What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Post by marshmallow »

I don’t own this knife as I only have popular knives. But I really love the Watu that someone in forum posted. It was clean and magestic. I need to get my hands on one. It’s a very crisp and simplistic design. Minimal, but powerful.
"stay puft."
Mushroom

Re: What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Post by Mushroom »

I've always said the Stretch 1 is Spydercos best sleeper model. Certainly one of my favorites that I'd consider a sleeper model, at least. :D

Another one I like a lot and consider a sleeper is the Hungarian. Incredible ergonomics and feeling in hand but it's so polished and refined that I feel guilty carrying it as anything other than a "gents" knife.

Also, the Cat is severely underrated! Especially now that it comes with BD1N steel.
-Nick :bug-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Of my favorites would have to be Stretch 1 and 2.

Mushroom, good points. :D I have also been thinking about the Cat, especially with the steel upgrade.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Chaparral maybe?
•• Beau
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Domino. Doesn't get much attention now, but I love mine.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:17 pm
Chaparral maybe?
Doubtful that one is under-rated. :eek: :p
JMM

Post by JMM »

Ulize.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

The Brouwer: nice leaf blade, mix of TI and G10 for the scales, excellent ergo's, and a cool shaping of the end on the pivot side of the knife
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pingo is the sleeper that I enjoy every time I use it. Not a EDC knife but stays in my travel bag at work for overnights when I fly to a remote port for work.

Discontinued now but a pleasant little knife.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Also, the Cat is severely underrated! Especially now that it comes with BD1N steel.
Cat, definitely the Cat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
brj

Post by brj »

I like and frequently carry the 4 below, which generally seem to get little to no attention on the forums.

The reversed S on the bi-fold was a bit too specialized for mundane tasks so I've reground it. All in all, a very nice folder that carries excellent in my jeans' 5th pocket and is quite capable for everyday stuff.

I do recall that people ran away from the T-Mag due to the lack of a closing system but I've personally had no issue whatsoever with that, it's been for years my favorite travel knife as it seems to fit well with the local legislation of whatever countries I've been travelling to.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

marshmallow wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 pm
I don’t own this knife as I only have popular knives. But I really love the Watu that someone in forum posted. It was clean and magestic. I need to get my hands on one. It’s a very crisp and simplistic design. Minimal, but powerful.

Don´t think one can call the Watu a "sleeper model" (yet). It was released just quite recently, and seems to be pretty well received at least on this forum, and quite some people got their hands on it from what I read..

Don´t know how this is in the general knife market, but imho it is to be expected that a design like the Watu will not sell as well as more standard models, partly because it is more expensive too (worth the money from what I know, don´t get me wrong!)
Mushroom wrote: I've always said the Stretch 1 is Spydercos best sleeper model. Certainly one of my favorites that I'd consider a sleeper model, at least. :D
-------
+1

Stretch 1 was a perfect design. I will never fully understand why it was not more popular... (maybe due to its funky, unnusual looks...?)

It also puzzles me that the sprint run straight spine Stretch 2 is still not sold out! For me clearly the "better PM2" (just personal preference of course). I guess people just don´t want VG 10 in a sprint run... ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I for one am looking forward to a straight spine Stretch in k390.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I agree on the Stretch 1. Also its minimalist smaller cousin, the drop point UKPK.

The Caly and Caly 3.5 certainly have their dedicated users, but you don’t tend to hear much fanfare for such a great knife design.

I think it represents one of the watershed models in the evolution of Sal’s ‘design language’.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

As alreaady said, the Brouwer.
I can't understand how it can fly below the radar the way it does.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Polestar is a great sleeper. I think it's overlooked because of cost vs country of manufacture(China). I hope the golden made back lock version Sal mentioned happens.

The brouwer, which has been mentioned, is another. That clip position has to be the reason. I'm not super concerned about depth of carry, but 1/3 of the knife hangs out of the pocket.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:15 am
Polestar is a great sleeper. I think it's overlooked because of cost vs country of manufacture(China). I hope the golden made back lock version Sal mentioned happens.

The brouwer, which has been mentioned, is another. That clip position has to be the reason. I'm not super concerned about depth of carry, but 1/3 of the knife hangs out of the pocket.
Polestar: Looks to be a great design indeed!!

- Perhaps some people consider liner locks to be not as advanced as other types? (When in fact a good linerlock is a great choice and for me beats the comp. lock)
- Or a change to BD1N (instead of BD1) would make it more attractive for some (for me it certainly would! While I was not overwhelmed with the BD1 on my Manix (it was ok, but not great), the BD1N really is a step up as far as I can tell)

Anyway, a backlock version, should it keep the edge-almost-to-the-handle design (so rockjumper-ish), would be great.

/ Brouwer: A lot to like here, just the actual edge is a bit short for a real versatile folder imho
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:00 am
I agree on the Stretch 1. Also its minimalist smaller cousin, the drop point UKPK.

The Caly and Caly 3.5 certainly have their dedicated users, but you don’t tend to hear much fanfare for such a great knife design.

I think it represents one of the watershed models in the evolution of Sal’s ‘design language’.

Could change with the Caly 3.5 LW? I have high hopes for it! :rolleyes:
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I've been thinking of the thread that asked about Spydercos that grew on you and those that faded. Think this is along the same lines. I want to give a shout out for a recent Spyderco awakening.

I like fixed blades, and Spydercos are the ones I like most among those I have, which are BRKT, Casstrom, Buck, and BM. I think it is the build quality that sets them apart. The refinement is above the others and I'm amazed every time I pick one up. I know it's a Spyderco by look and feel. I'm sold on Spyderco fixed blades.

The Junction has been an eye opener for me. It never appealed to my visual senses but they were available at discontinued prices so I picked one up. I put it in the garage for whatever cutting/slicing tasks would arise while I'm working in the garage and outside in the yard. My preference has always been 3D profile handles on fixed blades. This one got me liking flat slabs. I'm really liking this knife and never suspected I would like it as much as I now do. It is becoming a favorite and I know I'll be putting it in my daypack and taking it on outdoor adventures with me.

Great job Spyderco and I'm so glad this one didn't get away from me.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Ikuchi.

If you often like to use a “steak knife”, it is probably the best design for that. It is also very comfortable to use in a saber grip. Whereas a lot of the other spydies are only designed to be comfortable in a saber grip.

It is also the most space efficient knife. No wasted space. The handle is just big enough and the blade is fully enclosed in the handle, when closed. Very easy to reach around the knife and grab other things in your pocket. Thin blade stock and trailing point make it a very good slicer.