Spydiechef Closing Action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

Spydiechef Closing Action

Post by marshmallow »

I was very very fortunate to get a hold of a Spydiechef. It is just beautiful and I love every aspect of it, especially when cooking. My only concern is that the detent closing action with one hand is very difficult for me and is not natural. I am always looking to see if it will close on my knuckle, so I try to flip the knife upside down while doing the action so that gravity of the knife-drop is closing upwards (if that makes sense) so I can control the action while I keep my digits clear from the close. I have compression and lock-back actions and they are very natural to me. I always thought the chef would be a great EDC, but I am having second thoughts on it now.
"stay puft."
Sumdumguy

Re: Spydiechef Closing Action

Post by Sumdumguy »

Welcome to the liner/framelock's fatal flaw.

The best way I've found to close a frame lock is to partially disengage the blade until it rests against the detent. Once there, you can push on the spine of the blade and it will pop the blade shut(like a flipper, but in reverse).

If you can't get it, I'll see if I can make a video demonstration. It takes some getting used to, but once you've got it, it's easy.

P.S. Sell the Spydiechef and get a Caribbean. It is 100000% better as a knife, at ANY task. It's just not as purdy.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Different lock types just take practice until you are comfortable using them.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:03 am
P.S. Sell the Spydiechef and get a Caribbean. It is 100000% better as a knife, at ANY task. It's just not as purdy.
Those are fighting words my Friend. LOL. You just have to know how to use and talk to the Spydiechef so it will do what you want it to. In all honesty it’s not for everyone but it’s the perfect edc for me. I even use it as my bushcraft knife along side my machete.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll take that fight and I'll bring my Caribbean.

Facts are facts, homeboy. Disagree if you want, but the proof will be in your Spydiechef's mangled, bloody body, after my Caribbean has had it's fun.

<3
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I had a spydiechef for a bit, but I sold it. I keep trying to like ti framelocks, but in the end they're just not for me. Two notable exceptions are the original Mantra and the Domino, and those are because I like the rest of the design so much, and they fit so well in my hand, that I deal with the frame lock.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 am

Facts are facts, homeboy. Disagree if you want, but the proof will be in your Spydiechef's mangled, bloody body, after my Caribbean has had it's fun.

<3
Facts are facts but you haven’t given any facts yet just opinions. Our opinions are different but do go off the deep end thinking your opinions are facts just because they are yours. The Spydiechef has never know defeat only wrong opinions. LMAO
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

marshmallow wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:53 am
I was very very fortunate to get a hold of a Spydiechef. It is just beautiful and I love every aspect of it, especially when cooking. My only concern is that the detent closing action with one hand is very difficult for me and is not natural. I am always looking to see if it will close on my knuckle, so I try to flip the knife upside down while doing the action so that gravity of the knife-drop is closing upwards (if that makes sense) so I can control the action while I keep my digits clear from the close. I have compression and lock-back actions and they are very natural to me. I always thought the chef would be a great EDC, but I am having second thoughts on it now.
To close a frame/liner lock, I flip the knife upside-down in my hand like you mention.. this allows for me to apply as much pressure as is needed to depress the lockbar beyond where the detent engages the tang, without risking the blade swinging closed and cutting me.. as I disengage the lock with my thumb, I extend my index fingertip along the spine of the blade and curl it inwards to close.. of course, being careful to move my thumb out of the way as I do this! The knife is supported pretty securely (at least it is in my grip) by my palm and three other fingers as I curl my index finger inward. By the time blade is closed, it's really more my index finger knuckle contacting and closing the blade. This curling motion guides the blade shut at the speed that I choose rather than depressing the lockbar and letting gravity do its thing. Trying to explain this probably makes it sound more difficult than it is.. it's always felt very natural to me and it hasn't drawn any blood yet haha (I should probably go find some wood to knock on.. )

I will admit though, I find that the Chef is a little bit more difficult to close than the average frame lock due to the shape of the lockbar cutout. The angle required to depress the lockbar is more direct than on many other knives. The initial lockstick doesn't help either. To close, try using the innermost edge of the very tip of your thumb, rather than the pad, to depress the lockbar at a more direct angle, and then curl in with the index finger as described above. I found this to be pretty easy after some practice, it just took some getting used to.

