Sharpening a Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Re: Sharpening a Knife

Post by Albatross »

Maybe in time, the cost will be less for bonded CBN. Either way, it's been on my radar for a while. Kinda hard to justify right now though, with all the stones I have. When they begin wearing out, it will be time to upgrade.
sal

Post by sal »

I really like BBB's stone.

sal
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:03 pm
Does anyone know where the Spyderco 400 mesh would rank on this chart? I'm guessing ANSI but if anyone knows I'm curious.

Hi BBTurbodad - I’d use the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) Sieve column as a reference. 400 mesh sieved particles will roughly be around the 37 μm range.

I quite like the Venev system of just specifying an upper and lower micron range for the abrasive particles in a given stone.

Looking at scanning electron microscope images of abrasive particles in pastes, emulsions and stones usually show a fairly wide range of sizes.

That’s exciting news about the new double sided CBN stone - I’ll be looking forward to trying it out. I love the CBN Doublestuff pocket stone and highly recommend it. It’s also very useful for freehanding serrations, particularly the scallops between the tight ‘spikes’.

Sal, we haven’t heard much lately about the 701 Profile stone set? I’d still be very keen for another run. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cambertree,

We got new quotes on the 701 Profiles and we felt they were too expensive t make them and be successful.

Sorry

sal
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Thanks for the detailed reply Cambertree!

I have the Venev stones and use a Sharpie to write the FEPA number on the face of each side of the stone for easy identification and completely forgot that the other "edge" of the stones have the micron values so at first I was thinking what the **** is he talking about. :D
-Turbo
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:54 pm
Thanks for the detailed reply Cambertree!

I have the Venev stones and use a Sharpie to write the FEPA number on the face of each side of the stone for easy identification and completely forgot that the other "edge" of the stones have the micron values so at first I was thinking what the **** is he talking about. :D
No worries, BBTurbodad. :)

Yeah, when I first got a couple of the Venev benchstones, with their Russian instruction sheets, I was confused as to what those numbers like '20/14', '7/5', '3/2' and '1/0' engraved into the sides meant. After consulting Google, I realised it's a pretty neat system.
sal wrote: Hi Cambertree,

We got new quotes on the 701 Profiles and we felt they were too expensive t make them and be successful.

Sorry

sal
Hey Sal,

Oh, that is disappointing, but thank you for following up on the previous discussions requesting another run of the Profiles. :)

I don't think there's any similar shaped sharpening stones out there.

I blame JDSpydo for getting me interested in these unique pieces of sharpening kit. :D :p

Ah well, I'm sure I'll be able to find some second hand ones eventually. It speaks well of their usefulness, that most people who own a set seem to hang on to them.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Cambertree,

The "ProFiles" were a predecessor to the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was designed in '78 when the Sharpmaker was designed but the technology wasn't there to build it. We held on to the concept for years until we finally made the Duckfoot and then the Golden Stone.

sal
blues

Post by blues »

I (seem to) enjoy collecting and using sharpening gear as much as the knives.
- Retired from the chase -
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 am
Hey Cambertree,

The "ProFiles" were a predecessor to the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was designed in '78 when the Sharpmaker was designed but the technology wasn't there to build it. We held on to the concept for years until we finally made the Duckfoot and then the Golden Stone.

sal
Thanks for the background history Sal, it's appreciated as always. :)

I love hearing about those concepts that got filed away in the 'ideas bank' until technology caught up years later, and allowed them to become reality. :cool:

It would be great to eventually see resin bonded CBN stones in various shapes, like the cats eye Gauntlet stones, Sharpmaker rods and ceramic file set.

Yeah I was thinking I might have to check out the Goldenstone now. I've been interested for a while, but the 20 dps only angle, had me holding out for the 15 dps base to be released.

Now, about that long awaited Spyderco nosehair trimmer...:D :p :)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

blues wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 am
Same here, bro. ;) :)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am
sal wrote:
Hey Cambertree,

sal

I love hearing about those concepts that got filed away in the 'ideas bank' until technology caught up years later, and allowed them to become reality. :cool:

It would be great to eventually see resin bonded CBN stones in various shapes, like the cats eye Gauntlet stones, Sharpmaker rods and ceramic file set.

Yeah I was thinking I might have to check out the Goldenstone now. I've been interested for a while, but the 20 dps only angle, had me holding out for the 15 dps base to be released.

I was just thinking about how cool it would be to see a Spyderco/BBB resin bonded CBN collaboration.
blues

Post by blues »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 am
blues wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 am
Same here, bro. ;) :)
Wonder if there's a 12 step program... :p
- Retired from the chase -
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I've use a Sharpmaker for more than 25 years. I upgraded to the latest model in the past couple of years because the Tri-Angle rods can be used at different angles now. I've got the diamond, brown and white Tri-Angle rods.

Here are a few things I've picked up over the years. I can't claim any are an original idea.

I used to use a kitchen cleanser like Ajax to clean the brown and white Tri-Angle rods, but use a pink pencil eraser, now. It seems to be faster and less messy. No pencil eraser on the diamond Tri-Angles, just water, as recommended.

On a new knife and especially on any brand other than Spyderco I'll use a Sharpie on the edge grind to figure out where the Tri-Angles are touching the edge then lean the blade more or less to remove the Sharpie ink to match the grind o' the edge. (They don't call it a "Sharpie" for nothing.) :rolleyes: Rubbing alcohol or acetone, (nail polish remover,) and a cotton swab will remove the left-over Sharpie ink from the blade.

When I get down to the white Tri-Angles I'll drag the flat part of my fingernail across the edge at 90 degrees to the edge, pulling my nail away from the edge. (The opposite way you'd shave something.) In doing this I can see if the edge is rolled; it's usually rolled to one side or the other. You can feel the rolled edge shaving your fingernail while the opposite side has less/no friction. Then, I'll lightly use the white Tri-Angle to "roll" the edge back straight. When I get to that point, I'm done! You can pull the blade across a dry piece of leather and get the same effect. Just like a strop.

A friend brought me a knife with a Tanto blade that had been "sharpened" by a buddy using something abrasive and powered by electricity. (If I had to guess I'd have thought it was a wood-fired grinding wheel.) His Tanto blade looked like a cross between a clip point and a khukuri blade. I placed an aluminum oxide stone on a Tri-Angle rod that was placed in the Sharpmaker base to re-profile the edge back to 20 degrees. I used the Tri-Angles to finish the job, turning it back into a sharp Tanto blade.

You can use the radiused (curved) sides of the Golden Stone to touch up the large scallops of a SpyderEdge blade; they're the same radius. Coincidence? Probably not. ;)

Bill
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

That would be rad

Albatross wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 am
Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am
sal wrote:
Hey Cambertree,

sal

I was just thinking about how cool it would be to see a Spyderco/BBB resin bonded CBN collaboration.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thanks Sal,

I look forward to trying out the CBN plated stone.

sal wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:48 pm
I really like BBB's stone.

sal
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

ikaretababy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:04 pm
But I love the BBB CBN stones.

What does BBB stand for?

Googling turns up a lot entries for the Better Business Bureau & Bed, Bath & Beyond...
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

FeistyKat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 am
ikaretababy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:04 pm
But I love the BBB CBN stones.

What does BBB stand for?

Googling turns up a lot entries for the Better Business Bureau & Bed, Bath & Beyond...
Big Brown Bear
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Albatross wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:25 am
Big Brown Bear

Thanks, I never would have figured that out...
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

FeistyKat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 am
Albatross wrote:
Big Brown Bear

No problem. He's been an active member here for a while, a custom knife maker, makes YouTube videos, and is quite knowledgeable about steels and heat treatments.

FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Albatross wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:31 am
FeistyKat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 am
Albatross wrote:
Big Brown Bear

No problem. He's been an active member here for a while, a custom knife maker, makes YouTube videos, and is quite knowledgeable about steels and heat treatments.

OK, I'm still not finding a website. I'm guessing he has an on-line shop?