Memorial Day

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
shunsui

Memorial Day

Post by shunsui »

The HA(L) -3 Seawolves would become the most decorated Squadron in the Vietnam War, arguably in all of Naval Aviation History. From meager beginnings, the most effective and offensive Navy squadron, Helicopter Attack Light Squadron Three Seawolves, was established inside the Republic of Vietnam in support of Task Force-116, Operation Gamewarden in 1967. This is their story.

https://www.pbs.org/video/scramble-the- ... es-yacuzi/
JD Spydo

Re: Memorial Day

Post by JD Spydo »

I had many uncles in WW II and Korea. Both sides of my family were big in the military. Sad to say many people just don't realize what Memorial Day and the 4th of July are all about.

For all you guys who are veterans I just want to say that I personally appreciate your service.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My family was in the Civil War, My Grandfather in World War 1
My Uncles in World War 2, extended family in Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf Wars. I want to thank all that have served this Memorial Day.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Memorial Day is for those who gave their lives for our country. Here's to them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

A Solemn and Somber Memorial Day / Remembrance Day Observance and Contemplation wished for all, particularly those Loved Ones / Friends and others whom have served in combat and paid the ultimate price in the defense of Our National Homes here in the United States and abroad.

My VFW Home Post is still under quarantine, but the State of Colorado and others are now slowly opening many churches and places of faith, and in great concern formerly 'non- essential' businesses comprising a large part of our economy. We have to be very careful in particular concern for protecting our most senior members who will be gathering and sharing again once our home post is safely coming off of lock down.

Later today I will be going to Fort Logan National Cemetery near me here in SW Denver to pay homage to those interred in that Hallowed Ground and to pay my respects for them all, and especially the grave sites of those I had known personally for many years like Brothers and Sisters.

So everyone -- enjoy your time off and those BBQs with family and friends if you can, all along bearing in mind the reason for this holiday, and please take pause today for a moment of silence in honoring those whom have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms that a lot of people simply overlook.

-Bruce Gibson
VFW Post 5061 / District One
Southwest Denver, Colorado
United States of America. ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 am
Memorial Day is for those who gave their lives for our country. Here's to them.
Man, I screwed up. Perfect example of what Joe was talking about. None of my people died in any of those wars.
Darn, I hate to admit it, but I just flat forgot that Memorial Day was for those that died in War for our Country.
I mean I knew it was, but just slap screwed up. Sorry gang.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Good on you to own up. It’s easy to forget, what with all the online sales leveraging this “Happy” day.

This day reminds me that some 15 guys I knew and liked did not come home from Vietnam (as I did) to have a wonderful life (as I have). Fifty or so years not lived spells out for me what is meant by “paying the highest price”.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 pm
Good on you to own up. It’s easy to forget, what with all the online sales leveraging this “Happy” day.

This day reminds me that some 15 guys I knew and liked did not come home from Vietnam (as I did) to have a wonderful life (as I have). Fifty or so years not lived spells out for me what is meant by “paying the highest price”.
Thank you, Marc
And, I agree. With all the sales and stuff they do make it seem like a happy day.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am a veteran and I am happy for people to celebrate veterans (far different from when I was in). However, we should remember the fallen. We need to remember we are free because they paid the price since 1776.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 am
I am a veteran and I am happy for people to celebrate veterans (far different from when I was in). However, we should remember the fallen. We need to remember we are free because they paid the price since 1776.

+1
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

God Bless the USA

My grandpa was in WWll on a Navy ship. I remember telling him when he retired from his factory job, years after he was home, that he should buy a boat to go fishing. He laughed and said **** no, I spent enough time on the water. He reminded me of U Boats circleing around.

My dad was young and was drafted. He told me many nights he was scared and cried in his tent, bombs going off close by. Takes a man to tell his young son he cried,,,he could have told me a rambo story

Never forget what others did for your freedom
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

forgot to add a boy was welcoming my dad with a USA salute

my dad, young kid being drafted
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

My father was a crewman on a B17. He said most of his squadron never came home. That’s all he would say. It was enough.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050