Anyone else dislike the wire pocket clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Anyone else dislike the wire pocket clip?

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I am constantly getting a bad hotspot from the 90° bend on the wire pocket clip on my lil native. I like their spoon clips much better. I think I will remove it completely. Any one else experience this as well?
araneae

Re: Anyone else dislike the wire pocket clip?

Post by araneae »

I strongly prefer a wire clip, never had an issue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Don't know about the particular clip on the Lil Native, but no problems whatsoever with the wire clips on Chap and Manix LW. Also not with the one on the Kapara concerning ergos (deep carry was annoying though on that rather long knife).
Still slightly prefer the spoon clip.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Would it make a difference if the wire clip was a curve instead of the 90 degree bend. Because the wire clip on the para 3 lightweight doesnt have the 90 degree bend.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
attila

Post by attila »

I don’t like wire clips on titanium handles because they leave scratches as they move around. Otherwise, they’re just fine.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I generally prefer the spoon clip. A majority of folks seem to love the wire clip, but I find the retention below average and I don't like that they move if I grip tightly. It's also more difficult to find after market clips. Lynch makes one, but it only works with some knives. Milled clips are quite expensive and have their own bag of issues.

I've haven't had an ergonomic issue with the wire clip, but I understand what you're talking about at the bend. I've had that issue with deep carry clips from other manufacturers. If that bend hits your hand wrong, it's a problem. I love the Benchmade bugout and it's clip, but There is no way I would buy the mini BO without holding it first because that shorter handle is likely to make the clip a hotspot for me.

If you end up not liking clipless carry, there is always the backlock Lil native with a spoon clip.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I actually like the wire pocket clips myself. Two of my Dodo models have wire clips and I've had great luck with them. I'm sure that under certain circumstances they might be prone to snagging up on things easier but I just try to be careful when I'm using a folder with a wire clip.

Now I do think that they should consider re-designing the wire clip. I'm sure there would be ways of improving on them.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I like the wire clip in the pocket, but sometimes dislike it in hand (the manix lw being a prime example). I haven't noticed a real hot spot on the lil native, but I often just take off the clip altogether on that model and my dflies. I just replaced the wire clip on one of my para3s with a lynch clip, and was surprised how much more I like the new clip. I hadn't really disliked the wire clip on that model, but I got the replacement for a manix lw and it was too short, so I tried it on the para3 lw instead - happy surprise. All in all, I'm usually ok with the wire clip, but prefer the spoon clip.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I strongly dislike wire clips for various reasons, to the point that it becomes a deal-breaker for me.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:02 am
I generally prefer the spoon clip. A majority of folks seem to love the wire clip, but I find the retention below average and I don't like that they move if I grip tightly. It's also more difficult to find after market clips. Lynch makes one, but it only works with some knives. Milled clips are quite expensive and have their own bag of issues.

I've haven't had an ergonomic issue with the wire clip, but I understand what you're talking about at the bend. I've had that issue with deep carry clips from other manufacturers. If that bend hits your hand wrong, it's a problem. I love the Benchmade bugout and it's clip, but There is no way I would buy the mini BO without holding it first because that shorter handle is likely to make the clip a hotspot for me.

If you end up not liking clipless carry, there is always the backlock Lil native with a spoon clip.
When you mentioned the "spoon clip" are you referring to the one like on the older/discontinued GUNTING model? Because that is my favorite pocket clip that Spyderco ever made IMO.

Now that type of clip wouldn't be ideal on every folder out there but I've had good luck overall with wire clips.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:15 am
I strongly dislike wire clips for various reasons, to the point that it becomes a deal-breaker for me.

Jim
It may just depend on it being ideal for certain models too. Because with the Dodo model for instance I don't know of another pocket clip I would want on that particular model. And I most certainly wouldn't want a wire clip on my M390 Military model or on most other full sized folders for that matter.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely depends on the model knife it's on and how hard I use that knife. I've liked it on a few and disliked it on others.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:40 am
When you mentioned the "spoon clip" are you referring to the one like on the older/discontinued GUNTING model? Because that is my favorite pocket clip that Spyderco ever made IMO.

Now that type of clip wouldn't be ideal on every folder out there but I've had good luck overall with wire clips.
Never had a Gunting but I've heard good things about the clip. If I remember correctly Sal said when Gunting and Spyderco went their sperate ways the clip went back to Gunting. It does look far more like a spoon than the clip I was referring to.

I was referring to the standard spring steel clip on many Spyderco knives. I've heard it referred to as a "spoon" clip, "standard" clip and an "hourglass" clip. I'm not sure which is the preferred nomenclature.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I don't really have a preference but I usually carry models with the metal clip. Carrying the Kapara and Siren have changed that lately. I like the wire clip because it's less noticable in the pocket and it tends to give a little. In my opinion they are both good, just different.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It is really a non-issue. I am buying the knife, not the clip. I simply remove the clip on some models, like the One-Eyed Jack, re-position it on others so it doesn’t bother me and for others it is a minor annoyance, if it bothers me at all. “Deep carry” is when I drop my knife in my pocket. The matter of a knife handle protruding a half inch above my pocket top is not worth worrying about.

Wire or steel, I basically treat them the same as above.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I personally love the wire clip and I'd say yes it's been a hot spot before but so has the spoon clip. Spoon clip scratches my stuff and shows scratches easier which I dislike. Placement is more important than type, which is why I sold all my pm3s
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:31 am
I personally love the wire clip and I'd say yes it's been a hot spot before but so has the spoon clip. Spoon clip scratches my stuff and shows scratches easier which I dislike. Placement is more important than type, which is why I sold all my pm3s
Interesting. You sold your knives because of clip placement when there are four placement options available?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I can say the wire clip on the lil native does give a serious hot spot if the have the handle in your palm. If I hold it more in my fingers or a pinch grip it’s ok. I would prefer the spoon clip on the back lock version.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t dislike the wire-clip, especially in a gent’s, like the Chap and Kapara. The clip is elegantly spare, and none that I have makes for an uncomfortable grip.

But I prefer the hourglass/spoon clip generally, and do wish my SuperLeaf sported one instead of the wire-clip. That’s a visual mismatch to me, even though the clip performs perfectly well. But my bias let’s me love the spoon on my Lil’ Native. So much for the irrationality of personal taste.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

The wire clip on the lil native doesn't bother me and in general I find that having a clip on knives, even the one's I keep loose in my pocket gives me a better grip on the knife so I don't remove clips even if I don't use the clip for its intended purpose of 'pocket clip.'

I do have a couple options for you though if the placement of the bend is giving you an uncomfortable hotspot.

If you don't mind the wire clip not being deep carry, you can replace it with the wire clip from the Dodo (see lil native below) that will get rid of the 90° and move the position of the hotspot lower down which may be more comfortable for you.

Or

Try a replacement Lynch clip that fits the wire channel tines for a deep carry style spoon clip. (see Dodo below)

-Turbo