TeroTuf!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: TeroTuf!

Post by kennethsime »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:03 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 pm
Very nice! I'm thinking about a BBS Domino (or a Rex45 Native 5) and either way I'll be looking for scales.
As an aside, Fireside also makes mahogany scales for the Domino. Really nice looking.
I saw those, absolutely gorgeous.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Interesting.

From a few closeups I can see threads coming off the material. For those of you with long term daily usage does this continue to break down?

The material looks like it would absorb rit dye like a sponge and probably any other liquid as well.

As for me I think I will pass G10 and FRN are perfect materials.

Micarta is ok enough, doubt I would want to go softer just to have handles shred over time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:42 am
Yes, very quick, friendly and helpfull!

And: No problem! Maybe I´ll dress up one of my Stretch 1s with "Deacon-like" wooden scales instead! :)

Or you could check with Suingab, he has photos of a few knives he did with TeroTuf scales in his photo gallery. The photos are about 6 years, so I'm not sure he works with it, but definitely worth an email of you like way it looks.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:52 am
Interesting.

From a few closeups I can see threads coming off the material. For those of you with long term daily usage does this continue to break down?

The material looks like it would absorb rit dye like a sponge and probably any other liquid as well.

Micarta is ok enough, doubt I would want to go softer just to have handles shred over time.
Not sure but what I think you're seeing is fuzz from the cotton cloth I used to wipe oil on the scales. I've also noticed that they seem to pick up lint from my pockets fairly easily.

They don't seem to soak up liquid as easily as you might think. The oil I applied darkened them up at first but it didn't seem to soak in. I wiped it off with a clean cloth. I came back 24 hours later they were lighter again. I think the oil just dried (evaporated?) rather than soak in.

"CIP TeroTuf™, originally designed as a wear material for industrial use, was introduced to the knife industry as a new option for handles. This material has quickly become a preferred alternative to many other utilitarian handle options. TeroTuf is made with 100% polyester resin and fabric with no fillers, is non-toxic, chemically resistant to most cleaning supplies, and does not swell in water. TeroTuf has been weather tested by Ochs Sherworx (after twenty-seven weeks in the sun CIP material showed no noticeable change)."
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:42 am
Yes, very quick, friendly and helpfull!

And: No problem! Maybe I´ll dress up one of my Stretch 1s with "Deacon-like" wooden scales instead! :)

Or you could check with Suingab, he has photos of a few knives he did with TeroTuf scales in his photo gallery. The photos are about 6 years, so I'm not sure he works with it, but definitely worth an email of you like way it looks.

Thanks a lot, Paul!

But as nice as TeroTuf certainly is: Thinking about it I still prefer a wood scale Stretch over it anyway (and yes, I "blame" your pics for that.. ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:28 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:52 am
Interesting.

Not sure but what I think you're seeing is fuzz from the cotton cloth I used to wipe oil on the scales. I've also noticed that they seem to pick up lint from my pockets fairly easily.

They don't seem to soak up liquid as easily as you might think. The oil I applied darkened them up at first but it didn't seem to soak in. I wiped it off with a clean cloth. I came back 24 hours later they were lighter again. I think the oil just dried (evaporated?) rather than soak in.

"CIP TeroTuf™, originally designed as a wear material for industrial use, was introduced to the knife industry as a new option for handles. This material has quickly become a preferred alternative to many other utilitarian handle options. TeroTuf is made with 100% polyester resin and fabric with no fillers, is non-toxic, chemically resistant to most cleaning supplies, and does not swell in water. TeroTuf has been weather tested by Ochs Sherworx (after twenty-seven weeks in the sun CIP material showed no noticeable change)."
Thank you for further description. Maybe I will look into it after all. Anyone try Rit Dying this stuff?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:59 am
Looks great! Wish they made some for the Stretch 2 or lil native comp lock
SG, I just saw that RCBladeworks is using terotuf now, too. I know they've done lil' native comp lock micarta scales before, maybe he's planning some terotuf as well.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:24 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:59 am
Looks great! Wish they made some for the Stretch 2 or lil native comp lock
SG, I just saw that RCBladeworks is using terotuf now, too. I know they've done lil' native comp lock micarta scales before, maybe he's planning some terotuf as well.
I will keep an eye out for those 👀
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

My latest Terotuf acquisition: checkered terotuf from Fireside. Just put these on last night, so I'll report back on them use. But as for looks and feel in hand initially, they're awesome. I'm hoping they'll get these into regular production in other colors soon.

- Julia

Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:12 am
My latest Terotuf acquisition: checkered terotuf from Fireside. Just put these on last night, so I'll report back on them use. But as for looks and feel in hand initially, they're awesome. I'm hoping they'll get these into regular production in other colors soon.

I haven’t checked their site in a few weeks. Did you special order them or are they now available as a stock item?

ETA: Just checked and they’re still listed as coming soon. Can you tell us more about your order process/experience?
Last edited by Burton Knut on Wed May 27, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Those look good!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Did you have to special order those?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Burton Knut wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:12 am

I haven’t checked their site in a few weeks. Did you special order them or are they now available as a stock item?

ETA: Just checked and they’re still listed as coming soon. Can you tell us more about your order process/experience?
Yeah, I actually saw these exact scales in one of Fireside's IG posts. I messaged them to ask when they'd be available, and they said the set from the post was for sale if I wanted them. They gave me a custom order code to use on their website. It sounds like they're planning to have more of them up on the website soon, though. You might be able to pre-order them, or the regular manix scales in other colors. I suggest sending them an email or dm on Instagram. They're very responsive.
- Julia

Monty

Post by Monty »

I tried a pair for a delica - great fit, appearance and texture. The owner is a real pleasure to speak with as well.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I finally put in an order for a set of Delica scales with them...wish they sold them with matching backspacer though. Gets a bit pricey when you add in a flytanium spacer too.
-Turbo
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

visually, these don't really do it for me. i bet they're awesome in hand though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I put a set of TeroTuff Scales from Fireside on my Cruwear PM2, and they turned out great. Just like a pair of well worn jeans, and definitely a bit lighter than the original G10. I will probably eventually add another set to my collection. I am all in on models with either Micarta or (even better, imo) TeroTuff.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 pm
visually, these don't really do it for me. i bet they're awesome in hand though.
I wonder if you'd like the earthy colors better. They really look more like traditional canvas micarta imo.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 pm
I finally put in an order for a set of Delica scales with them...wish they sold them with matching backspacer though. Gets a bit pricey when you add in a flytanium spacer too.
I just used the stock frn backspacer on my delica. Since it was the grey cruwear one, it blended pretty well. But I agree, matching backspacers would be nice.
- Julia

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:20 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 pm
I just used the stock frn backspacer on my delica. Since it was the grey cruwear one, it blended pretty well. But I agree, matching backspacers would be nice.
I ordered Desert Tan and and think the blue FRN I'm swapping out will clash so I'm going to try the Flytanium brass backspacer.

Suingab includes a matching backspacer with his micarta scales but he's backordered a few months atm so figured I'd give these a try while I wait for those to get here.
-Turbo