I would hang on to the Chef if I were you. Seems like you really enjoy it otherwise! I think closing the knife will become more natural to you with practice and as the knife breaks in a bit more. Keep at it! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:55 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 am

<3
Facts are facts but you haven’t given any facts yet just opinions. Our opinions are different but do go off the deep end thinking your opinions are facts just because they are yours. The Spydiechef has never know defeat only wrong opinions. LMAO
Better lock, more grip(not slick), more useful blade shape(without modification), cheaper, designed by Sal...

Sorry, but you lose <3

Not saying I don't like the Spydiechef, but in terms of practical EDC, the Caribbean blows the Spydiechef out of the water(that was punny).

You are free to enjoy it more, but the Caribbean will excel in tasks, where the Spydiechef will flounder... EDC requires roundess of proficiency. The Spydiechef is not as well rounded, therefore it is inferior to the Caribbean as an EDC.

Bolster your offense, I'll be waiting. Hehe.

-Thomas Jefferson
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Again those are your opinions. Being cheaper is one up on the Spydiechef. Preferring it because Sal designed is your opinion again. I do not need an offense because I am not offended by your opinions. I have used the Caribbean before. It belonged to a friend and it was a solid folder for sure. If I didn’t already have my Spydiechef i would probably buy one. **** if I found one for a deal I would buy it to keep in one of my kits. For me the Spydiechef is perfect whether it’s perfect for anybody else is of no concern to me. It’s just in good fun to poke fun at somebody about a hobby both enjoy. Seriously though learn the difference between a fact and an opinion. LMAO!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:18 pm
Again those are your opinions. Being cheaper is one up on the Spydiechef. Preferring it because Sal designed is your opinion again. I do not need an offense because I am not offended by your opinions. I have used the Caribbean before. It belonged to a friend and it was a solid folder for sure. If I didn’t already have my Spydiechef i would probably buy one. **** if I found one for a deal I would buy it to keep in one of my kits. For me the Spydiechef is perfect whether it’s perfect for anybody else is of no concern to me. It’s just in good fun to poke fun at somebody about a hobby both enjoy. Seriously though learn the difference between a fact and an opinion. LMAO!
Learn the difference between playful banter and serious dialogue. :P

As for the designer bit, that was to convey the sarcasm of my previous responses.

That being said, I hope I didn't upset you.

I seriously don't have anything against you or the Spydiechef, just engaging in a playful battle. As you said, "Those are fighting words."

(The Caribbean is still better! :P)

-Thomas Jefferson
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I was being playful as well. Sometimes I come off serious when I am playing. Sorry for the confusion. Some things don’t translate to text very well. Spydiechef is better because it can split atoms and cut a hole in the fabric of space and time.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I think you guys need a third party tie breaker, so I’ll humbly volunteer. Buy me a Spydiechef and a Caribbean and I’ll let y’all know which is better once and for all! You’re welcome in advance.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

aaronkb wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:03 pm
I think you guys need a third party tie breaker, so I’ll humbly volunteer. Buy me a Spydiechef and a Caribbean and I’ll let y’all know which is better once and for all! You’re welcome in advance.
Sure we can do that on one condition. You must fast until they get there. LMAO
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That’s why I like the safety of a finger choil on liner locks and frame locks.

If the blade closes on your thumb, the choil will prevent a cut.

Think Sage 2 vs Spydiechef. The Sage is much safer. I like both but have to be more careful with the chef.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Being cheaper is one up on the Spydiechef.
The SpydieChef is $234.50 MAP. The Caribbean is $182 MAP.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:44 pm
That’s why I like the safety of a finger choil on liner locks and frame locks.

If the blade closes on your thumb, the choil will prevent a cut.
This.

I didn’t get on with the Spydiechef, either.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The section at the base of the blade on the spydiechef, that looks like a large sharpening choil, hits my thumb nail if I close the blade as much as I can with my thumb in the cutout. So, while its not as good as a finger choil frame/liner lock design, it still shouldnt cut you.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I clamored for the SpydieChef for years before Spyderco brought it out. When I finally got one I was let down by a sticky lock that nearly touched the opposite frame when open. Super late lockup. Never used it, never fell in love, and sold it recently.

Bummer because it could’ve been great for me.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 pm
Mike Slayer wrote:
Being cheaper is one up on the Spydiechef.
The SpydieChef is $234.50 MAP. The Caribbean is $182 MAP.
I misspoke. What I meant to say was Since the Caribbean Is cheaper it has one up on the Spydiechef. One of these days I hope to see a Spyderco titanium frame lock with a Vanax Superclean Blade.