PRICING

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Re: PRICING

Post by tonijedi »

I hate the fact that I have to agree with the OP.
For now I'm only interested in H1 Salt line... LC200N offers cost 1.5 to 2 times more here in EU.
I was interested in trying a SE short utility kitchen knife, but it costs 40 euros + shipping, which makes it really expensive.
Generally speaking, hope there are cheaper options on next reveals.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

My .02 is that yes, Spyderco is getting to be more expensive than a lot of people can easily afford. Yes, the quality of the product (especially the American made knives) is worth it. What I’ve noticed is that Spyderco has largely moved out of the scope of the “average” buyer unfortunately, save their most popular Chinese models like the Tenacious. I see it the same as Surefire lights vs Streamlight. Surefire are the benchmark in weapon lights in most cases, but they are like 3 times the price of a Streamlight. Not that Surefire isn’t worth it, but I’m not military or LEO, I’m not working every day with a rifle, so the value of a Surefire isn’t there for me personally. I am still willing to spend the money on a Spyderco knife because I am an enthusiast and I want to support a great company, but if I wasn’t a knife enthusiast and didn’t have any strong feeling or connection towards one company or another I might not see the same value.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yes things are getting more expensive, including our beloved knives. I don't think Spyderco's pricing is out of line compared to any of the other knife companies. If something's no longer worth the price to you it's time to look at other options.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Last edited by JohnDoe99 on Sun May 17, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:33 am
Well, it is a free market and we all get to decide what is a good value and what isn’t. Just keep voting with your wallet and let the market sort the rest out.

Spyderco knives are not competing in a free market. The MAP is a price control. It is a price floor and as such is an example of market regulation. If we really did have a free market, we would have prices like they were for years pre-2016. The Delica used to be in the low-60's, now it is almost 90. That is nearly a 50% increase in 5 years. So given that the market is not allowed to be freely competitive with the MAP, that must mean there has been either a dramatic increase in costs somewhere, or something else is going on...

I just got back into Spyderco and bought 4 models yesterday. All were purchased on ebay from individual buys or small businesses undercutting the MAP by hiding the advertised price. Apparently it is getting difficult to move these knives. Were it not for these few individuals and small businesses, I would never buy a Spyderco because the cost are just too high due to the MAP. The MAP basically killed the small businesses using Ebay and Amazon as a competitive edge and handed everything over to retailers like knifecenter or BHQ.

Also, I think the exclusive model scalpers have gotten even worse. If Spyderco can push a price control on us and artificially inflate the market, why can't Spyderco also instruct those selling exclusive models to offer only 1 per household and specific to an address within a certain region? If you want to control prices, why not also control distribution? Otherwise you have these people who do nothing besides buy bulk models across different addresses solely to scam legitimate users.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Compared to what? Cheap Chinese knives?

I consider Spyderco pricing extremely fair & reasonable.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Be sure to take in all of the different Spyderco models. There are some DEALS in their catalog, but you need to know what you are looking at.

For instance, look at the price of the Province in 4V! Where can you get a knife like that in that steel for that price!!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Haunted House wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm
Compared to what? Cheap Chinese knives?

I consider Spyderco pricing extremely fair & reasonable.
Does't make sense to talk about Spyderco as if they are an "American Made" company when the overwhelming majority of their production occurs outside the US, with a substantial portion of that from China.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JonDoe,

Welcome to our forum.

About 10% of our knives are made in China, by choice.

sal
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

As someone who buys several knives per month and who owns multiple knives of brands like Benchmade, Kershaw, Civivi, and CRKT I can say that as a whole, Spyderco's pricing is not out of line based on what else is out there.

There is a big difference between a $80 Kershaw in M390 and a $150 Spyderco in M390. While they are both pocket knives, there's a whole lot more to it with a Spyderco. Generally speaking, you're getting more for your money with a Spyderco. The design is more intelligent, the ergonomics are more natural, and the operation is smoother, while being safer.

In no other knife company can you find as wide of a selection of steels, proven locking mechanisms, and different designs as you can with Spyderco.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Spyderco Inc. is a business and as such it is "an activity or enterprise entered into for profit." Having said that I feel their business practices in all areas, specifically pricing and quality; are extremely equitable. Over the span of approximately 42 years Spyderco has evolved into a major manufacturer of quality products through hard work, fair prices, and outstanding quality. In my opinion none of this would have been possible without a genuine concern for their customers. Basically what I am saying through my rather verbose rant is I think Spyderco's prices are fair and reasonable and I have no reservations about spending my money on their products. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i agree on some levels and have said so in the past. specific models are priced way too high for me to even consider and the pricing between models using the same materials doesn’t match up. these inconsistencies tell me it’s at least not all about material and production costs. same with the scheduled price increase on the new year every year. i think that’s super lame and disingenuous to blame on increased costs. however, it just so happens that i really like some spyderco models and consider them to be a good value for me. i imagine that’s the same for everyone. buy the models you consider a good value and skip the rest. but you only have two hands and so many pockets anyway.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

SubMicron wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm
As someone who buys several knives per month and who owns multiple knives of brands like Benchmade, Kershaw, Civivi, and CRKT I can say that as a whole, Spyderco's pricing is not out of line based on what else is out there.

There is a big difference between a $80 Kershaw in M390 and a $150 Spyderco in M390. While they are both pocket knives, there's a whole lot more to it with a Spyderco. Generally speaking, you're getting more for your money with a Spyderco. The design is more intelligent, the ergonomics are more natural, and the operation is smoother, while being safer.

In no other knife company can you find as wide of a selection of steels, proven locking mechanisms, and different designs as you can with Spyderco.
We've also seen from testing, that Spyderco is quite often doing a better job with their heat treatments, than many other companies.

One of the large knife companies I've bought from, gets healthy HRC numbers, but the steel feels gummy on the stones, and loses it's sharpness quickly. I've never had issues like that with Spyderco.

And I have to agree, wholeheartedly, with everyone mentioning the Manix 2. Even in the standard S30V configuration, it's a smoking deal, incredibly ergonomic, and the blade shape is one of my favorites for utility work.

All of the salt knives are a great deal. I don't know of any other major manufacturers, who make "rust-proof" blades. I'm sure some custom makers do, but that's an apples to oranges comparison.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t see how we talk about rising prices without talking about tariffs, a risky subject, except to say that tariffs do change what was, which is their purpose.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

SubMicron wrote:
Those are all subjective things and not facts. Ergonomics differ for everyone. Would you pay twice as much for everything in life even if it does feel slightly better in the hand? I don't think many people would. That's a very hard sell. Someone could easily say Kershaw has better ergos and a more "intelligent design" and who's to say they're wrong? Just playing some devil's advocate here...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Eh. 20 years ago I figured $150 was reasonable for a good knife that I was going to carry every day. I get twitchy at $200 now. The Siren is high on my list.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:20 pm
SubMicron wrote:
Those are all subjective things and not facts. Ergonomics differ for everyone. Would you pay twice as much for everything in life even if it does feel slightly better in the hand? I don't think many people would. That's a very hard sell. Someone could easily say Kershaw has better ergos and a more "intelligent design" and who's to say they're wrong? Just playing some devil's advocate here...
i just bought a composite dividend for $80. never thought i’d buy another kershaw, let alone spend that much on one. i couldn’t pass it up though because it’s cool. anyway, once i got it i realized its way smaller than my favorite spydercos (manix and yojimbo), but has more blade. i would call it a very nice design. not quite as ergonomic, but far more efficient, and still plenty comfortable to hold and use. it depends on what people prioritize.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

My most recent Spyderco purchase was a Native 5 LW in REX-45 and I paid $112 at an online authorized dealer.

Show me a knife for a lower price that gives me similar or better cutting power in terms of edge retention and strength while also being safe to reliably open and close with one hand under stress.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i have been saying that spyderco has lost their value since map was introduced and feel they inflated their prices to be close to benchmade. no i do not compare spyderco to a chinese company but i did always compare them to benchmade. they used to be a better value than benchmade and now they are about the same.

yes the different costs between models with the same steel are the indicators that something is inflated just because, no reason. the watu is a bad value at 200 when i bought a 20cv manix for 140. the siren is the same way, you can get a native in lc200n for 130$ but a siren at 170$ no. the delica was value at 70$ not 90$.

i agree that marking them up more every year is a shady thing to do when we dont get paid more.

anymore spyderco is just a symbol like benchmade is, over priced for allot of the knives. sprints are the only place there is value and even then you have to work hard to get it soon enough the ******* **** scalpers get it and spyderco just does nothing. sprints should be sold thru the forums first, you know the place where we ask for the steels or models. we should have first access to them thru the forums then the public can have whats left.

now also please dont get me wrong in thinking i do not like spyderco, i love spyderco and their amazing quality and how they stand by their products and bring to market things we do ask for. no other company does that.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I choose to buy Spyderco because they are consistent in fit, finish and ergonomics.
No matter where a Spyderco knife is produced I know that the manufacturer and processes have all passed muster. Take the Rheinhold Rhino as an example the first production run never made it to market... it didn’t meet their standards so they re-engineered it at another location. The financial hit was absorbed by Spyderco because they try to do the right thing.
How many companies are prepared to take the risk on first time designers, new designs, new steels etc?
Their integrity comes through in all aspects of their interactions with us, the ELU and with their collaborators.
This is what I am paying for.
Just my 2 cents. :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson