Sharpening a Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

Re: Sharpening a Knife

Post by FeistyKat »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:12 am
This is a clip from a Saturday morning kids show from the '80s. I still remember watching this at the time with my sister and laughing til we almost cried at the mayhem that Rags the Red Kangaroo caused in the TV studio: :D

https://youtu.be/SYaIDupJXcs

I think Rags won that fight. He even got his keeper on the ground, and got a nice groin shot. He got a grunt out of the keeper so I assume he made contact.

I remember watching Skippy the Bush Kangaroo back in the day:
https://youtu.be/4dXOTFvVWkQ
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Start with the cheap knives, and don’t move on to the better stuff until you’re confident.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chris,

I don't recommend lubrication on the ceramic stones. I believe they work better dry. The corners of the medium stone work best once broken in (see video) When it comes to diamonds and CBN, the only reason to use any lubrication at all is do be easier on the abrasives. The diamonds and CBN are plated on to the embryo and more often than not, people press too hard thinking they will cut faster and often dislodge the stone from the matrix. I use them dry and as mentioned a light touch is all that is needed. Check the edge with your loupe about every 20 strokes or so and you will see the scratch pattern change and the edge is easier to understand.

sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

FeistyKat wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:53 am
Bloke wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:44 am
That said I’m fairly idle and use the stones dry but Windex does make a noticeable difference and works just as well on diamonds. :)

I'm with Cambertree, I'm not keen on inhaling steel dust, so I may try both water & Windex to see how I like them.

Is your avatar photo real? Do kangaroos hop around on the beach? I always thought they were more inland.

And do they make good pets? We were watching "cute animal" videos on YouTube the other night and someone was bottle feeding two rather large roos in their kitchen. There was discussion about their large feet being formidable weapons and we decided they probably aren't the best choice for a pet, even if we could locate one.

I'm still holding out for a coatimundi. They're sort of indigenous to us.
Sorry to continue the sidetrack, but...
We had a pet kangaroo. Can't say they make good pets, but had fun with it till it bit my Dad on the butt as he was coming in the house one night from working the night shift.

FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm
Sorry to continue the sidetrack, but...
We had a pet kangaroo. Can't say they make good pets, but had fun with it till it bit my Dad on the butt as he was coming in the house one night from working the night shift.

Bit him, like a guard dog?

That kangaroo has a pretty big hacky sack. Can you get a kangaroo neutered?
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 am
Start with the cheap knives, and don’t move on to the better stuff until you’re confident.

I have a few generic kitchen knives in the drawer that I'll start with. I also found a wood handled Chicago Cutlery chef's knife this evening that came from my mom's kitchen. I don't know it that's a bomb brand, I remember being TOLD it was, but I'll use it as one of my guinea pigs.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

sal wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 am
Hi Chris,

I don't recommend lubrication on the ceramic stones. I believe they work better dry. The corners of the medium stone work best once broken in (see video) When it comes to diamonds and CBN, the only reason to use any lubrication at all is do be easier on the abrasives. The diamonds and CBN are plated on to the embryo and more often than not, people press too hard thinking they will cut faster and often dislodge the stone from the matrix. I use them dry and as mentioned a light touch is all that is needed. Check the edge with your loupe about every 20 strokes or so and you will see the scratch pattern change and the edge is easier to understand.

sal

Is floating residue from sharpening a problem? I've been thinking about it & it seems like being steel it would drop to the table, but who am I to say?

I'm really looking forward to using a loupe. I can't imagine what I will learn, it should be fun.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

OK. I watched the Spyderco video & got inspired.

Dug out my Sharpmaker, grabbed my Native Stainless Steel. It sharpened up nicely with about 80 strokes on the grey stones (edge & flat). It now shaves paper fairly well. Another turn on the gray stones should do it. I am impressed. With both the knife and the sharpener.

I also gave my Cold Steel Counter Point a quick touch up on the grey stones. I'm not going to spend any more time on that, there's no point with a Native Shaman on the way! *coff coff* Sadly I had to settle for S30V. Oh well.

I also gave that Chicago Cutlery knife 80 licks on the grey stones. It was a blunt object when I started, now it's thinking about shaving paper. I'll work on it some more when my CBN rods arrive.

One thing, though, and I'll bet Sal can shed some light on this: I think I may have a Sharpmaker v0.5. The base has only one set of holes for the rods, it doesn't have a place on the bottom to accommodate two rods for flat sharpening and it doesn't have a cover.

