Spydeco Knife & Gun's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pokey

Re: Spydeco Knife & Gun's

Post by Pokey »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 am
MacLaren wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:51 am
Hi Darby,
Is that Smith made out of Scandium?
Yup, sure is. Model 360. All the 300 series guns are scandium airweights. The barrel and cylinder are stainless I believe.
Actually, the S&W Scandium Airweights, and all of the S&W scandium pistols, are aluminum alloy with a pinch of scandium in it. They aren't made of scandium. Here's a link to the patent that S&W held. (holds?)

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6711819B2/en

Alloys used in firearms are just like alloys in knife blades. In blades, add a or take out touch of this element or that element and you can increase toughness, hardness, edge retention, sharpen-ability, edge smoothness, grind-ability etc.

When you fire a firearm the metal takes a pounding. It stretches, twists, distorts, etc. Steel firearms do this, and aluminum being softer, distorts easier. Over time the metal wants to stay stretched, twisted, or distorted to the point of cracking and breaking. Scandium makes the metal return to its original machined dimensions longer.

On a slightly different topic, I spoke to a gunsmith years ago about tuning up a Colt Detective Special for me. There weren't a lot of Colt revolver gunsmiths out there then, fewer, if any now. He said he didn't work on Colt's anymore because they're a pain in the butt. He said the first thing a gunsmith would do to tune up a worn Colt was to give the back of the grip frame a good whack with a plastic hammer. He said Colts that were shot a lot hand frames that would bend upward, from recoil, at the top of the grip. Whacking the grip frame a couple of times would bring it back to "factory spec." Because Colt internal parts were hand-fitted there were 18 (?) internal parts that you now had to check to make sure the timing was right. If you touched up one part you had to touch up some of the others to get them to play nice. When one part got worn it would throw the timing out, and the bent frame only made things worse.

So, Darby's 360 would last much longer than my 442 Airweight, (no scandium,) even with a steady diet of just .38 +P's.
Last edited by Pokey on Sun May 31, 2020 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was aware that it is a scandium/aluminum alloy.

I was unaware that some of the airweights didn’t have scandium added. I guess that explains why the 360 costs twice as much as the 442?

Why is the 317 kit gun so expensive? It probably doesn’t have scandium added?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:04 am

I was unaware that some of the airweights didn’t have scandium added. I guess that explains why the 360 costs twice as much as the 442?

First off, let me apologize, Darby. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence.

I think if one spends any amount of time here on the Spyderco forums reading about how this steel works well doing this or that steel works well doing that you have a better understanding of metal alloys, even without a formal education in materials.

A while back I read a post by a member of the Smith & Wesson forum state that his XXX was made out of Scandium, he didn't realize it was aluminum alloy with a pinch of scandium. I posted the same link for the patent on that forum; he really did think his S&W was 100% scandium. I think he got scalped by a dealer on the price and he was a bit miffed when he read the patent. But, a Scandium Airweight will last longer.

There was at one time a method to S&W's pistol numbering system. If the model # started with a "6" the frame was made of stainless steel, a "1" was carbon steel. Models starting in "3" were kind of a special alloy like scandium. (360, 329,(OUCH! :eek: )) In later years the S&W numbering system kinda went sideways. My black 442 Airweight has their "plain" aluminum alloy frame w/ stainless barrel and cylinder. The silver looking 642 Airweight is their "plain" aluminum alloy frame w/ stainless barrel and cylinder. Two different models, one is black and the other silver.

I'm not sure why the 317 is so expensive. From looking at the S&W website it doesn't mention scandium, but the 317 does have adjustable sights and a fiber optic front sight. Maybe those additional features make the difference?
bearfacedkiller

No need to apologize my friend. You are sharing knowledge which is an under appreciated form of generosity in my opinion. You taught me something I didn’t already know. Thanks.

Also, I am an Irish kid from Boston. I am not easily insulted or offended. You didn’t say anything bad about my mother or any of the Boston sports teams so we are all good!!! :D Crocodiles wish they had skin as thick as mine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 am
No need to apologize my friend. You are sharing knowledge which is an under appreciated form of generosity in my opinion. You taught me something I didn’t already know. Thanks.

Also, I am an Irish kid from Boston. I am not easily insulted or offended. You didn’t say anything bad about my mother or any of the Boston sports teams so we are all good!!! :D Crocodiles wish they had skin as thick as mine.
Haha.

I dare someone to say something about Larry!
Them's fighting words for this Hoosier.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Nothing but love for “The Hick from French Lick”!!!!
-Darby
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Spydiechef and my all stainless Sig Sauer P220. I tuned up her trigger and internals Shortly after buying her. She is crisp and has always been 100% reliable. My sidearm is just as sharp as my Spydiechef. Both are my constant companions.
CCD2035E-63C8-46D5-91F3-C794D972DDF4.jpeg
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:20 am
Nothing but love for “The Hick from French Lick”!!!!
I've still got a shirt from the 1988 All Stars game, somewhere around here. Bird, Jordan, Ewing, Barkley, etc.

