Sal, any word on a Caribbean XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Sal, any word on a Caribbean XL?

Post by TheGiant80 »

I love LC200N. I love the design of the Caribbean. Unfortunately, I am a giant with massive hands and the standard model feels a bit too small for me. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Caribbean XL mentioned here or on BF, and I'm just wondering if there's a heartbeat on this project (or if I've imagined the whole thing)?

The newest reveal has me excited about multiple models for sure, so it's not like I'm going to go without. It'd be cool to hear an update if there is one, that's all. Anybody else interested in the possibility?
BornIn1500

Re: Sal, any word on a Caribbean XL?

Post by BornIn1500 »

Well, I have some bad news. The proposed XL model would only have a larger blade and not a larger handle. Apparently the handle has some extra room. But he has also said the idea was scrapped for now due to there not being much of a demand. This was a thread back in 2018.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/car ... e.1589356/

"The larger version has a better handle to blade ratio as I didn't need more handle so I just covered the blade."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they can squeeze another half inch of blade into the same handle I just don't think I could contain my bank card's excitement.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Giant,

We have a design and prototype but we're on hold for now until we sort out the Caribbean and capacity.

sal
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

sal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:38 am
Hi Giant,

We have a design and prototype but we're on hold for now until we sort out the Caribbean and capacity.

sal
So you’re telling me there’s a chance?! ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. It’ll help me sort out my knife-buying priorities.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

I have been holding off on the Caribbean since first hearing about the possibility of the XL. I would absolutely be on board for one!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:38 am
Hi Giant,

sal

I can't overstate how interested I am in this. If the ergonomics aren't changed and it's just more blade, you can count me in for at least a SE sheepsfoot.

Has there been any talk about color changes or maybe a full black DLC version?
~David
sal

Post by sal »

My vote would be for a lite wt but we've got so much going on right now that time is tight.

sal
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I think a lightweight would be really good idea. Regular or XL. The current scales are a bit polarising and I think a solid color frn would get a few people off the fence.

Then again both blade shapes have been sold out for some time, I guess it's selling just fine with the "bumble bee" scales. :D It's a great design.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm
My vote would be for a lite wt but we've got so much going on right now that time is tight.

sal

I know I'm a broken record at this point but like we talked about with the D'Allara 3, if you can make a Caribbean XL or Lightweight or whatever with rounded and contoured FRN scales like the D'Allara 2 had, that'll be incredible. If you add all that together and make a Caribbean XL with the same size handle as the current version but with more blade, and a 3D FRN handle... that'll be the knife to end all knives for me.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Evil,

I know you like the 3D handles, but it's a very critical balance to weigh time in the hand against time in the pocket. Eric and I have been discussing that balance for some time now. We'd like to make a "slightly 3D" model which offers enough swell in the handle but less real estate in the pocket. You'll have to be patient. The Shaman was an exercise in that concept. We're sneaking up on it.

sal
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

More knives with shaman like ergos? Heck yeah.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Nice! I’m glad I got this conversation going again.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:27 pm
Nice! I’m glad I got this conversation going again.

Yes, that was a good move... :)

The possibility of a Caribbean LW (XL or "regular") in FRN (or maybe FRCP along the lines of the Manix?) sounds great...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

What would be interesting is a Powerlock LC200N folding Shempp Rock type knife in the Tatanka territory. That would be an absolute grail, I have been converted to Cold Steel XLs.
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

I can imagine that Caribbean XL would be like an upscale Salt Resilience. I would definitely get one. No matter if in g10 or frn.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I thought the XL was scrapped, so I'm glad to hear it may see the light of day at some point. I've been holding out for the larger version.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote: I thought the XL was scrapped, so I'm glad to hear it may see the light of day at some point. I've been holding out for the larger version.
The threads 2 years old except for the last couple comments. I could have sworn I remember sal saying there were no current plans for it sometime between now and 2 years ago in another thread.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I’m excited to see the XL Caribbean!
I hope it has the same materials
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.