my knives to be a bit smoother. This one was one of the better showcases of what I like.
It was smooth and grippy. The grabby pattern was a nice change of pace from some of the peel-ply pocket destroyers.

It has "the grip, without the rip.". But, I can see where you are coming from. I just have not had any issues with vertical slippage, throughout my usage.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:43 am
I would love to see them replace the G10 scales with some bi-directional FRN scales and leave everything else the same.
Yeah that would be very nice Evil, might lose a bit of its unique charm though.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:53 am
Salty Dog wrote:

Glad you like it. It's been an amazing knife to use these past few years.

Personally, I liked the grip better the way it is. In my eyes, the grasping of my hand prevents up and down slip.

I actually prefer my knives to be a bit smoother. This one was one of the better showcases of what I like.
It was smooth and grippy. The grabby pattern was a nice change of pace from some of the peel-ply pocket destroyers.

It has "the grip, without the rip.". But, I can see where you are coming from. I just have not had any issues with vertical slippage, throughout my usage.
Fair points mate, understand why you like it and don't get me wrong, I like the grip, feels nice in the hand, just thought it could have been a bit grippier, but that's just personal.
Im really thrilled with it.
The type of knife I feel like ive really got something for my money.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Twiddled a tapered burr in the detent hole, and now no more weak detent! I put in a little detent ball ramp whilst I was in there, as well.

The action on this has continued to smooth out and is just lovely. The Caribbean really is a treasure.
archangel

Post by archangel »

At last, me too! ;)

Got mine today, and had some time to finger and flick it. It's a fine knife! I like them large, so... :winking-tongue

I have to admit that I prefer blades with finger choil. So honestly I doubt that the Caribbean will become one of my ATFs. But it will be carried, and used if needed.

Question: the blade on mine is not swinging freely when the lock is being pushed, like my PM2 and Para 3 do for example. Is it just a matter of time, and breaking in? How's yours?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Perish the thought.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

archangel wrote: At last, me too! ;)

Got mine today, and had some time to finger and flick it. It's a fine knife! I like them large, so... :winking-tongue

I have to admit that I prefer blades with finger choil. So honestly I doubt that the Caribbean will become one of my ATFs. But it will be carried, and used if needed.

Question: the blade on mine is not swinging freely when the lock is being pushed, like my PM2 and Para 3 do for example. Is it just a matter of time, and breaking in? How's yours?
All caribbeans are like that. If you squeeze the handle, or really even put pressure on the scales with your fingers, it puts pressure on the pivot and keeps the knife from dropping shut. If you hold it very loosely, which I dont recommend, it may drop shut.

I dont know if the pivot is different or... ?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:35 pm
Evil D wrote:
Perish the thought.
I am actually in the "great thought" camp...;)

But perhaps with that "Leaf Jumper XL" we'll get kind of an FRN Caribbean anyway, plus the (for me) substantial bonus of a backlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)