What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Been carrying this knife for about two weeks. Doesn’t get much better than this one!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yeah, I’m still bummed I didn’t jump on that one like a chicken on a June bug...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:47 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:31 pm
autoxer wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:27 am
A new one... :rolleyes:
Congrats on having a Manix back in your life! ;) :p Beautiful picture!
Thanks, just wanted to congrat you on your great PM2 pic above too... :p

/ Yes, I am happy to have a Manix once more! And funny, all that contemplating about the G10 Rex 45 Manix and what I really want in a knife, made clear for me that still the LW platform is the way to go for me personally. At least as long as I have already several linered knives like Endura, Stretch, Endela, Delica and Chap.

/ How do you like your orange S90V Manix LW meanwhile?
Well, the lynch clip arrived, but sadly it's too short to help with my grip when closing the knife. If they made a longer one, I think it'd make a big difference. Luckily I like the lynch clip a lot on the para3 lw, so it won't go to waste. As it is, I like the manix lw enough to keep it around and see how much I carry it this summer. It definitely fills a niche in my collection for a bigger lightweight knife, and I do want to give s90v a fair go.

Btw, I have tried closing it as you suggested, but it's very awkward for me. Feels like my hands are too small to grip the lock in that position. But I'll keep trying. :)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

ThomC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:15 am

It is surprisingly hefty ! Almost as big as the Millie but only 140gr. It's really good. I didn't think I'd like the CBBL, but day one impressions are good. I'll admit half the reason I bought it is the steel.
That's a totally legit reason to buy any Spyderco! I think a big S90V blade like that makes for a perfect yard work folder :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Tools for the week; CTS-XHP/CTS-204P/ZDP-189; liking these (new to me) Tero-tuff scales :spyder:

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:34 pm
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ersXjJt.jpg
Very nice. :cool: :spyder: I don't usually go for blacked out knives, but it looks great with the smooth scales. Are those from the KC Cruwear Native or...?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Enactive wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 pm
Very nice. :cool: :spyder: I don't usually go for blacked out knives, but it looks great with the smooth scales. Are those from the KC Cruwear Native or...?
Thank you, yes it’s a blade swap between the KC smooth G10 Cruwear exclusive and the BHQ DLC M4 exclusive. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
autoxer wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:29 am

Well, the lynch clip arrived, but sadly it's too short to help with my grip when closing the knife. If they made a longer one, I think it'd make a big difference. Luckily I like the lynch clip a lot on the para3 lw, so it won't go to waste. As it is, I like the manix lw enough to keep it around and see how much I carry it this summer. It definitely fills a niche in my collection for a bigger lightweight knife, and I do want to give s90v a fair go.

Btw, I have tried closing it as you suggested, but it's very awkward for me. Feels like my hands are too small to grip the lock in that position. But I'll keep trying. :)
Yes, the LW is a great summer-shorts-knife! :) Light weight in larger size actually "feels lighter" than the same light weight in smaller size, and as a matter of fact light weight in large size is less "bouncy" in light-garment-pockets than light weight in small size.

/ On different closing methods of the CBBL: There are several more I use (for me the CBBL is the second most versatile lock in use, just the backlock is better). Maybe I´ll start a thread on this and try to post some vids.

Perhaps your hands are too small for the one I described, but perhaps I just did not explain it properly?
The basic idea is:
You still pull the CBBL with thumb and index finger,but don´t put the other three fingers on the clip, but like in a "regular grip" around the handle (so middlefinger, ringfinger, pinky on the downside of the handle) - for me that is even easier to do than with the fingers on the clip - ?! (And the knife is more secure in my hand) . but it might not be for your hands of course
Then you just let the blade drop (or give it a little shake if it is not free dropping) like many do with a backlock
From there on you just do whatever you´d do when you´re closing a backlock.

I don´t know if you can pull the CBBL with just the thumb on one tab (instead of two fingers and using both tabs), but if you can here is another method:
- Index finger in the opening hole, thumb on the lock tab, other fingers in the downside of the handle
- Pull the lock with the thumb
- Guide the blade to closed with the index finger while moving the other fingers out of the way in the process

For me both the above methods work as fast/easy or even faster/easier than the usual CBBL closing method ("swing" the blade to close with all fingers out of the way) when I start from a realistic grip you´d use for cutting stuff
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Slo-mo fire and the Rex Military!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Su-weet! My millie doesn’t work like that :(

To remove lateral blade wiggle, I’ve got to tighten the pivot to the point the blade doesn’t move under its own weight. I can “spydie-drop” it but mostly just thumb it open. Need new pivot washers I guess. Not that I mind; it makes for a very controlled one-hand close.

So I think the washer are too thick, given the interference fit I’m getting. Maybe I could lay them on a white ceramic stone and home them a bit?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Yes, the LW is a great summer-shorts-knife! :) Light weight in larger size actually "feels lighter" than the same light weight in smaller size, and as a matter of fact light weight in large size is less "bouncy" in light-garment-pockets than light weight in small size.

/ On different closing methods of the CBBL: There are several more I use (for me the CBBL is the second most versatile lock in use, just the backlock is better). Maybe I´ll start a thread on this and try to post some vids.

Perhaps your hands are too small for the one I described, but perhaps I just did not explain it properly?
The basic idea is:
You still pull the CBBL with thumb and index finger,but don´t put the other three fingers on the clip, but like in a "regular grip" around the handle (so middlefinger, ringfinger, pinky on the downside of the handle) - for me that is even easier to do than with the fingers on the clip - ?! (And the knife is more secure in my hand) . but it might not be for your hands of course
Then you just let the blade drop (or give it a little shake if it is not free dropping) like many do with a backlock
From there on you just do whatever you´d do when you´re closing a backlock.

I don´t know if you can pull the CBBL with just the thumb on one tab (instead of two fingers and using both tabs), but if you can here is another method:
- Index finger in the opening hole, thumb on the lock tab, other fingers in the downside of the handle
- Pull the lock with the thumb
- Guide the blade to closed with the index finger while moving the other fingers out of the way in the process

For me both the above methods work as fast/easy or even faster/easier than the usual CBBL closing method ("swing" the blade to close with all fingers out of the way) when I start from a realistic grip you´d use for cutting stuff
W, I'm starting a new thread on this so I don't derail this one...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

UKPK today

- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ready for a Bombshell to drop! ;)

-Nick :bug-red
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 pm

What model is that? Don't ever remember seeing it before.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Holland

Post by Holland »

This weeks rotation

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:00 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 pm

[mg] https://i.imgur.com/4zVJQST.jpg [mg]
What model is that? Don't ever remember seeing it before.
This is the Chubby by Michael Burch. Definitely lives up to its name at 2.3" blade length and .175" blade thickness. :)
-Nick :bug-red