Now, back on topic.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

7974B8C4-F4A0-48D8-B042-B244B15EE2A4.jpeg
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Pokey wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:49 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:04 am

First off, let me apologize, Darby. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence.

I think if one spends any amount of time here on the Spyderco forums reading about how this steel works well doing this or that steel works well doing that you have a better understanding of metal alloys, even without a formal education in materials.

A while back I read a post by a member of the Smith & Wesson forum state that his XXX was made out of Scandium, he didn't realize it was aluminum alloy with a pinch of scandium. I posted the same link for the patent on that forum; he really did think his S&W was 100% scandium. I think he got scalped by a dealer on the price and he was a bit miffed when he read the patent. But, a Scandium Airweight will last longer.

There was at one time a method to S&W's pistol numbering system. If the model # started with a "6" the frame was made of stainless steel, a "1" was carbon steel. Models starting in "3" were kind of a special alloy like scandium. (360, 329,(OUCH! :eek: )) In later years the S&W numbering system kinda went sideways. My black 442 Airweight has their "plain" aluminum alloy frame w/ stainless barrel and cylinder. The silver looking 642 Airweight is their "plain" aluminum alloy frame w/ stainless barrel and cylinder. Two different models, one is black and the other silver.

I'm not sure why the 317 is so expensive. From looking at the S&W website it doesn't mention scandium, but the 317 does have adjustable sights and a fiber optic front sight. Maybe those additional features make the difference?
The 317 has an aluminum frame, not scandium alloy. It has an aluminum cylinder, and a steel sleeved aluminum barrel. Those two differences, and the lack of high demand for j frame lightweight 22lr revolvers are why they cost more.

The aluminum cylinder can handle 22lr pressures, though iirc s&w advises not to use cci stingers. After a couple thousand rounds, you will notice wear on the cylinder. Nice light 22 revolvers, just not really great for tons of shooting. The 63 is much better for shooting a lot.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tiquito,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Tiquito wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:35 pm
7974B8C4-F4A0-48D8-B042-B244B15EE2A4.jpeg
What fixed blade is that?
Justin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Looks like something from Perrin, I'm curious too.

-Thomas Jefferson
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

Thank you for the welcome. Also thank you for bringing the Shaman to market. It may be my favorite. The pictured one was stolen. I was pretty devastated. One day I hope to replace it.

As to the the fixed blade, it is a Shiv works clinch pick designed by Craig “South Narc” Douglas. I believe he also designed the Spyderco P’kal, a waved folder with a similar application in mind. I’d like to get a P’kal and trainer at some point but I really prefer a fixed blade since there is no legal issues with one where I live, there are few reasons for me to chose the P’kal over a fixed blade.

I also have and like the spyderco reverse (which I believe both Douglas and Janich had a hand in). I should have bought two. Now that it is discontinued and I can’t readily replace it, I find my self being more hesitant to carry it. Which is silly, because why have it if not to use it. I’d love to see another spyderco P’kal style knife. I realize it’s a niche item though.

Also pictures is the ARK, my favorite neck knife.
215F5B81-7988-4B00-9931-BB5169B8D197.jpeg
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:56 pm
If not, I thought it might be fun to post up some pics of our favorite Spydies with our favorite guns.
Who doesn't love guns and knives?
Here's your 229's little sister decked out in Milt Sparks leather and some Spydiebling.
IMG_6639.jpeg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:23 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:56 pm
If not, I thought it might be fun to post up some pics of our favorite Spydies with our favorite guns.
Who doesn't love guns and knives?
Here's your 229's little sister decked out in Milt Sparks leather and some Spydiebling.

IMG_6639.jpeg
Ahh......very nice!!
Thank you for sharing.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I had already posted this picture in the Off Topic forum, and on one of the S&W forums. The topic on the S&W forum is titled "Revolvers & Knives." I figured it might generate some interest in the Rocks Glass from people that normally don't look at the Spyderco website/forums. These two were made nearly 70 years apart. The drink? Not some 100 year old bourbon, it's diluted Coke Zero, brewed and bottled last week. ;)
Attachments
M&P_RocksGlass.jpg
Last edited by Pokey on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just got the Sliverback Bateluer grips I ordered from Altamont shortly after getting the 360 they're now decorating. Still haven't decided whether to keep things this way, or swap grips between it and the 442.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

His and hers set.
9C4D7332-62DD-4961-A784-C4812336C065.jpeg