PRICING

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

PRICING

Post by Slash »

IS NOT in-line with inflation. Less the price of chicken or pork due to coronavirus issues
Haven't bought a spyderco in months
Sorry for rant and post, just had to let you know
I understand there're many hands in the cookie jar. But, unless something is done I won't be buying
For example $168 for siren? Like the design, just not paying that

Long time buyer, collector, user in case you're wondering

*EDIT* CAVED IN AND PURCHASED THE SIREN
Siren...worth every penny. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. Action is very smooth as always from Golden.
Don't know why I even questioned it??
Very similar to the Goddard I gave to my dad.
Thanks for everything you guys do

Had some nice stock profits recently that justified my need for more steel
Last edited by Slash on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

Re: PRICING

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Well, it is a free market and we all get to decide what is a good value and what isn’t. Just keep voting with your wallet and let the market sort the rest out.

The prices of most things are outpacing inflation in my opinion.

I personally agree that the value is lacking with some models. I am pretty much done buying most of the Seki models. The Siren doesn’t seem too bad to me though. It’s made in Golden with an exotic steel. There isn’t much else out there like it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Your money, your choice as to how you spend it.

Me, I don't see Sal and his family as greedy, so I assume prices are based on total costs plus a reasonable profit margin. I also know costs include more than just the cost of the material and labor it took to produce a knife in Golden or the price set by the foreign maker to produce it. There are also things like shipping, insurance, advertising, and operational costs. On collaboration models, the designer must also be paid. Then too, there are things like the amortization of the expense they incurred expanding the Golden factory and the R&D costs associated with each new model and each CQI improvement to an existing one. And I suspect that list is not complete.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is not just American inflation. USD against foreign currency, cost of foreign parts, labor, and a whole lot more. Even in the USA, with USA made knives, the costs keep rising. Some businesses have to pay manual labor as much as a PhD makes. Then, there is the cost of medical insurance, which is really high since Obama Care for all of my business owner friends, hourly wages, electricity (Spyderco is not on TVA!), and other cost overheads. There are many things I am not mentioning, but the idea is presented clearly. There are a lot of knives I would love to buy from Spyderco, but with the exchange rate as it is, I do not buy them. I stick to what will not get me in the dog house with my wife. Just do that. Be sane. Costs are what they are.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
phaust

Post by phaust »

It's an old discussion at this point, ever since MAP was introduced at least.

I think it helps to look at price as part of the design. Is it a feature on the knife that I appreciate? Is it something I can live with? If neither, I pass on the knife, just like any other part of the design.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Value is always going to have an element of subjectivity to it, but I see Spyderco as providing a lot of knife for the money one pays, especially when compared to some other makers.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

LC200N is actually really expensive. You wont be getting a steel designed by NASA for cheap.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I wouldn't consider LC200N expensive. I can get it myself, for a pretty reasonable price. M4 is similar in price.

Vanax/cron... THAT'S expensive.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Honestly for me it seems like the sprint runs have been at wonderful values lately compared to production models or some exclusives. The Manix 2 rex 45 and PM2 S45VN were good prices. So I am finding more value in Golden sprint runs (again this is just my opinion based on my needs/available money). Production models out of Seki just don't do it for me anymore. I strongly prefer G10 to FRN. There is great value in the straight spine stretch but at the end of the day the Manix2 rex kicked it out of my pocket.
The Watu is expensive but you do get 20cv and I love the design. The swayback is $270ish and it has a framelock (not my favorite), no wire clip (meh) blade is on the thick side (roadie-esque). Not sure I can justify the cost for my preferences. But other people can and should bc it's going to be a well built knife and good on spyderco for making it.
For everyone feeling left out by wages not increasing and cost of living increasing, at least we have the annual discontinued list. Wish ebay coupons was still a thing. Maybe it will make a comeback. I feel like record unemployment will cause luxury retailers (aka knafs) to have more sales.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

For me its the size of my collection that is the problem.

