Canis Love...will there be Sprint runs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pdxgti8v

Canis Love...will there be Sprint runs?

Post by pdxgti8v »

I love the new Canis, unlike most on here from the posts Ive read....I am one of those people who cant afford to buy 10 knives a year...I get maybe 2-3 new ones a year in this price range....so here's the catch....i want a Canis, but if there is going to be sprint runs with some of the cooler steels, like my favorite Bohler M390, then i will wait for the Sprint runs to buy one....so, see my dilemma...buy the one out this week, or wait to see if there are sprint runs.......if I call Spyderco will they tell me if they have sprint runs planned? Or is that hush hush?
tbdoc4kids

Re: Canis Love...will there be Sprint runs?

Post by tbdoc4kids »

If the base model does not sell well, there will be no chance for Sprint runs. Thus, please buy the base model!
pdxgti8v

Post by pdxgti8v »

Yeah, that's kinda what I assumed...so this will probably be a one run knife seeing how everyone seems to hate it, which is fine by me, I hate alot of Spyderco designs that everybody drools over.....
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

It will probably be a while before there are sprints even if it turns out to be popular, i.e. the Smock. If it's something you think you'd like in m390 I'd try it in s30v now knowing you probably have at least a year before you'd have to decide whether to upgrade.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love m390 (et al), but the shape of the Canis kind of cries out to me for a tough steel. Maybe Cruwear? That would definitely sell in the current environment. I'd love to see 4v...but heck, I admit I'd love to see anything in 4v.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you i like it, buy it. if it comes out in your favorite steel later, buy that and sell this one.

if we don’t like it enough to have it in s30v, we don’t like it enough to ask for a different steel. what i mean is s30v is a perfectly acceptable steel. if the design is good we’ll take it in s30v and be happy enough with it while we hope for “better” steels.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

As others have said, you should buy the current version to support the model with the hopes that one day there is a sprint.

My initial feelings on this knife is that it’s not likely to ever get a sprint or an exclusive.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JMM

Post by JMM »

This is just my WAG, but I think if it sells reasonably well there will be at least one sprint, there are what 3 sprints of the Yojimbo, and I think this model will appeal to the same audience... I have been rather surprised how much shade this knife has been getting, it's on my to-buy short list for sure.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I felt this way for a hot minute about the Straight Spine Stretch, but I'm very glad I ended up going for the "base model," it's one of my favorite knives. To make things even better, Sal mentioned recently that they're going to go ahead and run it in K390, another steel that I like a whole lot. I can only imagine this is in no small part because the base model sold well enough.

One thing you could definitely do with the S30V base model Canis to make it a little more special or unique for you is pick up some aftermarket scales. I have a base-model Para 3 that I threw some Micarta scales on. Now it's not only more comfortable to use, I feel like it's my own little custom knife. I also find that S30V is a pretty great steel overall, and customizing my knife helped me get over the whole "base model" stigma.
Last edited by kennethsime on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JMM wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 pm
This is just my WAG, but I think if it sells reasonably well there will be at least one sprint, there are what 3 sprints of the Yojimbo, and I think this model will appeal to the same audience... I have been rather surprised how much shade this knife has been getting, it's on my to-buy short list for sure.
There has never been a sprint of the Yojimbo 2. Only dealer funded exclusives.

The Yojimbo 2 is an in house design and is made in golden. It’s also almost 9 years old and still a part of Spyderco’s lineup which is a testament to its popularity. It’s also received a trainer version and inspired a fixed blade and now the Yojumbo. All of this makes sprints and exclusives much more likely for the Yo2.

I’m not saying the Canis couldn’t get there someday...but it’s an uphill battle for sure.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pdxgti8v,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
pdxgti8v

Post by pdxgti8v »

Hi Sal!!! How cool to have a company owner talk to people on their forum...doesn't happen enough in my book....you are all correct...Im going to go ahead an order the base model and hey, if a fancy one comes out in 4v, Cruwear, or M390, I will decide then what to do....oh and I like the idea of custom scales...maybe a set of snakewood scales? that'd be super sweet!

pdxgti8v

Post by pdxgti8v »

Another question...where are people getting the individually numbered ones?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

pdxgti8v wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Another question...where are people getting the individually numbered ones?
Spyderco has a Collector's Club. There are different levels, but basically people sign up to get one of each new knife, and commit to paying for all of them. Each CC member has a specific number on their knives.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm

One thing you could definitely do with the S30V base model Canis to make it a little more special or unique for you is pick up some aftermarket scales. I have a base-model Para 3 that I through some Micarta scales on.
There may not be aftermarket scales made for it. It'll depend on how popular it gets. They may need to be custom made. For example, the Lil Temp 3 was also a knife designed for self defense and I've never seen any aftermarket scales for sale.