Now, I do have a Sharpmaker that does have all that (cover, two sets of holes for rods, etc.) Somewhere.

The reason I have two SharpMakers is that I couldn't find my first SM, so I ordered a new one. I think the one with the plain base might be the second one I ordered online in 1999 (was there an on-line back then?), but I'm not sure. It is labelled "Spyderco".

Sal, someone mentioned a Sharpmaker they bought at a show that came in a bag, no case. Is there a "budget" version of the Sharpmaker available? Could that be what I am working with?

The second one I bought was purchased in 1999 for $55 from Golden Promotions. Is Golden Promotions Spyderco?

I'm thinking I bought my Sharpmaker with 2 sets of holes for rods, cover, etc at the Del Mar Fair back in the 80's. Were they available then?

Oh, and on a totally unrelated note, how do you sharpen the front tip on a tanto blade? I always hated sharpening the tip on my Cold Steel Tanto. I really liked the look of the blade, though, and eventually I want to get a Spyderco Tanto (Bob Lum?) Anyway, do you sharpen a Tanto Tip by setting the rods flat in the case and sharpening it like a chisel?

EDIT: OK, it looks like I'm using a SharpMaker 203 and would like to be using a 204 base. Sal, can I order a 204 base to use with my 203 rods?
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I am the one who bought an older Sharpmaker, it would have been sometime in the late 1980’s maybe 1990. I think it was numbered the model 203.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kat,

I think the older one with only one hole is an older version. I think the newer version with the 2 sets of anles would be the best.

We don't sell the base without the stones as the old stones are slightly different.

sal
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

sal wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am
Hi Kat,

I think the older one with only one hole is an older version. I think the newer version with the 2 sets of anles would be the best.

We don't sell the base without the stones as the old stones are slightly different.

sal

Well, I know my other sharpener is around here somewhere. I'll find it.

Re: the stones. In the pouch I keep my 203 in, I have three white & three gray stones. I'm thinking I've mixed in two stones from my 204. How can I tell them apart? Or do I not need to worry about it as long as they fit in the base?

Oh, my CBN stones arrived today. Fast shipping from Deadwood Knives!

Sal, what is your technique for using the CBN stones? In the video you mention used the gray stones until the knife can cut paper. Is there a rule of thumb for CBN?
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Hey, Sal-

What is your technique for using the CBN stones?

In the SharpMaker video you mention using the gray stones until the knife can cut paper.

Is there a rule of thumb for CBN stones?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kat,

The CBN stones are more for re-profiling the edge. Light strokes. I use them to make sure the two sides of the edge are met. It is possible that you can get some edges shaving sharp with just CBN.

We have a new CBN flat stone with 400 mesh on one side and 1,000 mesh on the other side. I sharpened a proto 3.5" CPK with just the 400 mesh and was able to just barely shave.

sal
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

sal wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 am
Hi Kat,

The CBN stones are more for re-profiling the edge. Light strokes. I use them to make sure the two sides of the edge are met. It is possible that you can get some edges shaving sharp with just CBN.

We have a new CBN flat stone with 400 mesh on one side and 1,000 mesh on the other side. I sharpened a proto 3.5" CPK with just the 400 mesh and was able to just barely shave.

sal
Wow that is very exciting! I'm going to grab a pair at least. Love y'alls CBN :-)
~andrew
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 am
Hi Kat,

sal
A new stone?! That's exciting!

Would Spyderco ever consider making their own CBN/Diamond emulsions/sprays?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Albatross,

The new stone has been a long time process. 3" X 8". No plans for any sprays.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I know what my next stone will be!

I also want one of those fancy ones BBB has, but they be 'spensive!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Fair enough. Thanks Sal.

I'll have to get one of those new stones, once they come to market. Can't wait!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Does anyone know where the Spyderco 400 mesh would rank on this chart? I'm guessing ANSI but if anyone knows I'm curious.

-Turbo
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am
I know what my next stone will be!

I also want one of those fancy ones BBB has, but they be 'spensive!
Bonded CBN is utterly game-changing. I've had the resin-bonded version for over a year. No question it's expensive but it's such a dramatic performance increase that you just won't go back to conventional stones. I missed the chance to get into the metallic bonded stones but I'm not sure if the increased resistance to dishing is enough of an incentive. But I love the BBB CBN stones. The medium grit is the most versatile/utilitarian stone i've owned. You could get by with that stone and a 1 micron strop for 90% of your sharpening needs. Expensive but it does a lot and really makes of quality of life difference for sharpening the high vanadium steels we all crave.