Spending $200 on one tool that you will use every day for the rest of your life seems reasonable.

Having a few different versions of that tool for different tasks also seems reasonable. A salt series, a stainless edc, a tool steel/supersteel model for rough stuff.

Now wanting to have a collection of knives is when I have to be honest with myself. Do I really need 10 different models all in the same steel? Do I really need 5 of the same model in different steels?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 am
I wouldn't consider LC200N expensive. I can get it myself, for a pretty reasonable price. M4 is similar in price.

From what I've seen, it's more than double the cost of S30V.

Edit: More expensive for the same size bar stock.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Albatross wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:17 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

I must ask where you are looking? From the places I can find, LC200N is $10 cheaper than S30V, for a .125"×1.5"×24" bar.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am
Albatross wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

I must ask where you are looking? From the places I can find, LC200N is $10 cheaper than S30V, for a .125"×1.5"×24" bar.
I looked around and it appears that cost varies quite a lot, depending on the source. Each of the steels mentioned, has quite a variance.

I wonder though, what more buying power would yield, if anything.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

I don't think Spyderco's pricing is unreasonable, considering the quality of the output product.
However, I have to agree that the Seki line can feel sometimes a bit overpriced, but there are some good models still.
The Golden models are amazingly consistent though, while I find some of the sprints to be relatively expensive.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
jdw

Post by jdw »

Seki has lost its value to me as a consumer but the value of quality received out of Golden has only improved. For me, the REX Manix Sprint is one of the highest quality knives that I have ever received relative to the cost.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Albatross wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:06 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am
Albatross wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

I looked around and it appears that cost varies quite a lot, depending on the source. Each of the steels mentioned, has quite a variance.

I wonder though, what more buying power would yield, if anything.
Yea, they do have a large variance. The cheapest I could find was still $10 more than LC200N.

As for buying power, couldn't say. I imagine bulk pricing is based on tonnage.

-Thomas Jefferson
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:01 am
Honestly for me it seems like the sprint runs have been at wonderful values lately compared to production models or some exclusives. The Manix 2 rex 45 and PM2 S45VN were good prices.
.......IF you can buy the sprint/exclusive inside a 30 second window.....then you have to go to the secondary market and really pay an inflated price. With so many drops in the past 2 months I ended up buying 5 knives (4 Para 2's, 1 Manix 2, REC & St. Nick's) on the secondary market that cost me a premium/penalty of $382.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I find the vast majority of models/configurations are a good or great value. As others have stated, looking at the recent Rex45 sprints I think they are incredible values, and there are certainly many more to be had... of course different folks will have different needs or wants, which will make some models a better value than others. Voting with ones wallet is the most direct and useful way of expressing your support (or lack there of) for a company and their pricing. :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

CXXX wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:01 am
Honestly for me it seems like the sprint runs have been at wonderful values lately compared to production models or some exclusives. The Manix 2 rex 45 and PM2 S45VN were good prices.
.......IF you can buy the sprint/exclusive inside a 30 second window.....then you have to go to the secondary market and really pay an inflated price. With so many drops in the past 2 months I ended up buying 5 knives (4 Para 2's, 1 Manix 2, REC & St. Nick's) on the secondary market that cost me a premium/penalty of $382.
I was lucky and the Manix2 rex45 and cs od green orange exclusive para 3 weren't instant sellouts. I hate having to pay up on the secondary so I try to stay away if I miss out the first time. But I definitely have paid up in the past.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think Spyderco’s prices are fair, more than fair compared to some other makers. If I buy directly from the SFO I know I will be getting an actual, bona fide Spyderco and the support of the entire company. I have three Spydercos, two Para 3s (one LW and one S30V DLC) and a Watu. For my daily needs I prefer the Watu and carry it constantly. Often, I also pocket a Para 3. They both came from SFO and are pretty much close to perfect. I was willing to pay the price because, well, quality, design, Spyderco.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation