Sprint Run Basics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

Sprint Run Basics

Post by FeistyKat »

Hi, all-

I would really like a Native Chief in S90V. With in mind, I’m hoping you can give me the low down on Sprint Runs.

1. How long does it take for a SR knife to sell out? Do I have 24 hours? Or just minutes?

2. When are SR’s released? Any particular time of day? What day of the week?

3. What is the best way to buy a Sprint Run knife? Check the various on-line shops and buy one?

4. It looks like Sprint Runs are limited to 1,200 pieces? Is that typical?

5. Is there any advance warning about when a new SR knife will be released? If not, is there someone out there who gets “hunches”?

6. Sprint Run Pricing. I was looking for a Native 5 Sprint Run in Rex 45. All the on-line retailers were out of stock, but I noticed something odd: Most of the sites listed a price of $164 or so, but then I found a few that listed the price at $116. The first site was KnifeJoy and I figured they just changed the price after they ran out of knives, but then I found a few other shops (all out of stock) with a $116 price (CutleryShoppe & OpticsPlanet.)

Were some shops actually selling their Native 5’s for $116 or did they just lower their price after selling out, presumably to get people to stop there first for the next Sprint Run? Did any of you buy one for $116? It just seems odd. On the other hand I bought a Native 5 Sprint Run on eBay for $125, so I’m guessing the seller got a pretty good price somewhere.

Or was the Native 5 Sprint Run one that didn’t sell out right away? Perhaps at some point the above on-line stores lowered their price to move their stock?
Last edited by FeistyKat on Wed May 20, 2020 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
w3tnz

Re: Sprint Run Basics

Post by w3tnz »

I think you are seeing the native 5 g10 and the frn version, $164 for the g10 and $116 for the frn, these are different sku's, national knives has both in stock. Sprints are normally ordered by dealers once announced and spyderco allocates them from the run, seems to be pretty random on when dealers receive them and in what quantity so its a bit of right-place-right-time, sign up for email notifications if you can and some dealers even take pre-orders.
The forums are pretty on top of upcoming sprints and where to get them, but also announced in the catalogue/reveals, spyderco social media pages and they have an app now? If you hear of a knife coming out its best to be vigilant during the release window and keep checking at dealers regularly, good luck.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, $116 was the frn version.

Watch the forums and social media for hints when it is dropping. Also, collector club versions will appear on EBay just before the regular ones drop.

No telling how fast these will sell out. I am still waiting for the Rex45 Chief myself. This is a larger knife so it may be less popular but usually the very first sprint of a new knife sells out very quick. If you see either one of the first Chief sprints in stock I wouldn’t hesitate.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

w3tnz wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:36 am
I think you are seeing the native 5 g10 and the frn version, $164 for the g10 and $116 for the frn.

Well that's weird. I didn't realize there were two very similar yet very different Native 5's. Looking at the pictures I have the FRN scales. Now the price differences make sense.

I've signed up for a notification. Hopefully I'll get my text quickly enough to order a Native Chief.

I've also installed the Spyderco app. It's kind of nice to have the Reveal 5 guide on my phone. Convenient.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FeistyKat wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 am
Hi, all-

I would really like a Native Chief in S90V. With in mind, I’m hoping you can give me the low down on Sprint Runs.

1. How long does it take for a SR knife to sell out? Do I have 24 hours? Or just minutes?

Depends, some are pretty much sold out on pre-orders before they are released, others have lingered on dealer's shelves long enough to be sold at close-out prices, most fall somewhere in between those extremes.

FeistyKat wrote:

Aside from them not being released on weekends, Sprints are not released on any particular day or time. Only knives ever released at a scheduled date and time are Mules and Forum Models.

FeistyKat wrote:
3. What is the best way to buy a Sprint Run knife? Check the various on-line shops and buy one?

Purchase the majority of your knives from a single dealer and pre-order your Sprints from that dealer.

FeistyKat wrote:

Typical for models made in Japan, as it's the minimum run size makers there require. Don't know what minimum, if any, makers in Taiwan and Italy require and Sprints made in Golden are generally made in multiples of how many blades they can get out of a minimum order of steel or how many handles they can get out of a minimum order of scale material.

FeistyKat wrote:
5. Is there any advance warning about when a new SR knife will be released? If not, is there someone out there who gets “hunches”?

Aside from the dealers who post knives for pre-order as soon as they're announced in a catalog or Reveal, no.

FeistyKat wrote:
6. Sprint Run Pricing. I was looking for a Native 5 Sprint Run in Rex 45. All the on-line retailers were out of stock, but I noticed something odd: Most of the sites listed a price of $164 or so, but then I found a few that listed the price at $116. The first site was KnifeJoy and I figured they just changed the price after they ran out of knives, but then I found a few other shops (all out of stock) with a $116 price (CutleryShoppe & OpticsPlanet.)

Were some shops actually selling their Native 5’s for $116 or did they just lower their price after selling out, presumably to get people to stop there first for the next Sprint Run? Did any of you buy one for $116? It just seems odd. On the other hand I bought a Native 5 Sprint Run on eBay for $125, so I’m guessing the seller got a pretty good price somewhere.

Or was the Native 5 Sprint Run one that didn’t sell out right away? Perhaps at some point the above on-line stores lowered their price to move their stock?

Can't say for sure, but Spyderco dealers are only allowed to advertise prices in a range between full MSPR and the MAP Spyderco sets. MAP is 30% off MSRP, and most dealers sell at MAP. Assuming $164 was MAP, then $116 would probably be below dealer cost, so that may not have been the price when the knives were available.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I dont know of anywhere that still does preorders for sprints. I think all of the online retailers have stopped that. I would not count on that being an option.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FeistyKat wrote:
Hi, all-

1. Literally sometimes mere minutes, other times a few months. It all depends on the model/combo/hype.

2. Depends on who it's coming from. A lot of dealer exclusives seem to come out on Tuesdays but there isn't a set day that I know of.

3. Firstly from a reputable dealer. Secondly from whoever has it. I would recommend stalking several online dealers for Sprints, but dealer exclusives are exclusive to that dealer so you only need to follow the one who's selling it. There are several threads about reputable dealers.

4. 1200 does seem typical, but others are rumored to be less and it sounds like some point in the future they may be run in larger batches. Dealer exclusives are different from sprints in that they can be ran multiple times, so if they do 3 batches of 1200, etc etc. A sprint is a one and done and will never be run in that combo again.

5. You really need to get on social media and follow the usual dealers and knife groups and this forum. Word gets out.

6. Seems to vary depending on the combo. Some dealer exclusives are far more expensive because a particular dealer price gouges everything, but I won't name names.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I could be wrong, but I bet the s90v Native Chiefs and Lil Natives will sell a bit slower than other recent sprints. They're very high-end materials, so very expensive. On the other hand, there haven't been many versions of either model, so maybe people will jump on these despite the cost.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Live in Australia and it’s a process to be savvy to sprints.

The effort I put in to get a Jade PM2 in M4 was a like a strategic military strike. Several days of planning across several time zones with variances for daylight savings. Juggling work jobs to be ready to strike.

Others it’s been staying up to 01:00 or 02:00am on a week night.

Glow in the dark Delica I was just lucky to be online here when someone updated a thread that a dealer that shipped to Australia had them in stock.

Going through a fixed blade phase now so have slowed up on sprints.

There is some work in getting a sprint but it’s worth the work.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:54 am
If you see either one of the first Chief sprints in stock I wouldn’t hesitate.

I am ready to go...
bearfacedkiller

FeistyKat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I am ready to go...
Ha, you and me both!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 am
FeistyKat wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I am ready to go...
Ha, you and me both!

What piece(s) are you going for?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

standy99 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:16 am
Live in Australia and it’s a process to be savvy to sprints.

The effort I put in to get a Jade PM2 in M4 was a like a strategic military strike. Several days of planning across several time zones with variances for daylight savings. Juggling work jobs to be ready to strike.

Others it’s been staying up to 01:00 or 02:00am on a week night.

Glow in the dark Delica I was just lucky to be online here when someone updated a thread that a dealer that shipped to Australia had them in stock.

Going through a fixed blade phase now so have slowed up on sprints.

There is some work in getting a sprint but it’s worth the work.

Sounds like some of the things I use to do when I was actively expanding my collection of vintage Spydercos by sniping eBay auctions. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

FeistyKat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:38 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 am
FeistyKat wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I am ready to go...
Ha, you and me both!

What piece(s) are you going for?
The Rex45 definitely but maybe both.
-Darby
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Predicting how fast sprints and exclusives will sell isn’t always easy—as evidenced by Knifeworks actually having to reduce prices to clear their last couple of Militarys, a CF/Ti S90V framelock and a G10 C20V. Both made with materials that have always been popular, yet they sat at the warehouse for freaking ever.

But the safer prediction is that a prospective buyer won’t have the ability to wait until s/he hears reviews from people who already purchased, because the knives will sell out in minutes.
JH153945

Post by JH153945 »

Dealer list for dealers in United States that get
Exclusive and Sprint Runs especially interested in hollow grind in all metal blade types on Manix 2