Anyone else dislike the wire pocket clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

Re: Anyone else dislike the wire pocket clip?

Post by Wright.88 »

I love the wire clip! I wish Spyderco put it on just about every knife they made. I like the spoon clip well enough but normally replace those with Lynch deep carry clips (I just prefer a more discrete carry and the lynch clips also feel great in hand). I don’t have to worry about replacing the wire clips since I like them so much, so it would be one less thing to replace.
41Mag

Post by 41Mag »

ikaretababy wrote: [quote=BDNX post_id=<a href="tel:1423110">1423110</a> time=<a href="tel:1590370678">1590370678</a> user_id=3608]
Not at all. Kinda wish Spyderco would use the wire clip even MORE.
If there was a magic button I could press that would make every clip a wire clip..I would press it
[/quote]You two summed it up for me! 100% agree!
sv4

Post by sv4 »

Prefer the wire clips too
brj

Post by brj »

I also like the wire clip, no hot spots whatsoever
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

I prefer the wire clip to the point its become a deal breaker - i generally carry smaller knives tho.
to the point where i have modified my g10 para3 to accept the wireclip similar to lightweight
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

I like it a lot. Wish I could get them more.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I strongly prefer than standard spoon clip but I carry both. I think that the wire clip is better for small knives and gents knives. I prefer bigger knives which work well with the spoon clip.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

In general, I prefer the “spoon” clip over the wire clip. As others have said, I just find the wire clip doesn’t have the same retention. Most of the wire clips I have and have experience with have bent easily and don’t contact the scale anymore, which leads to them coming off the pocket too easily. They also flex around a lot and just feel kinda flimsy. The only wire clip I really like is on the Manix LW, and it’s not a fold over “deep carry” style, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. I have one of the new Lynch wire clip replacements on order to see how it is, if it works well I foresee most wire clips I have being replaced with that.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sorry man, but I love the wire clip. It's the best type of clips there is.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:30 pm
Pancake, I must say: The NON-deep carry wire clip on the Manix 2 LW works perfectly well on this rather light knife! No retention problems whatsoever.

Actually, I personally think good retention is even more important when it comes to small, short folders, since they are more likely to turn or work their way out of the pocket with not enough clip retention (though: If folders get really long , that can be a problem too again, since then the movement if the thigh can begin to push them out of the pocket).

So: I think if you´re ok with the wire clip on the Chap, you probably would be so on a Manix 2-closed length knife (of rather light weight) either... ?
I agree with you that light folders need a more stronger clip because they are so light.
And like I said, I am ok with wire clip on Chaparral, but I am not completly satisfied with it. My main problem is, even that I bend it few times, I have had the clip sitting against the scale, after few times in and out of pocket, there is a little gap between scale and clip. This bothers me the most. Spoon clip just does not do that.
Wire clip on Manix LW could work, but......I just still want a good spoon clip. One day I could try to make my own wire clip out of heavier wire, like a bicycle spike.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:30 pm
Pancake, I must say: The NON-deep carry wire clip on the Manix 2 LW works perfectly well on this rather light knife! No retention problems whatsoever.

Actually, I personally think good retention is even more important when it comes to small, short folders, since they are more likely to turn or work their way out of the pocket with not enough clip retention (though: If folders get really long , that can be a problem too again, since then the movement if the thigh can begin to push them out of the pocket).

So: I think if you´re ok with the wire clip on the Chap, you probably would be so on a Manix 2-closed length knife (of rather light weight) either... ?
I agree with you that light folders need a more stronger clip because they are so light.
And like I said, I am ok with wire clip on Chaparral, but I am not completly satisfied with it. My main problem is, even that I bend it few times, I have had the clip sitting against the scale, after few times in and out of pocket, there is a little gap between scale and clip. This bothers me the most. Spoon clip just does not do that.
Wire clip on Manix LW could work, but......I just still want a good spoon clip. One day I could try to make my own wire clip out of heavier wire, like a bicycle spike.
Yes, I´d too take spoon clip over a wire clip on any knife, despite I do like the latter on Chap and Manix LW.
So far my Chap has not developed that little gap between scale and clip you mentioned, but then I don´t carry it clipped very often (but just throw it into a zippered pocket or a running pack.
I´ll watch if the clip retention will decrease on my new Manix LW - which I carry and plan to further carry a lot..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Yes, I´d too take spoon clip over a wire clip on any knife, despite I do like the latter on Chap and Manix LW.
So far my Chap has not developed that little gap between scale and clip you mentioned, but then I don´t carry it clipped very often (but just throw it into a zippered pocket or a running pack.
I´ll watch if the clip retention will decrease on my new Manix LW - which I carry and plan to further carry a lot..
To be fair, I was very excited when I got my Chaparral with wire clip, because a lot of people like it. I find it ok. just that, ok. Not the worst clip in the world, but spoon clip is what I like more.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love both clips, they each have their place.

The only thing I am adamant about having a wire clip, are Ti slab knives. Other than that, dealer's choice.

I do think the wire clip maintains more clip retention, for longer. The spoon alway seems to require me to take it off and re bend it a bit, to get the clip retention back. Not an issue, just an observation.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

For me, it depends on the knife.. I think the wire clips really complement smaller knives and the LWs. I do find that the retention is sometimes not quite as good as with the spoon clip, and they can be a bit more finicky, IMO (my chap LW clip is sometimes a PITA to keep in place).. For that reason, I don't think they'd work as well on something larger, like a PM2 or Shaman. Hahah, probably why the larger knives don't have them...

I was a little surprised initially to see the wire clip on the Siren, but have come to really like it after carrying the knife quite a bit over the past few weeks. Clip retention is good and combined with the rough G10, I feel that the knife is very secure in my pocket..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I think it just depends on the knife and the size of your hands. if you have to put pressure on the clip in order to open or close the knife than a wire clip doesn't work too well. This is absolutely the case on the ikuchi for me, which I put an RGT milled clip on. But for something like the the spydiechef or the para 3 lightweight, where very little backwards pressure is necessary for opening and closing regardless of hand size, the wire clip is wonderful. It's real only downside is a lack of rigidity, it works wonderfully otherwise. Fortunately there are plenty of options for replacing them nowadays if you have a model that doesn't fit your hand as well as it should, Rips Garage Tech and Lynch Northwest come to mind.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I don't dislike the wire clip from a functional standpoint. But I prefer tip-down carry, and there are almost no knives with the wire clip that support tip-down carry. I only have a small number of tip-up knives, and only a couple of those have the wire clip: Dragonfly (but I've removed the clip and carry it loose in my pocket) and UKPK.

If Spyderco made more knives with the wire clip that supported tip-down carry, I'd probably have more knives with the wire clip.
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Can anyone recommend a good brand deep carry pocket clip that isn't as recognizable as a pocket knife? I live in an area where it needs to be completely concealed.
"stay puft."
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I like the idea of a wire clip (no edges to scratch things, minimal material hanging out of pocket visually and light weight,) but the flex under pressure and now failure on my SPY27 Para 3 LW is enough for me to make replacing them my SOP moving forward.
Come on Casey, restock those Ti replacements! (Preferably blue, black or sandwashed if you’re seeing this ;) )
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I like the retention and deep carry of the wire clips, but they almost always give me crazy hotspots.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I love the wire clip. I love it more than pretty much any object, concept or actual person. If I had to choose between the wire clip and continuing to breath air, thereby allowing me to conduct my basic life functions, I would be in a really difficult position. A lot of people say "god, family and country" but I say "wire clip, choil and thumb ramp".

I'm only slightly exaggerating.